Japan offloads stockpiled whalemeat for dogfood.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Jun 17, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

"However, stockpiles of frozen whale meat are so large that local governments have reintroduced whale dishes on school menus and in hospitals. Some has even been offered to dog meat companies."

"Japanese inshore fishermen also kill thousands of dolphins and porpoises — including an estimated 10,000 Dalls dolphins alone — each year."

link

It's a very sad state of affairs.

2. mpw Guest

What's wrong with stockpiling whale meat?

Even Greenpeace have posters encouraging us to 'save the whale'.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It is sad that the fishermen have killed other creatures while the creatures were probably just looking for lunch and not interested in what they were fishing.

As far as whalemeat on the lunch menu, that doesn't sound all that appealing, past the initial experience.

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

5. makku macrumors member

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's not okay to eat cows either (at least to me).

7. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Are you asking anyone in particular, or were you just musing aloud?

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think its bad, because whale hunt is outlawed in most parts of the world because we almost killed whales off totally.

9. makku macrumors member

Then I think you have a valid argument. I dislike how animals have to be killed for food.

No I just wanted to know what people thought. I do not understand why people are against whale meat and not beef. Is it because whales are not domesticated animals?

10. mpw Guest

Because the modern cow has no place in nature other than a source of food whereas the whale is part of the eco-system?

There that should start a flame war that'll be just right for a nice char-grilled steak! Yum.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Do you also dislike that other animals eat other animals as a means to survive?

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Whale meat is very good. Here in Japan it is very expensive.

The article quoted, is a very emotionally written article so I suspect the accuracy of their details.

You might find this web site interesting:

http://www.whaling.jp/english/intro.html

Not agreeing or disagreeing here, just trying to provide a bit of balance.

13. makku macrumors member

So is it okay to kill unemployed people?
    I do not get your argument. Whales are not hunted to extinction.

14. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Oh I see, well my personal opinion is that we as human beings *in general* do not have the right to kill animals. But of course there are many nuances that are too complex to delve into in a thread about the horror of the Japanese whalemeat industry.

They are. Not every whale species on Earth of course, just the ones that are being hunted to extinction.

Are you saying that unemployed people are bred for food? I do not get your argument.

15. makku macrumors member

No I do understand how this world runs. I am not vegetarian. I am very thankful for all the food I consume.
    Anyways, had a Japanese friend whos car window was broken with something written about against eating whale in Australia.

16. mpw Guest

The tasty ones with huge udders? Sure.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I thought the same as you.

However, it appears that there are about 80 species of whales.

Some such as Humpback and Blue whales have been hunted close to extinction.

However, Minke whales seem to be alive in very large numbers.

http://www.whaling.jp/english/qa.html

I think this issue is not as clear as some would like to believe.

On a side note, I've always loved to watch Killer whales and have had some great opportunities to see them very close up in the wild. However, it wasn't until recently, that I found out that the Killer whale is actually a member of the dolphin family. Weird, but true.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Plants have to be killed, too, to serve as food. Unless you retrieve nutrients directly from the air or sunlight, I think you have to participate in murder of some sort.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Cows are easily bred whereas whales are not. Pollution, sonar, shipping and global warming are all taking their toll on the whale population.

I've never understood the Japanese and Icelandic position on whale hunting. Few people actually eat the meat and the cost of hunting it is quite large so what's the point?

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not sure how many Japanese eat whale meat.

Most major grocery stores do carry it. And it is available at many seafood type restaurants.

Personally, I like whale. But do not eat much. It is very rich and tasty. Although it tastes different, it reminds me of lobster in that regard.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Save the Whales...

we'll need them later when we run out of oil, so we can run our machinery off their blubber, eat them when all of our farmland goes to hell, and ride them, since many of us will find ourselves underwater.

We may be able to substitute the ever-growing amount of really fat humans, however...

22. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

This issue is raised a lot in Australia seeing as the whaling occurs in our water. Recently there was a meeting, so I have got some articles of interest.

The first is that whaling is inhumane, that they have a painful death:

nternational Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting result:

Sadly it is believed strongly that whaling want stop and if I remember hearing correctly, Japan would be willing to continue whaling illegally if they had to.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It doesn't make any sense unless there are really rich people in Japan who are manipulating the ministers. I know that the fishermen have a strong coalition but killing off everyone's future shouldn't even make sense to them.

24. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Another perspective.

[​IMG]

There is more info at Green Peace Australia

I leave this issue with a video, demonstrating the harpooning of a whale, and a green peace action, which I don't necessarily agree with, but it documents the tensions of this issue with the Japanese ships starting to attack the green peace boats.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7034133468415009977&q=whaling+japan

25. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

It's a sad crazy world we live in when the sanctity of such a magnifcent beast is seriously referred to as "tasty".