Japan: Considering a Strike to N.K.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Josh, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Article here.

Interesting way things might unfold.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:
    so if this vote passes, what would it mean? would japan ask the US to do the dirty work?

3. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Or would the US cut in line and do it for their own means?

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Or would a large force comprised of multiple countries do it in a well planned out way, to ensure the least amount of casualties?

e

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

at this point, it'd be smarter to wait and let japan ask/beg the US to help (not that they will necessarily) and then strike, that way we get to play the good samaritan helping out our ally role. :rolleyes:

6. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

You're expecting the US to do something 'smart'?

*snickers*

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

doh!

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The Russian & Chineese are still helping N.Korea. The question is what will these two do if Japan goes in. The U.N. is it good for anything if it cant even stop the likes of Iran and N.Korea going Nuclear? whats the point of having a U.N. if nations have to take it upon themselves like Japan & U.S. to stop the proliferation of Nukes while the likes of Russia & China do nothing to stop the spread of these weapons. Maybe we should give the finger to China and say we are giving Japan Nukes to counter N.Korea. That would teach those bastards.:D

9. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Monkey see, monkey do. American has set a bad precedent (pre-emptive aggression) that all other jumpy countries will be quick to follow.

Boo-urns to the whole situation.

10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm beginning to think its all political posturing. Neither side has the resources and manpower to follow through on their threats.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

12. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I can't quite remember what happened the last time Japan made a first strike in a conflict. Can anyone remind me how that turned out? ;)

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Kind of like how "the NK's" are trying to rattle us with missle tests?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i believe some americans still harbor resentment.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Maybe they can make up for it by destroying those Missiles:)

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...or Mr Kim.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Some people will never forgive them. My grandpa's that way with the Germans, he still hates them for the holocaust. Obviously, the Nazis have been out of power for 60 years and the current German government isn't anti-semetic, and in Austria, it's illegal to deny the holocaust. The one thing he said to me when I was car shopping a couple years ago was "Don't you dare buy a German car!" (I didn't, becuase I was interested in something else which I got, but my next car will be an Audi :D) But, nonetheless, he still hates Germans, even though the only two connections they have to the Nazis are that they were born in the same area and speak the same language. I'm sure it's that way in the US with the Japanese. Obviously, there's a huge difference between 1940s Japan and 2006 Japan, but some people will never see that. The Japanese military could take out Kim Jong Il and Osama Bin Laden, and there will still be some people (most likely the older ones who lived through, and maybe fought in WWII) who will hate them, nothing's going to make them change it now.

18. Queso macrumors G4

My guess is the Chinese Government are waiting for international opposition to them walking in and taking over North Korea to diminish. Then they'll cut the fuel supplies to cripple the North Korean military and walk in as heroes a month later spreading food, fuel and luxuries to the population. As Kim Jong-Il gets closer to his goals, US and Japanese opposition to this turn of events would crumble as China effectively annexing the North becomes the lesser of two evils.

The poor old South Koreans will lose the most. If the above happens, there will never be a reunification of the peninsula.

19. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Now that we've opened pandora's box and given any and every country the political tools to start wars, it should come as no surprise that they are using them.

So what if DPRK decides that in order to keep Japan from pre-emptively striking them they have to pre-emptively strike Japan first?

Mister Smarty-Pants Rummy didn't think of that, did he?

Jackasses.

20. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Both of my grandpas were Pearl Harbor survivors (USS Widgeon, Kane'ohe NAS) and I remember that my mom told that her dad (the one on the USS Widgeon) would not buy a Japanese car no matter what. Though I believe his stance softened over the last 20 years of his life when he went to the 40th and 50th anniversaries out in Oahu and met fellow Japanese WWII veterans.

---

I wonder how the Japanese public is reacting to this seeing they just lobbied to get their troops back from Iraq because they felt that it valiated their constitution to be over there even though they were not involved in combat but rather the rebuilding of the infastructure of Iraq.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I can't say I quite understand why they still hold a grudge against the country when the government and people are completely different and now one of our best allies, plus, their cars are built here anyways.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

At this point, even half of us are giving NK and Iran the benefit of the doubt. No one wants to help us. Well, Japan. And maybe Poland. I always forget about Poland.

23. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

At this point the only ones taking the NK's seriously are the Japanese. Perhaps it's because the are the easiest target. :p

24. Queso macrumors G4

Or the only target considering that display of long range missiles last week. Even if North Korea get that long range missile working, they would have to vaguely aim it at Hawaii or Alaska and hope it hits something, all the time knowing that a Tomahawk Cruise can see right up their left nostril from six hundred miles away. There's no way they'd risk that confrontation unless the USA had already landed troops and were marching on Pyongyang.

25. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Perhaps because the last missile test (before this current barrage) overflew Japan's territory???