...January 24th 2004?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brad, Jan 11, 2004.

1. brad macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2001

Apple has recently published an advertisement on their website (ref: above link) which appears to be (from my rather vague memory) a TVC which was aired a long time ago.

At the tail end of the TVC it reads:

"On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like "1984."

Upon closer inspection the girl running through the ad appears to be sporting an ipod.

It begs the question:
    Is this a remake of an old TVC OR did Apple know of its product lineup 20 years ago?

Does Apple have a very special event planned (ie.: reintroduce the Macintosh) for its 20th Anniversary???

2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    just like the keynote said, steve said he has a lot of great things in store for this year, it will be a great 20th anniversary.

3. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    i guess i am not the only one waiting for all that stuff :)
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is correct, you are not alone. The Mac community is anxiously awaiting January 24th.

As iJon said this is going to be a great year for Apple.

Steve said that they just couldn't resist adding the iPod. It made for a great picture.
  5. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2003
    Re: ...January 24th 2004?

There was an article on the front page of MacRumors, Apple digitally added the iPod to the commercial. i think it was a cool idea.
  6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Apple changed the Commerical Slightly by adding the iPod...

I was wondering "WHY" they left the last part on... for old time sake?

I mean obviously its not longer 1984... and the 1984 (book) reference is faded (has everyone here read the book?)...

So I was wondering why they didn't change it.
  7. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2003
    Not quite sure I understand what you mean. The reason why Steve Jobs aired the commercial during his keynote speech was because this superbowl marks the 20th anniversary of the original timed it aired.
  8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    wont it bite if all they do for the 24th is push ipods and mini ipods with no new macs, no new g5 speeds. it wouldnt surprise me at all to only see pods pods and more pods.
  9. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Nope. Here is what it will be:

Ladies and Genltemen - creator of the iPod and the Macintosh: Steve Jobs.
    "Hello, 20yrs ago we released the Macintosh. Today we are killing the Macintosh for good. It is my idea and thats that. I am leaving apple and retiring. All employees are being fired or traded for money. Ive got me a cool 500Million from HP. Enjoy the future. Bye"
  10. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm hoping for new products, but also another great Super Bowl commercial. If they could make it as good as the 1984 one, then it would be an incredible success. Not to mention that millions of people all over the US would see it.
  11. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    How about:

Ladies and Genltemen - creator of the iPod and the Macintosh: Steve Jobs.
    "Hello, 20yrs ago we released the Macintosh. Today we are killing the Macintosh for good. It is my idea and thats that. I am leaving apple and retiring.
    I'm now officially handing the reins over to my good friend Bill Gates. Bill why don't you come up here and say hi. *gates walks on stage with that smug *** little smile he's always wearing and I die on impact with the ground from shock.

And that's the point where I wake up screaming like Homer Simpson in the land without doughnuts.
  12. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    They HAVE to do something new for the 24th ... surely they can't let it pass by with a speed hike to PM G5s alone...
  13. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
  14. Omad0n macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think the book is all that faded. Hell I just read it for the first time about half a year ago. Since then I've found a bunch of people know of it and reference it all the time.
  15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Just having speed bumped PowerMacs on the 24th isn't enough for a 20th anniversary, if you ask me. Something a little bigger will probably happen.

Now, whether it happens on the 24th - a Saturday or the 20th - a Tuesday - remains to be seen. Regardless it should be interesting :D

16. Icekey macrumors member

Oct 14, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    C'mon guys. Nothing will happen on the 24th cause it's a freaking Saturday!!!

I'm sure Apple has something special lined up which isn't going to be known till it is actually released. I can't believe I've been spending the last 8 weeks trying to get a powerbook but have been telling myself to wait till next week, wait till next week.... man, this is frustrating, but I know that it'll even be more frustrating when I see something better!!! Imagine, a special 20th anniversery edition powerbook with engraving on it or something. Now that'll be cool
  17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    It's become such a cultural reference point that you don't need to have read the book....Didn't they just recently title one of the many many reality shows "Big Brother"?
  18. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    I was wondering if it was a tactic to devalue the one word potential of the two word term "Big Brother", It seems that in the UK where the number of revenue raising cameras are nearly out populating their so called masters, if anyone cries "Big Brother" people generally think of a fat blonde girl called "Jade" who thought "East Anglia" was in France. Quite sad really:(
  19. applebum macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2003
    Actually the reference is to the movie. The whole commercial is designed on the movie 1984 which of course was based on the book. Go out and rent it sometime - very odd movie. If they didn't leave that reference, then the whole commercial would kinda lose it's appeal.