Japan Wins WBC!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by asxtb, Mar 20, 2006.

1. asxtb macrumors 6502

Japan wins the World Baseball Classic beating Cuba 10-6!
    Go Japan!!!!
    The amazing thing is that of the two teams there were only 2 major league players! Maybe this goes to show that MLB players are overpaid. :rolleyes:

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Congrats to them. Wish I could have watched this game. I suspect there'll be quite a bit of baseball-themed anime coming soon. ;)
    Not really. It goes to show that:
    • anything can (and usually does) happen in baseball
    • a timely single can be just as effective as a home run
    • more American players should play (which would be possible if the tourney was moved to right after the MLB season rather than before. MLB players would be in better shape then anyway.)

Overall, I'd say it's a success. If not in the US (where we don't care about any baseball that isn't Little League, college, or MLB (and related minor leagues)) then in other baseball-crazed countries (Cuba, Japan, Dominican Republic, etc.)

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Glad they won.

Overall I think the WBC went well. Yes America was knocked out early which probably dropped ratings but most of the games I watched had a large size crowd. I actually liked it before. Granted not all players will want to play because of risk of injuries but baseball is about spring/summer (although about 60% of all the players in the WBC were from a MLB team). If it was held in November, it just wouldnt feel right.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hell yeah!

Things are crazy over here in Japan, everyone is celebrating.
    During school everyone, including teachers, dropped class and we went straight to the TV to watch. (It was double block and we had a substitute)
    Overall, an exciting game, and great fun!

:D :cool: :p

irmongoose

6. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

Wish, I could have been Tokyo at the time. And why school? It was a holiday! Well, now I'm ready for the regular season! Go Lions and Matsuzaka (WBC MVP!!)!

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well I go to an international school so we go by American holidays and the Japanese public holidays don't really count.

Matsuzaka was awesome!

irmongoose

8. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

?????
    Wakatta!

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This whole thing is just a stupid scouting camp for MLB, really. The Americans have the money, after all.

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Well, it's more than a camp to the countries that got to the end. Cuba and Japan have a lot to be proud of - as well as Mexico. The US needs to change the name of their championship series. It's obvious that it's not the World Series anymore :cool:

12. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

True. Bobby Valentine and his Lotte Marines (Japan's Champions) even challenged the MLB and the White Sox to a series for more of a World Series.

I think the WBC really made people realize how strong some countries baseball programs are, especially Japan, Korea, and Cuba.

13. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

I do partially agree that it is a scouting camp for the MLB. However, if it is a scouting camp, then why did so many MLB players play? They have already been scouted and recruited.

The people that benefit the most from the scouting, IMO, are the Asian teams and Cuba. MLB rarely looks to Asia for players. The players here really have to get their foot in the door for them to be noticed by the MLB.

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Good, well that settles it.
    Glad we can finally put that whole "who is the best at baseball" issue behind us.

Congratulations Japan.

15. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

In think the WBC was a huge success, now hopefully more MLBers will join the US squad so we can have a chance at winning it. The competitiveness of this event and the rivalries will keep people coming back every year.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have to say that I'm surprised people care. I'm a huge baseball fan but I only caught a US game or two just to see Chase Utley. I'm was much more excited about preseason Phillies games then the WBC.

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Spring Training is a bore unless you are at the games, then it is a lot of fun. The players don't play to full potential and the standings are never the same between ST and the real season. The WBC actually meant national recognition. That is just how I see it.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

HAH! Only until the next one in '09.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Don't be silly. The MLB players are in spring training shape.

And much more to the point, this elimination format is ridiculous in baseball. This isn't football, where a great team can go 15-1, or 14-2. Even the *best* teams in baseball lose 50-odd games, and in some seasons no one loses less than 60.

It was an entertaining show, but to pretend that it proves anything is just silly. To really determine the best baseball team you need a much longer time span and a lot more games than this tournament had.

20. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think the being in spring training shape had anything to do with it. Japan is also in spring training shape while Cuba is in th middle of their season.

I do agree about the elimination format though. I just doesn't seem right when Korea goes 6-0 beating Japan 2 times. Then on the third time, Japan wins and Japan moves on to the finals. I'm glad Japan won it rather than Korea, but it could easily have been the other way around. I guess it's just that teams go into the tournament knowing what to expect.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Denial is the first step...
    Next up, Anger....

22. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I strongly dislike baseball, but watching the WBC was enjoyable. Congratulations to Japan. I was rooting for Cuba though, they have an amazing international record. I knew they were good, but I had no idea how good until
    I read an article on espn.com.

After this, they should stop calling the MLB championship the World Series, because the MLB players are clearly not the best in the world.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The World Series is named after the first sponsor (a newspaper), not being representative of the entire world (even though there are more countries represented by players in the MLB than in the WBC). And the team that wins the World Series is generally the best in the world at the time. I would love to see the WBC right after the classic, when MLB pitchers are accustomed to pitching like hell every 4-5 days, and the sluggers have their swing as close to perfection as it will ever get. Having the WBC now while they're all getting back in shape just puts them at a disadvantage.

24. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

TENNOUHEIKA BANZAI!!!
    NIPPONN BANNZAI!!!!!!!

Now all I need is my imperial japanese flag....

25. SpAtZ macrumors regular

Well not exactly. It's kinda replacing the baseball in the Olympics since it has been voted out for the next few summer games. I recall the commisioner of the tournament saying that on an interview I saw. But im sure it is used scouting too.

The whole olympic thing is total bull. They get rid of baseball and when they could of gotten rid of something like table tennis.