Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Foreign display manufacturer Japan Display Inc. (JDI) is seeking to be Apple's next go-to source for iPhone screens in the future, according to someone "familiar with the matter" (via The Wall Street Journal).

With the increase in profit overseas, especially following Apple's attempt at a bigger presence in places like China over the past few months, the source reported that JDI is hoping Apple takes much of the cost for the proposed plant's investment. As pointed out by Reuters, JDI is aiming for the plant to be operable by next year, and hopes Apple itself would pay much of the predicted 200 billion yen ($1.7 billion) cost of the project.

topimg_3-800x204.jpg
"We are reviewing various considerations to strengthen our business competitiveness, including new factories, but we haven't made any decision yet," Japan Display said in a statement Friday. Apple declined to comment.
The unnamed source continued to describe the plant's possible location, stating that Ishikawa, in central Japan, is "most likely" the site for the manufacturing plant. JDI runs a plant southeast of Tokyo, in Mobara, "which makes 50,000 of the 1.5 by 1.85 metre sheets a month for iPhone 6 screens and other uses." According to the source, the new plant would have a "greater capacity" than even JDI's Mobara facility.

JDI, formed from the troubled display portions of Sony Corp, Toshiba Corp, and Hitachi Ltd, has already seen a resurgence of profit after two consecutive quarter losses thanks to increasing demand from Apple-related devices. Now it wants a bigger contract with the Cupertino-based company - and its record-breaking profits - to boost its own earnings even higher.

Article Link: Japan Display Looks to Partner With Apple on New $1.7 Billion iPhone Display Plant

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
"Foreign"? Depends on what country we are reading the article in, doesn't it?

Yeah... does seem like a rather localized term to use. Why not just "Japanese display manufacturer"? Or, why not just cut out the word altogether?

"Display manufacturer Japan Display Inc." - I don't think anyone is going to be confused and think that it's a local company unless said person is from and in Japan, and therefore, it wouldn't be a foreign company to them.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
"Does DPI realize Apple is going to have unreasonable demands, like delivering properly QC'ed products on a schedule and at a predefined price?" -- GT Advanced Technologies

/sarcasm (do I really have to type that?)

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
50,000 of the 1.5 by 1.85 metre sheets a month for iPhone 6 screens...

wow.... is that for the iPhone++++++++++ I'd never carry that.... okay I'd try.

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
"Does DPI realize Apple is going to have unreasonable demands, like delivering properly QC'ed products on a schedule and at a predefined price?" -- GT Advanced Technologies

Didn't some of the GT people come out richer through that fiasco?
Remember Apple's promise to help the workers who lost their jobs? I wonder how that's worked out for them.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Okay, I may be missing something so I am asking for feedback here. It was my understanding that Apple used gorilla glass from corning. If JDI is already making "50,000 of the 1.5 by 1.85 metre sheets a month for iPhone 6 screens and other uses," does this completely contradict the gorilla glass expectation?

Some one please clarify this for me......

Thanks!

uberzephyr

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2003
It was my understanding that Apple used gorilla glass from corning. If JDI is already making "50,000 of the 1.5 by 1.85 metre sheets a month for iPhone 6 screens and other uses," does this completely contradict the gorilla glass expectation?

Some one please clarify this for me......

JDI makes the actual display (LCD & OLED). Gorilla Glass is the protective outer layer over these displays. They're not mutually exclusive.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

Supposedly, JDI came wearing their big-boy pants so it's cool.

I do wonder where this leaves Sharp and their IGZO screens though.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
A few other sites are reporting that the plant will initially produce LCD panels, but then switch over to OLED, with both stages for iPhone use (not sure if I should be quoting other sites here).

The iPhone has great LCD screens, but I would love a switch to OLED.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
Yeah... does seem like a rather localized term to use. Why not just "Japanese display manufacturer"? Or, why not just cut out the word altogether?

"Display manufacturer Japan Display Inc." - I don't think anyone is going to be confused and think that it's a local company unless said person is from and in Japan, and therefore, it wouldn't be a foreign company to them.

"Japanese display manufacturer Japan Display" would be redundant. Let's not get touchy, Apple is an American company and MacRumors is a website based in America, "foreign" works just fine.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
"Foreign"? Depends on what country we are reading the article in, doesn't it?

I know what you guys are saying, but the foreigners on this forum are getting ridiculous. For macrumors, it's like being a man surrounded by feminists...any stupid word that isn't gender-inclusive gets picked apart and blasted.

Really guys, it's one word. The non-US readers on here are getting annoying. It's not that big of deal, and I don't think the writers of these are articles are purposely trying to exclude their non-US readers. Same with the giveaway.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
While everyone foreign lobbies for manufacturing control over American intellectual properties, better Japan, than Foxccon in china.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.