Japan and the xbox 360. Just crazy

Discussion in 'Games' started by coffey7, Jul 18, 2006.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

First of all I think if the xbox and the xbox 360 were made by a company based in Japan(with the same games) it would be a top seller. I find it hard to believe that not one single game is appealing to them. They don't think Oblivion is a good game? I can see that maybe the 360 doesn't have the games Yet but the Xbox 1 has tons of games. They didn't like the 1st xbox either. Most of the games that are on the ps2 are also on the xbox and the games look better on the xbox. I bought the first xbox and only had Halo for the first year. Now with the 360 the only game I own(for now) is Oblivion. You mean to tell me that splinter cell dosen't kick more ass on the xbox than the ps2. Of course it does. I thought the japanese loved golf. Tons of womans golfers on the LPGA are Asian. How about the Tiger Woods game? They don't like that. I understand that they don't like Halo or Grand theft auto. I don't like most of their stupid games. Come on! They don't even like one game. Thats bull.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's not made by a Japanese company. ;)

And you're forgetting RPGs, which the original Xbox lacked. Sure, it had a few, but the Japanese are insane for RPG games. The X360 is getting more, but I doubt it'll match how many the PS3 will undoubtedly have.

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

He knows it's not made by a Japanese company...:confused:

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Japanese tend to buy Japanese products over evil foreign stuff ;)

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

All true, plus everyone in Japan is waiting for a PS3 or a Wii

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I think it has a lot to do with the difference between "easter" and "western" RPGs.

Japanese players prefer "eastern" style RPGs and there were hardly any on the original XBox. Things are shaping up to be a little better on the 360 but only marginally… not enough to swoon the Japanese market.

Also. Japanese players do not enjoy first person shooters, driving games and sports games as much as the american crowd. Those 3 game genre in my humble opinion formed the bulk of what the Xbox had to offer.

Maybe I'm all wrong. Any of our esteemed Japanese members willing to share their input on the subject?

:confused:

7. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Yeah, the Japanese can be very nationalistic. However, part of the problem is that the Xbox(both) does not satisfy the needs of the Japanese.

They don't play the same games Americans do. The Xbox is an American console, thus it has American style games.

Nintendo and Sony, being based in Japan and being run by Japanese people for the most part, makes it possible for them to make the games that Japanese people want.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's the exact reason I never purchased an XBox, my dislike of Microsoft aside- the games did not appeal to me. I don't enjoy first person shooters (those few I play I do so on my PC, with keyboard and mouse) very much, I don't enjoy driving games (Burnout 3 & 4 and Mario Kart being sole exceptions, because they were action oriented), and hate any sports games. I've even refused to try the Mario sports games despite tons of recommendations (like Mario Kart they're supposed to have more of an battle oriented theme). The only one I've really enjoyed was Madden 07 on the Wii (walked away from the PS3 version).

I'm EXTREMELY picky when it comes to gaming.

9. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

maybe you're japanese and you don't know it :p

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Never played a Final Fantasy game, so I can't be Japanese :) That's a prerequisite, isn't it?

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I don't really care. It means that less people buy them, so the prices go down, so I can buy my Japanese Premium Pack (for playing import games on) for £210 inc postage

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know I flip-flop on the subject, but the way I see it Japan could either buy a 360 now, or it's super-premium counterpart with the PS3.

I find it a little patronising that the west just say "some Japanese developer needs to bring a killer app to Japan" as if they need just 1 or 2. Half the library would likely need to be Japanese games to do well. I can see it from their point of view. What is there on the 360? that online FF game? pah. My brother downloaded a trailer for it and I laughed at how feeble it looked. which was backed up by terrible reviews. Look at the DS over there, there are countless J-Games that never see the light over here and look how well the DS is performing over there! You don't need a handful, you need a mountain of these games where Japanese developers hover more around the Wii (creative and cheap) and PS3 (super power, next gen vid etc).

If MS want the 360 to do so much better across the globe, they need to drop the price (make it reasonable for a machine with no HDMI, no next gen video format, paid online service, no wireless as standard). again I just sit and think that MS really rushed out the 360 way too quickly.

13. makku macrumors member

With that kind of thinking you will never be successful in Japan. It is like saying putting Coca Cola label on Pepsi will make them taste the same. Its not really about nationality.. well maybe it does have something to do with it. But its not because, like you say, Japanese does not enjoy the games because it is made by foreign company but really because foreign game companies fail to see what Japanese are interested in.
    It is just like favorite color. Your favorite color is not necessarily same as other peoples favorite color, correct? So if you paint the product in color that the Japanese prefer, would it sell? No, now there is the shape you have to consider. Even if you change the shape, it will probably not sell. There are so many fine tweaking that is required.
    Anyways you have to visit Japan sometime and see for yourself why. I am sure you will have a different opinion after you visit.

The reason the Xbox 360 is failing is closer to why the DreamCast failed :(.

14. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

I find the blatant stereotyping in this thread offensive.

15. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

So every single person in Japan only likes RPG's and they have zero interest in Golf games, Splinter Cell(like metal gear solid),baseball(they like baseball in Japan),etc. I find it hard to believe that every single person in Japan only plays Pokemon and games that let you roll into a ball and have things stick to you. Resident evil is going to the 360, along with a new spooky game made by the silent hill team. They don't like capcom games? I thought everyone loved resident evil. What about the fighting games on the xbox? I don't play them but I heard at least 1 is really good. I never let any fanboy stuff get in the way of my gaming. I own every system. I find every system has something I like. I just wait to buy systems used to save money.

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

You keep thinking in absolutes.

Please feel free to educate me if I took part in the offense.

17. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I'm being sarcastic. Gamers in Japan have to find interest in other games besides Rpgs.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

wow...

wow.

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

20. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't like where this his heading *spider sense tingling* :p

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

They do. Just nothing that appears on a Microsoft console.

You want more than rpgs as being "successful" in Japan?

How about the DS? The Brain Age series in Japan is huge; they're some of the highest selling games this year. New Super Mario Brothers has sold very well, and Animal Crossing: Wild World has also. The DS + DS Lite have outsold the Ps2 in Japan the majority of the year (except the few weeks that there weren't any on store shelves 'cause they were sold out).

Japan is huge on Nintendo portables.

As for your cons -
    -Oblivion is not a standard fare rpg. Square Enix didn't make it. There's your two reasons why it hasn't done well in Japan. People in Japan like traditional rpgs; this is why a game like Final Fantasy X-II didn't sell well (notice the hyphen, I'm not talking about XII, I'm talking about X-II, the spinoff of FFX) - it wasn't a standard fare rpg (from what I've been told). Meanwhile the last several Dragon Quest titles have sold like hotcakes because they're good games.

-You've also got to realize that Japanese gamers aren't as nice to rehash games; they don't necessarily like sequels unless they change something about the game itself. From what I understand, Japanese people got sick of Resident Evil after part 2 because they all remained unchanged for the most part afterwards, except for RE4 which (IMO) is one of the greatest games of all time. I would believe that RE4 did well in Japan but I don't know, honestly. Most games released on the Xbox are geared for Western gamers...FPS, your Splinter Cells and other Tom Clancy games, and EA's proverbial sports titles. Japanese people don't really care about John Madden or "American football"; they like baseball. You've also got to realize that Splinter Cell probably never was popular in Japan because in Japan, the only stealth action game worth playing is the Metal Gear Solid series, which is now on (ta da) Playstation consoles.

You're just uneducated in gaming over there man...that's all. With most Japanese supported consoles, there's probably about a 2-to-1 ratio of games that come out over there vs games that are released in the US. Yes, seriously. I've owned 5 import (or import friendly/modded) consoles, and right now all I own for my Dreamcast is Japanese games (primarily 2d fighting games). When I had my Saturn (and god I miss my Saturn), all I had was Japanese games for that as well (again, primarily 2d fighters). Most games that come out in Japan are never released in the US, because they wouldn't appeal to US gamers (or are perceived that way). In the Xbox/360's case, this is reversed. Xbox/360 is an American bred, American developed console; it's the exception to the rule. The other problem is - Japanese people really don't like Microsoft. (Don't ask me 'why', because...I don't know. :))

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ah yes the DS. I was going to mention this before. Currently Mario Bros DS is kicking up a huge storm over there, Japan made it nice, simple and fun. Look what happened when America developed a Mario game, ouch. I get the impression of Mario Bros DS was American developed it would be full of stats and figures, an attempted and unnecessary leveling up system just to confuse players. or at least thats the way I see it.

Japan does what it does best - great games.
    this post isn't necesarily about Japanese players tastes but more so the difference between US and Japan games. Europe games are too hard to pin down. Goldeneye, GTA, Rayman. broad spectrum usually revolving around art direction.

23. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

I'm actually quite happy that the Xbox 360 doesn't have a slew of eastern RPGs. Games can hardly get more fun than when you get attacked by enemies who you can't see (random encounters), who you then have to dispatch with attacks that you select out of a menu that take 45 minutes of CG to execute while they wait patiently for their turn to attack.

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I can understand that the this type of game doesn't appeal to you but it does to a LOT of players. Thefore, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have more of these games on any console. It's not like they're forcing you to buy a game you won't like. ;)

25. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I don't like Oblivion, Tiger Woods Golf, and most of the exclusive 360 titles either. It totally makes sense to me that the 360 is not a hit in Japan, but regardless, why is this a problem? If you are playing games you like I don't think it should matter what Japan thinks.

Isn't that kind of like saying, "I can't understand why the whole world does not think [insert your crappy favorite band here] is the best band ever?"