Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier Japan Display revealed some details on its second-generation "Pixel Eyes" LCD modules over the holidays, providing us with a look at some of the ways the display industry is advancing. Japan Display's "Pixel Eyes" modules incorporate touch functionality into the display, and in the second-generation model, there are some exciting improvements.

Using a new sensor structure and new materials, Japan Display has managed to decrease the thickness of the bezel, going from 0.8mm to 0.5mm. A deeper black level is available, and the display can accept input with a stylus as narrow as 1mm for finer detail when drawing or writing.

Perhaps the most intriguing feature in the LCD module is its ability to operate with wet fingers. Many current smartphone screens are unable to work accurately under water and when fingers are wet as water is capacitive and confuses the built-in touch sensors.

iphoneinwater.jpg

iPhones, iPads, and the Apple Watch, for example, don't respond well to touch with wet fingers or when placed in water, so technology like this could be essential if Apple wants to have a functional display in a device advertised as "waterproof." Some iPhone 7 rumors have indicated the next-generation iPhone could be a waterproof device.

In a report earlier this week, The Motley Fool highlighted Japan Display's second-generation "Pixel Eyes" technology and the possibility it could be included in the iPhone 7. Volume shipments on the displays will begin during the current quarter, making them available for possible inclusion in the iPhone 7 when Apple begins ramping up production during the summer months.

While Japan Display is one of Apple's suppliers, it is not entirely clear if Japan Display screens are used in the iPhone and if the second-generation Pixel Eyes display technology will be used in future products. There have been rumors suggesting Apple and Japan Display have partnered up for a $1.7 billion display plant to produce screens for iPhones in 2016, so it's not out of the question that we'll see Japan Display screens in the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 7s.

Regardless of whether Japan Display's technology ends up in the iPhone, the advancements made by the company serve as an interesting glimpse at features that could be adopted more widely by the display industry in the future, eventually making their way into Apple's devices.

Article Link: Japan Display's Upcoming Touch Screens Feature Slimmer Bezels, Wet Finger Support

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I am really curious how they got a capacitive screen to work while wet. Living in the very damp Pacific NW, this would be a pretty huge feature for me.

Reactions: nyctravis

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Waterproof is a biggie that I'll upgrade my iPhone for. Narrow bezels not so much as I don't see much practical use. Samsung S6 edge's side edges are not really useful other than the look.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am excited about being able to use my iphone while soaking in the tub. :D:p

In seriousness, I wonder if this would create a whole class of apps for snorkeling or divers to help them identify fish or plants under water. If this rumor is true, I need to get going on developing this app so I can rake in a few dollars. :D

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Those excited about less bezel (even though this post is not talking about the case of course) I don't understand you. It's already hard enough to hold and use these devices with the minimal bezel, particularly the ultra giant Plus model. I've had to resort to putting cases on so I have that little lip to hang on to, otherwise it's just too damn likely to fall out of my hand or, alternatively have touches registered at the edges of the screen causing issues.

Regarding the working when wet thing, I'd really like to have this on Apple Watch. It would solve the only issue with using the thing in the shower. (Everybody's favorite idiot controversy as though wearing a watch in the shower is soooo baffling, lmao, people do it so get over it.) I assume it has the ability to differentiate between just water providing the skin-like capacitance vs. actual skin which should solve the problem where sprayed water activates things on screen, as well as allowing actual use beyond looking at the watch face (like hitting reply to a message and actually being able to easily reply, which is currently a big pain when water is involved.)

That's certainly an improvement that would compel me to upgrade.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Maybe it's just that Valentines day is so close, but that headline feels dirty. :D
It's just our dirty minds friend.
There is no need to makes excuses about it either. =]

I instantly had 3 or 4 jokes lined up but I'm not sure the thin skinned people around here are ready for them so I'll just refrain. No need to have any more mod encounters on here.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
kewl... slippy when wet

Would this mean everyone is now free to dunk their phones at will ? (assuming it will still operate afterwards).

This is about the display, not the TouchId scanner.

If was also the TouchID sensor as well, then that would be really good.. Who has time to dry their hands anymore...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.