Japan and US to share region encoding on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DISCOMUNICATION, Dec 28, 2005.

1. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

It looks like Blu-ray will have fewer region codes than DVD and different countries will be sharing codes this time around. While I personally wish there were no region encoding, I am happy to see America and Japan will be sharing the same code this time around. I import most of my DVDs from Japan and Korea, but why is China seprate from the rest of Asia? Looks like I'm still going to need a region free player.

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree, I don't understand the necessity for the whole region encoding thing either, but this is at least better than the current situation. Good article, thanks for the link.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Presumably Aust/NZ would be in 1 or 2, not lumped in with China and Russia!

BTW, do these next-gen formats avoid the NTSC/PAL problem?

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I agree, that would be the most logical place for you guys out of those groupings. Which will be a good thing, as I always have fun burning DVDs for my friends in Oz - with Canada and Aust/NZ being the same region for Blu Ray, that will make my life just that much easier! :)

Excellent question, I don't know, but would be curious to find out as well...
    :cool:

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You region-encode your home-made DVDs? :eek:

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Um, no, it's more of a request thing, and even though I'm Canadian perhaps I'll just plead the 5th, if you catch my drift... :eek: ;)

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

How much longer do we have to frickin wait for HD DVD is what I want to know.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

In general, or specifically in regards to Apple? If it is the latter, then don't hold your breath, as Apple has sided with Blu Ray, along with Sony. :cool:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Apple has been a member of the DVD Forum supporting HD-DVD for a long time, they only recently announced they'd support Blu-ray too. People just didn't notice that they were supporting HD-DVD first and heard "Apple announces support for Blu-ray!" and assumed it was exclusive.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, thanks guys, I had no idea - all I was aware of was the Blu Ray side of things. You learn something new every day here on MacRumors! ;) :)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, this does sound nice to me! :D

*sigh* Now if only video games had region sharing between the US and Japan! :eek:

*le sigh* And if only I had time to play them!

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Nice way for Sony and the US studios to price fix Europe out of the picture :( .... oh well what with the falling popularity in Hollywood and some of the bilge they pump out i don't think it will be a problem.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

YAYAYAY cheaper anime and Japanese cult movies for me ><!

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Blu-ray will own HD-DVD. Apple will support both formats but is clearly a backer of Blu-ray.

I don't think Blu-ray will be able to get passed the the whole NTSC/PAL formatting because the video signal of each monitor/tv depends on the encoding.

16. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

We'll know for sure at CES in a week

Here's another link basically stating the same information. Remember this hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but we will know for sure next week at CES.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

As I have stated previously, I'll try and find out as much as I can at CES and take lots of pictures - I'm very interested to learn more about these emerging technologies! :cool:

18. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Ces

your actualy going? Cool! You gonna go to MacWorld too?

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I toyed with a stopover from Vegas to San Fran, but it just wouldn't work into my work schedule. :( As I said though, I'll be taking in the CES in person for sure, and am very much looking forward to it! :cool:

20. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Hd-dvd

I assume since the DVD Forum is in charge of HD-DVD the regions will remain the same. That's one more pro for Blu-Ray and one more con for HD-DVD.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good point, it would be interesting to find out what the deal is - I'll poke around at CES and see what I can uncover. ;)

22. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Pal, Ntsc, Atsc

Well the only HD "format" I'm aware of is ATSC. Europe is still undecided right? So if you want to watch an HD signal your okay. If you want to output to your standard def TV I assume the video signal will default to whatever the video standard is of the country you bought the player in. Some companies have been nice enough to make thier DVD players both NTSC and PAL compatable like Phillips. And don't forget about SECAM it's only used in France and Russia though.
    Oops, wait are there more HD formats? What are these DVB-C, DVB-T, T-DMB, DAB, ISDB-T. Oh, wait Japan uses one of them, but they use both NTSC and ATSC. These must be broadcast wave standards and not video standards right? Like UHF and VHF?

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If the video is HD, then it is universal. But if the next-gen format uses MPEG2 video, then it's still constrained by the NTSC/PAL/SECAM standards.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Good points. I believe you are correct. I was really just coming from the Standard TV input, but if it's HD it shouldn't matter, you are correct.

25. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Official word yet?

Any official word yet on the region scheme? Can't seem to find it on blu-raydisc.com. Shard how was CES?