Japan ready to market "Robot Suit"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by teabgs, Aug 23, 2003.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

"Japanese companies are preparing for the commercial launch of a "robot suit" that helps aged or physically disabled people walk, get up the stairs or seat themselves to relax without a chair. "

Full story

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

that is rather amazing, not just the idea because the ideas like that are common, but the fact that they are going to market it so soon is incredible. I'd like to see some actual disabled people try it out though to see how well it will actually work.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is an amazing invention. It will be a great leap toward independence for the disabled. The major problem is the price of $8,440. Like anything else though with mass production the price will decrease. It looks similar to the research done by a scientist in Dayton, Ohio!

4. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

An electric wheelchair easily costs $10,000. I know this because my sister has one.

It's not that expensive ;)

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Perhaps some sort of medical insurance could help to offset some of that cost, too.

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I'm sure it'll be great for the elderly and disabled -- by it'll be a great benefit for the lazy-but-rich crowd as well! ;)

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd rather just have a robot servant so I'd have to do even less. Or perhaps a monkey butler! (like on the Sims for xbox)

8. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Perhaps you will.

"Asimo, a 1.2-meter (4-foot) tall robot designed by Honda, brings flowers to the bust of Czech author and playwrighter Karel Capek in the hall of the National Museum in Prague, Friday, Aug. 22, 2003. Asimo was brought to Prague by visiting Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to pay tribute to Capek, who invented the word 'robot' in his 1921 play 'R.U.R.'"

Now, is this science fiction turned non-fiction, or what? Amazing...such a bizzare set of circumstances. ...and, I'm half Czech. :)

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It looks like it has a jet rocket pack on his back! Perhaps I can program mine to take over the world by flying over my enemies and shooting laser beams from its eyes...mwahaha!

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Takes a lot of "D" batteries to keep that little guy goin'...you know he can walk up and down stairs, don't ya? Wild...

Flying over your enemies, eh? Make sure it's not running Windoze...a virus on a PC is ONE thing...a virus in something like you described is another!:eek:

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

12. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

I think Apple and Honda already have that in mind...

13. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

There...that's better.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Is it just me, or does it look like he is ready to grope something...

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

"Hey, it's not my fault, i just help up my arm, you walked into it." :D :D :D

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'd love to see this happen.

It would be great invention indeed.

:)

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

leave it to the japanese...first the blow-up partner, then this.

No, but this looks cool.

If they have luck with this and things go well, then their real future will be in selling these in the Canada, Scandinavian countries, etc., where health care is fully govt. subsidized.

Also, there is a huge market in the United States if they can prove to Medicare that this should be subsidized.

And 8500 bucks is a lot more cost-effective than a lot of other treatments, esp. since it is a one-time affair (plus maintenance). If you look at the U.S.'s rapidly growing elderly population, this is the market for this device.

Of course, if we want these machines to get better and better, this first model must succeed, which means that the inventors need to market well, not only to consumers and medical professionals, but to govt. agencies that subsidize health care.

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

soon we might even have robotic prostetic legs that can help paralyzed or amputees walk. :)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This invention from Japan trully sounds like an answer to their prayers. Wonder whatever happened with the experiments at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio?

20. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

hey, does that mean I get my Gundam Suit anytime soon..? SWEET!!!

vSpacken

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The prototype is a bit big and heavy, also a bit unwieldy. Look at the motors at the joints in the picture.....

"We have also started developing a version for arms," Sankai said. "Eventually, we aim to make a suit that is thin enough to be worn like underwear and will allow users to run and move their arms freely."

To make it like underwear they'd need to use a whole different technology, most likely nanotech in order to get the required power to the joints - that or a synthetic muscle system that works a bit like the human body, only on the outside.

Cool stuff though.

D