Japan observations

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Jan 21, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

I've been all over Osaka and Kyoto and have ridden the trains more than I care to count. I've seen 1 person using a PSP (other than me) and 0 people using a DS. Most people seem to play cell phone games while on the train. My friend who went to Hiroshima yesterday said he saw a lot of old people playing DS games. Probably those brain puzzle things. I've seen one "Wii sold out" sign in Nipponbashi. (otaku town, Osaka)

I picked up Tales of the World for my PSP and will love that to death. I've also had lots of Japanese practice while here. :) People I've talked to feel the Wii will be #1 in Japan but that Nintendo may ultimately release something to allow it to do HD sooner than later. Who knows?

The 360 is in many shops being sold as box kits with Blue Dragon and plastering the words "RPG" everywhere. I've not seen a single person checking it out.

Anime is super expensive here. I pay about 25% for American releases (bi-lingual audio) than Japanese do.

I farted on the train several times. Sucks to be everyone else.

2. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Darkwing..welcome to japan..I used to live in Osaka and kyoto but now I live closer to tokyo.... and here most of the people Ive seen play the DS - I havent seen the psp here for a long time.....

if you want any foreign games here are some links in Japan

http://www.gdex.co.jp/
    http://www.messe.gr.jp/chaos/kaigai_new/index.htm

the shops are based in akihabara and have a good selection.......

Chris

3. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I am in Osaka on business. I work for the Matsushita group. I fly home tomorrow and picked up some PSP games in Nipponbashi.

Thanks for the advice, though.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, I'm sorry for the people on the train as well....hope you didn't eat any sort of noodles.

Bless

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've spotted, on my 5 years of public transport usage-
    1 DS fat (the guy was really going for it too, had huge headphones on and kept blowing onto the thing... warioware?)
    1 PSP
    4 DS Lites
    1 GBA (London - train)
    countless GBA SP's
    too many iPods. one girl had a blue Mini like mine :)

6. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I have seen a few ipods but I kid you not it seems to be cell phones. About 40% of people on the train have cell phones and are totally lost in them. Either sending email or playing games. Their phones all have neat little wheels on them too. For scrolling I think.

7. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

ok so this isn't about Japan but I felt it was sort of relevant...

I ride the trains in D.C. everyday and I've seen only a small handful of DS Lites and PSPs. Handheld video games are either not an interest to any common work folk or else they are too shy to play it in public. I vote for the later because a HUGE amount of people do play games on their cell phones (mostly blackberryish phone things). I feel so sorry for these people too... the controls look sooo difficult. Tiny side scroll wheels and miniature buttons. I've come close to talking to a couple people about getting a handheld but then I quickly remember the ridiculous unspoken rule of not being allowed to talk on a train during rush hour...

8. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i got one of those stupid DS consoles for x-mas, with that stupid brain game that tells me my brain is 80 something years old. i dont need nintendo telling me im an old fart.

how will people play games on their new iphone if it has no buttons? i wanna put tetris on mine if it's feasible.

9. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

sorry but off topic... what's the main genre of music in japan???

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

OMG. You luck *!$*!! !@#!@:D

I wish I could go to Japan. *cries* ;)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never seen a person playing a game on a phone since Secondary School. Nokia 3210 with Snake. Used to know a guy who would spend loads of money on his phone, downloading real music ringtones (mp3/bluetooth :confused: ) and games. But never played the games. Sort of used them to show off... Guy had some kind of mental problem though.
    Only ever seen people using phones for talking or listening to music.
    /This is Manchester/Saddleworth btw.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

my friend was playing Madden on his phone i found it to be kind of dumb....he has a psp and cell phones suck for gaming

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've played Snake on my n70 for about a minute. Cell phones are blah for gaming.

<]=)

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It used to be Sony Walkmans and similar portable cassette players before we had mobile phones. All but the aged wore ear buds; anything to get more alone time in a very crowded world.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

jimmi/others: Cell phones are huge in Japan though, far ahead of anything anywhere else in the world. They also have wireless networks a generation ahead of the rest of the world as well.

You can use your phone like a debit card over there... it's pretty crazy.

16. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

WOW :eek: "cell phones in japan... serious business":D

17. pcypert macrumors 6502

I see predominately cell phone gamers on the sky train here in Bangkok. Most of those are those Nokia NGage thingies. Next biggest is PSP. Thailand must not know or they're behind the times ;) ...but they love them over here. I've seen maybe two DS/lite here and those were being played by foreigners. I hate the PSP, but it's a lot more in fashion here than the DS.

Paul

18. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I busted out laughing at work when I read your randomly farted.

Anyways, I do think that people in Japan are more open to playing video games in public than here in the US. I'm going through that transition from college to the real world and I carry my DS with me to most places, but only pull it out if I'm waiting for a meeting in my car or if I'm in a non business area. If I'm waiting in someone's office and they're being awhile I'll pull out the cell and play a few games there.