Japan to begin mobile satellite broadcasting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by King Cobra, Oct 8, 2004.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool - but I'd love to see pics.....

Too bad its in Japan, though. Wonder when we'll see this sort of thing in the US?

D

3. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

It's Japan, where all the technology is at, like it or not. You want your hands on it, then you should move over there. Otherwise, it's probably going to take at least until late 2005 until the United States get going on a similar service. I expect that 2006 will be the year of satellite communication, both with the Howard Stern announcement, and with the increase in dependence on satellite services. Remember when blue laser DVDs were announced around the beginning of the year? Well, they just came out a month or so ago, but the recorders are $3500. So before optical media is ruled out, blue DVD prices will come down, but slowly, because Japan's technology is 6 to 12 months in front of us. In other words, Japan is already living in mid 2005, and we're stuck in late 2004.

4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Doesn't Sirius (satelite) radio already have a "boom box" unit?

5. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Here you go:

Toshiba

Sharp

Not exactly great designs are they. I think it will eventually become successful though. I think this technology will be incorporated in future mobile phones in Japan, seeing as they already sell phones with regular TV tuners in them.
    Wouldn't it be great if future powerbooks had this technology built in. I wonder if you could use this service anywhere in the world once it's become common? Or would it have to be in the country you signed your contract in? Like an English person visiting a foreign country but can still watch BBC on their device.

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I don't know... I was watching HDTV in Japan 7 years ago!
    U.S is really behind... cell phones come to mind as well...

I think more appropriate, Japan is living in 2007+ and we're stuck in 2004... though I could be wrong....

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that toshiba design is actually rather attractive. now about the sharp one... :rolleyes: