January: What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Jan 21, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's time for some updates on what everyone's reading now.

I've finished Saints and Villians by Denise Giardina. A good historical novel about Deitrich Bonhoeffer. While mostly fictitious, a good insight to his life.

Also finished A Confederacy of Dunces. Great book!

This semester I'm taking a class on teaching methods for young adult literature for my Masters in Teaching. At age 43 and along with two other over 40s in my class, we are enjoying the modern novels we missed during our high school years. We all agreed that being forced to read A Tale of Two Cities, and Shakespeare pretty much ruined our desire to read. Our eyes are being opened to some wonderful novels (old and new) for today's middle to high schoolers.

That being said, in four days I've finished Alice, I Think by Susan Juby, and The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton. Both are first person journals. Alice was written in 2003, and Outsiders in 1967. I think the latter is considered one of the classic young adult novels.

Next I'm reading Shooter by Walter Dean Myer. We're required to read 25 novels this semester, but I think I'll have no problem reading many more as much as I'm enjoying this reading so far.

2. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Well, with the new semester I'm snuggling up with some great ones:

Vector Calculus

Linear Algebra

American Government

Should be a great semester...not. ;)

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Just finishing up Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card [audible.com, baby].
    I keep finding things to keep me from books 2 & 3 of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I love him, but I always need a break from him when I complete one of his books, and then I have to mentally prepare myself to dive back in.
    I have a pile of 20 books staring at me accusingly whenever I enter the bedroom.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Was just thinking about starting this thread while I was out walking the dog!

Hiding in the Mirror : The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond by Lawrence Krauss. I'm terrible at math and the mathematical side of physics (ha!), but I love the theory and ideas.

Ring of Fire by Lisa Jarnot.

Book 59 of New American Paintings.

The obligatory student writing.

@iSaint:

So glad your MAT program is focusing on books kids will care about. I'm tearing my hair out over the curriculum requirements in Providence (which require both Tale of Two Cities and Macbeth). I have free reading periods on Fridays, and I have "letter journals" going on with each kid about their free reading, but once a week just isn't enough.

It's hard to choose the district you want to teach in -- I chose the chance to help kids in a tough spot over a district with sound curriculum and it too often makes me too miserable. Stuff to think about when you look for jobs ...

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Talk To The Hand by wassername who did Eats, Shoots And Leaves (UK people should be able to help me out here), then, when Peers get's better, Fall Of Reach

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Trying to finish Chapterhouse Dune, the last book in the Dune saga (not counting the post Frank Herbert prequels). Heretics of Dune was boring, and Chapterhouse started out dull, but has picked up a bit now that I'm over halfway through it...

Problem is that other stuff has piled up on my night stand, quite literally, since I've taken so long one those two (even if I did manage to squeeze in a re-read of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe between the them).

7. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Last night I started reading Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Path. It's a collection of letters written by Richard P. Feynman (a Nobel prize winning physicist) throughout his lifetime. I've only read the first two sections, but it is really interesting so far.

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

my mom just sent me a copy of Michael Moore's "Will They Ever Trust Us Again"

Although truthfully outside of work and snowboarding I seldom have any non-bathroom reading time so it's a slow go.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

One Zero Charlie

My grandfather actually learned to fly at Galt airport and I have been there a few times. Nice place. Actually, I have flown into there to get fuel. Flying small planes in farm regions is fun.

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

The World According to Clarkson, iCon Steve Jobs, and Let it Bleed, by Ian Rankin.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this month, "Einstein = mc2, A Relative History" by dr. donald goldsmith and robert libbon

last month, "Special Theory of Relativity" and "General Theory of Relativity" by albert einstein

next up, finish "The Very Best of the Feynman Lectures" by richard feynman

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

just finished up Siddhartha for school... boring book

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Shadows in the wind. not very interesting but cool if you are bored.

Bless

14. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Lynn Truss?

(and I'm in the US)

15. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Im about halfway through Rage by Johnathan Kellerman, also read through a couple MAD Magazines:D

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

That's the one ;) The reason I asked for UK people is because the book is based on a series she did for Radio 4

18. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I am reading Watermelon by Marian Keyes. This is a great chick - lit book! :)

19. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm the beneficiary of an incredible professor/friend who's retiring after this semester. I have him for both of my classes (the other is philosophy and history of education in the US), and he's so passionate and inspirational about teaching.

My daughter is in the 6th grade and she's being encouraged to read. For Accelerated Reader she's stuck on Nancy Drew. But, as a class they are reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and are going to see a play on it when they finish the book.

It will be interesting to see where I end up teaching. I'm sure I'll try to work in some of these types of books no matter where I end up. thanks!!!