Janet Jackson nude - big brother's watching!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by absolut_mac, Feb 2, 2004.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I heard Larry Elder say on the radio today that Tivo reported that that incident with JJ was THE most viewed TV recorded by them - ever.

He then went on to quote stats about the number of viewers, what percentage recorded it and how often they rewound it to watch again and again etc etc.

Isn't that great to know that everything you watch and do on your TV is being recorded by Tivo.

George Orwell and 1984 all over again!!!

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Christ, its no big deal. Its just market data. It's not like they release what you personally view. They probably can't even see what you personally view. It's just the country as a whole. So what. It's their service. How could they NOT know?

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

In slave terms, it's so much of a problem having to wear shackles if we all have to wear them. It just makes it much easier to pick out an individual when needed, drag them along by their chains and beat them to death for not doing what the other well behaved inmates were doing.

Of course you could not pay for the service and do something else instead.:)

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Correct, it's not like you have to have Tivo. It's a completely unnecessary service you don't have to have it.

I knew about them tracking prior to getting the Tivo and I don't have a problem with it. Did you know they do the same thing with Digital Cable boxes? As far as I'm concerned the more Tivos that are out there the more voting power we have on what we watch. I think a lot of the really retarded commercials that are on TV and Radio would go away if they could see the data on how many viewers change the station due to the commercial in question.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    how many units of tivo are there anyway like currently being used have they released any figures, because outside the usa i doubt many people have dvr

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I wonder how many TIVo and DVR owners out there are members of the NRA?

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

People are talking about their viewing habits being monitored. Also many NRA members look at the registering of their guns as away for the government to know too much about them. Much like TIVO does now.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I won't register with the NRA because of the information thing. On the other hand I have absolutely no problems with the Tivo. It's just TV damn it. It's a voting card for what types of shows you like.

I just did some researching and it looks like there are about a million Tivo subscriptions world wide so not many people have them. I could have told you that though. I don't know anyone with one but I have one and am going to get another this year.

10. Wash!! macrumors 6502

people get a life

In this age there is no such thing a privacy.. so get over it.:rolleyes:

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: people get a life

there you go. lets just give up and start living in glass houses.

12. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Re: Re: people get a life

that would be interesting. :)

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Janet Jackson nude - big brother's watching!

That is a really freaky and incestuous title, since it's probably true -- and a lot of brothers sitting down to watch.

Makes you sort of wonder how close the Jackson family really was... :eek:

14. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Sad but true

There is nothing we can do, we are probably the laughing stock of the world, because we make such a big deal of this. Who cares that we show people been blown into pieces, but no we can show a breast on tv but someone been shot and his brains scared all over is ok. such a hypocritical US culture is sad.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Re: Re: Janet Jackson nude - big brother's watching!

There were jokes about that back when...

There was one when Latoya posed in penthouse. Why did she do it? To prove that she wasn't her brother...

16. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

What?

NRA and the averse to registering of guns is because in most cases, registering of guns has lead to confiscation of guns...its even happened in California, though you could argue that California is not part of the United States. ;)

As to TiVo, purchasing/using TiVo is entirely voluntary. Plus, you could always disconnect the phone line going into the unit for when you don't want it to contact the mothership.

Apples and oranges... no similarities.

17. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Janet Jackson nude - big brother's watching!

Sun Baked, that's really funny, and disturbing...:eek:

The only way to keep people from knowing what you're watching on TV is if you use an antenna to get the basic stations.

We're losing privacy as we speak.:(

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: Janet Jackson nude - big brother's watching!

Same thing if you get cable, and you don't use a setup box.

I never liked cable set top boxes that required a phone line or one that periodically contacts the home office. Never did sit right with me. Same thing with a computer that requires a network connection in order to work (remember that thing about PCs that didn't have hard drives?)

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I personally think having a box that tells the office what you watch is a good way to get better programing.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Re: Sad but true

I totally agree. Death and carnage are fine, but a healthy human body... god forbid. :rolleyes:

21. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Re: Sad but true

I agree with Al Bundy, you drool when the boobies are healthy, and gag when you see cellulite laden thighs.

And we definitely want to protect children -- and adults -- from seeing the average American body nude on tv.

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Sad but true

If it's a major television station you will never see the average American body even if nudity is accepted. There ratings would plummet.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Timberlake was shocked. Hahahah. Yeah right.

Maybe this lady should ask the millions of viewers she says were injured by this before standing up for us. I was certainly not injured but at the same time I do not condone their actions. Though on the other hand I think our society is really two faced when it comes to sexuality and the human body.