Japan numbers for the gaming war, Nintendo leading all around...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/753/753864p1.html

360 sales begin to pick up now that some good japanese software is getting released, but no competition for Sony or Nintendo.

Wii and DS are stomping the competition with close to triple the unit sales of PS3 and PSP in their respective markets.

I don't recall Sony being this far behind in the company home land in their history. PS1 and PS2 were top, and somehow just this early beginning of the new systems show Nintendo set to take back the position it hasn't held since the days of SNES.

If that isn't impressive I'm not sure what is.

2. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Well, Sony shipped all their PS3's to the US, becasue that's where the real Next-gen battle will take place.
    It launched a week earlier in Japan, but only recieved half as many units.
    (although it did manage to do in one month, what it has taken xbox 360 to do in a year)

But, a cheaper console(with more availablity) shoudl obviously sell better in its home territory.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Microsoft sold more than 10 in a week :eek: wowsers :D

Yeah the figures are as I guess we all expected really. :)

4. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

While that may be true, Sony has always reaped huge profits from it's homeland and I very much doubt getting beat there is anything but bad for them.

The article also states Sony's target was 1M, and they didn't even manage half that. That can't be good for them either.

The last paragraph even notes it's not due to supply issues, as PS3s were found in stock at cheaper then MSRP prices.

On the other hand, this is nothing but good news for Nintendo. Looks like they are doing far better then even they anticipated.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unprecidented success of DS over there, I'm surprised they didnt expect the same for the wii.

6. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

In all fairness, both consoles have just launched, so no-one is "beat" yet(except maybe for the 360 - in that territory alone of course)
    The Ebay profit frenzy is over, although not many Japanese fell for it(while many Americans did - lol), and once they hit a price drop, PS3 sales will surge even more. Ninty on the other hand has to provide something to keep sales up. Not saying they won't, only that.....its easier to captivate an audience, than it is to keep them captivated.

WE all knwo how that turned out.

7. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

True, but Sony is already losing a massive amount on each PS3 made so I doubt they'd want to do a price drop any time soon.

9. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

PS3: Low supply, low demand, no profit.
    Wii: High supply, high demand, high profit.

10. darkwing macrumors 65816

Japan is the #1 place in the world where new technology is put forth and the direction of industries are changed. Do Wii fans really feel that 90s technology is going to do that for them? :rolleyes:

IIRC, the only thing that really propelled the DS were all the kids and high school girls fawning over Nintendogs. Just like what propelled the GBC and GBA were kids and pokemon games.

I guess time will tell, but I still predict the PS3 being on top when all is said and done. :)

disclaimer: ps3 owner who will buy a Wii this summer most likely

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm gald to see nintendo back in it and not "holding on"...good for them. I hope we don't ever have another Sega dropout again.

Bless

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You don't know the Japanese gaming culture, do you?
    Do you think Japanese people care about graphics over gameplay that your Ps3 offers?

Take into consideration that Japanese gamers primarily consist of DS and Gameboy players for one. Secondly, they play anything from minigame/board game titles to train simulators to hentai shooters. Dragon Quest (which has less FMV than any Final Fantasy title) is the #1 rpg in Japan.

So - let's go over this once again.
    Do you think they care about (what you claim to be) "90s technology"?
    [Which in itself is incorrect considering that the Gamecube came out in 2001 and the controller technology didn't exist until recently.]

Keep on' drinking Ed's koolaid with the "Ps3 is the fu7ur3" talk. :rolleyes:

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is true.

But remember the PSX media centre hybrid died flat on its face in Japan, the place where they usually devour all new technology. Have sony learned from this, no they are introducing PSX2.

If the Japanese consumers have nothing but apathy for an over priced playstation media centre, which was a major embarassment when it fell flat on its face at retail, why do sony bother announcing PSX2, and not just concentrate on getting some supply issues sorted.

So in fairness, do Sony have a clue what Japanese consumers want ? Sales figures could be used to prove otherwise ;)

The DS is a phenominum in Japan and has take on a whole cultural symbology of it's own, and of course that means what-ever nintendo released would benefit. The DS has proved the Japanese like the touchy / feely / share with others aproach to gaming, and the 360 has proved that graphics in Japan mean very little compared to the west. Nintendo like it or not are onto a winner in Japan.

14. darkwing macrumors 65816

Ever been to Japan? Ever hang out with Japanese people? My Japanese co-workers (in japan) lined up for ps3s and many own a 360 as well. My Japanese friends at school have been talking about the ps3 for a long time. It's what excites them.

I'll let you all know what I see over there when I get back from Japan in 2 weeks.

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

Well, I think the 360's big problem is that it isn't a Japanese product. Why buy a 360 when you can wait a year and see what Nintendo and Sony put out? Makes no sense.

If the DS was a phenomenon that turned into Wii sales, then the same can be said for the PS2->PS3. I find it so amusing that people count the PS3 out so soon when everyone knows they had supply issues. I'd like to see where it stands in a year. What pisses me off the most about being a ps3 owner is that I have to wait 2 months from when I got the system in the middle of Dec until any new games come out that are worth buying. I'm going to ignore the Sonic one.

Agreed with the comment that Nintendo holding on would be good. I'd love to see them not become another Sega.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

PS2 sold amazingly well, but that doesnt mean it automatically takes on as much cultural iconography.

The phenomenon of the DS is like Hello Kitty & AstroBoy of the games world.

PS2 was still a boy thing, entertainment device thing.
    The DS is a girl / boy / man / woman / old / young thing and that is what seperates it, made it the phenomenon it has become and gives it such cultural identity.

Do I think Sony PS3 wont do very well ?, of course not. They will sell very well but like the PS2 I dont think it will break the barrier into pop culture that the Wii has a very good chance of doing on the back of the success of the DS.

As someone who blew his first year student grant on a PS1 launch, and bought a PS2 at launch, and a PSP at Jap launch, and will be buying a PS3. I dont have any vitriol or angst against the PS3, I just look at it with a more wider global understanding and as I spent time in Hong Kong & Japan, i do have some understanding of Asian cultural ideology.

17. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I agree, IMHO - I don't think we'll see a price drop until at least next March(08), if not longer.
    Maybe some fancy bundles, but no real price drop(kind of like the PSP)

Yes......thank you for re-iterating my point.
    PS3 will be in higher supply this year, and very soon it will be in higher deman(maybe not until a price drop, but it WILL happen)
    Wii, is already very competitively priced and while a price drop may help sells some, they probably won't SURGE like when the PS3 get a worhtwhile price drop.

This is why I said Ninty needs to do something to keep the crowd captivated.
    Sure sales are high, but will they stay that way.....the GC is a perfect example of starting strong out of the gate, with mediocre performance in the long run.

I'm not saying Ninty can't/won't accomplish a victory in Japan(its most definately in reach)
    I just think the PS3 will get hotter once it gets cheaper(and Wii is already cheap)
    So what must Ninty do to keep their product "hot" as well?

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I know at least 5 people who have been to Japan (including one who's lived there for over 2 years now) in addition to the 20 or so Japanese people I've hung out with.

Your friends are the minority then because if you consider Japanese people uninterested in a product because (you claim it contains) outdated technology, then obviously the other 99% of Japan disagrees with you, considering how old the technology is in the Gameboy and DS line. What else...small developers are still releasing new Dreamcast games in Japan and that system is almost 8 years old.

Nintendo could release another 20 home consoles that finish in last place, and they'll still make money a) because their consoles turn a profit from day 1 and b) because they still have their portables to count on that always end up #1.

Nintendo doesn't need to do jack to keep anyone motivated. Other than aesthetics - have any of their portables really introduced much else? No.

Gameboy -> Gameboy Pocket: size
    Gameboy Pocket -> Gameboy Color: color screen
    Gameboy Advance -> Gameboy Advance SP: size, brighter screen
    Gameboy Advance SP -> Gameboy Micro: size
    DS -> DS Lite: brighter/slightly larger screen

Have the innards changed otherwise to reflect higher end graphics or better sound? Absolutely not.

Nintendo can rest on their laurels with the portables that they make and they'll still be the sales king.

19. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I didn't realize being most profitable was the only deciding factor in who wins a "war."
    Market share is also measuring tool, and in the Home Console market they were last.
    (last-gen)

If Ninty wants to stay there thats fine......the will certainly continue to make money
    (I never argued against that)
    But I think they want to dominate the market as well.

PS3 will be able to cut a higher percentage of their overall console price, and sales will surge.
    So what can Ninty do to keep Home Console sales up.

I love how you keep talking about gameboys, and while they will continue to sale they do not directly compete against the likes of PS3 and 360.
    (as the Wii does)

20. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Gamecube was a market share bust because it had piss poor third party support; no surprise there. Nintendo probably really didn't care about market share with the Gamecube because they knew they had already lost.

Many of Nintendo's execs (including Iwata and Reggie) have said the Wii is their plan to stay out of the "dangerous ocean with the sharks fighting for blood" (ie Sony and Microsoft), "there's enough ocean for everyone" (something along the lines of that).

Nice speculation. :rolleyes: :D
    Considering how much money they lose per console, don't hold your breath for a Ps3 price drop. Hell they haven't dropped the price of the PSP much at all and it's already had its rear handed to it five times over and they're still not dropping the price to help boost sales.

Get more third party support and strengthen that support. Simple as that. A lot of developers made Gamecube and N64 games for the first few years and then they left the 'party'. Nintendo has to keep those people around 'til last call this time around.

The topic isn't about competing against one another, it's about console sales. Which is why I'm not talking about one against the others. From a technology standpoint - the Wii isn't competing with either of the other two consoles either because it isn't as feature rich as the competition. But hey, when you've got a world-reknowned in-house development team and a lot of industry buzz...you can compete with anyone.

21. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

The success of the iPod factors into Apple's profits. You can add the PSP in too if you want. Maybe the Zune?

The thread title says "Nintendo leading all around," with no cherry picking.

22. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Microsoft have yet to make a profit in this "gaming war."
    And - Its far easier for Ninty to make the most profit(in the gaming war), and if you don't know why, I'm not going to bother.
    But profits don't win "battles" Market share does.
    (which is why Sony won the last-gen home console battle)

MS are one of the most profitable companies in the world, I guess they win the gaming war hands down eh?

23. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Do you just pull OT posts out of nowhere anytime someone says something about Sony that you disagree with? WTF :rolleyes:

Way to stay on topic there bud. :cool:
    [Note to self: ignore Coded-Dude, darkwing, and Ed H who are all drunk from the Sony koolaid]

24. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Why is everyone making it sound like the GC lost by billions? I'm pretty sure it was something like 22 million GCs sold against 24 million Xboxes sold which after 5 years or so, is a pretty small difference.

Not exactly sticking up for the GC though, it could have been so much better if there was some decent third-party support, but saying that it did have a few great exclusives and some "exclusives" which were eventually ported.

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'll just say something...

Its not hard to outsell a console that Japanese really don't like (Japan thinks of Xbox much like MacRumors users think of Microsoft ;) ) AND its not hard to outsell a console that has 4 times less units and supply shortages.

Its not surprising, even if the PS3 completely solded out, the Wii would still have won. I'm not surprised, especially considering how popular Nintend is in Japan, especially compared to Microsoft.