January Macworld and Exchange Policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by commander.data, Dec 26, 2006.

  1. commander.data macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    #1
    I was thinking of buying a 2.16GHz MBP in the next few days so that I can spend the holidays installing software and getting it setup. However, with Macworld coming up I'm not sure if this is the right time to buy. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about what Apple plans to introduce that would effect the MBP? Obviously they wouldn't introduce completely new models, but I was thinking they might create a BTO for 256MB in the 2.16GHz model or maybe include a 160GB HDD in the 2.33GHz 15.4". It's doubtful that they would introduce Leopard, but they always launch a new iLife at the January Macworld.

    Does anyone think there will be something worthwhile if I wait 2 weeks. I guess it would also depend on how fast Apple can get from launched to shipping although they are usually pretty quick about it. If I were to buy now, Macworld will be within the 14 day return policy. I'm planning on customizing to a 160GB HDD so that may effect things, but do you think it would be possible for me to exchange to whatever Apple releases on Macworld if it comes to that?
     
  2. weldon macrumors 6502a

    weldon

    Joined:
    May 22, 2004
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #2
    Definitely wait! Returns are harder if you've opened the box, and harder if the order is customized.
     
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #3
    This close to MWSF, I'd definitely wait if possible, if for no other reason than to pick up the iLife bump (which might or might not be worthwhile) and get in on any upgrades - I think you might be on target with the HD bump.
     
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #4
    It is hard to see what new MBPs will come out at Macworld since the next big thing (Santa Rosa and also "Robson" flash memory) is still a few months away. I'd wait for the free iLife bump though.

    If Steve announces a ship date for Leopard during MWSF, there is also a likelihood that he will unveil "higher resolution" Macbook Pros that are "ready for Leopard's resolution independence UI" (and then release yet another bump for Santa Rosa when Leopard is released :p )
     
  5. buffalo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs / Ohio
    #5
    What is the "Robson" flash memory you speak of, and when is Santa Rosa slated for release?
     
  6. weldon macrumors 6502a

    weldon

    Joined:
    May 22, 2004
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #6
  7. buffalo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs / Ohio
  8. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #8
    It is still quite a while before we can expect SR, so much so that we haven't even seen any "Santa Rosa waiting thread" popping up yet :rolleyes:
     
  9. firefoxnx macrumors member

    firefoxnx

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    No point waiting

    There is no point waiting for MW'07. It is extremely unlikely that any updates to MB/MBP will be announced. Look at Intel's pipeline for mobile CPU's. There is nothing till 2nd half of 2007. If you want 15/17 inch MB/MBP and can wait till June/July 07 then do that. But not for MW07.

    The new flash hybrid hard drives are a minor update.
     

Share This Page