Japanese App Tweets Embarrassing Things If You Oversleep

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OKITE is a Japanese alarm clock app. It's designed to help users wake up, but with a twist: it sends embarrassing messages to the user's Twitter account every time they hit snooze.

Tofugu, a blog covering Japanese culture, points out that this type of public shaming is uniquely punishing in Japan:
    The app sends out a wide variety of Tweets, some silly and some downright odd.

"From today on I'm going to head to work via unicycle."

"I want to buy a fast red Ferrari and a horse!"

"Just as I thought, I want to become a stewardess."

OKITE is available free on the App Store, but only in Japanese. It isn't localized into English. [iTunes]

Article Link: Japanese App Tweets Embarrassing Things If You Oversleep

2. macrumors member

Seeing that I am likely to tweet this anyway, I find this app utterly useless. :p

3. macrumors 6502

bb426

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I could see this work better if you could make your own embarrassing tweets. These arent even that funny or embarrassing.

4. macrumors 6502

This would just cause people to stop following you...if you were actually interesting enough to follow in the first place.

5. macrumors 6502a

Omg how embarrassing

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There will be 87 English language ripoffs in the App Store by Tuesday.

7. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Ok, that must be one of the cultural differences I didn't yet got usd to ... These comittment for self-embarrassment is also present in several daily TV shows ...

A much cuter example of apps working mostly in local culture context is "SmartTub". That simulate a Japanese bathtube with the cover you put on top because of water is shared with other family members. But only on iPad2 with smart over

8. macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I know I read somewhere that an alarm app had a thing where it sent a small donation on your behalf every time you hit snooze.

Would be awesome if you could pick your charity but the app sent all the money to one I did not know anyting about.

9. macrumors 6502a

Great. We all know what Japanese people do when they're shamed...:(

(JUST KIDDING)

10. macrumors regular

Just as I thought, I want to buy this app.

11. macrumors 6502

Bonch

Sad that so many people care that much about what other people think.

12. macrumors 6502

That kind of statement would be unheard of in Japanese culture, because not caring about what other people think is pretty unheard of. ;) The entire language is structured around being polite, as is Japanese culture in general. You can't really get by in Japanese society without caring about other people to some degree. I think it's a good thing.

13. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

In a way, it's sad how people in the USA don't give a **** what others think.

I've heard that some Japanese CEOs who drive their companies into bankruptcy commit suicide due to the shame. Anyone know if that's true? I know this sounds horrible, but in some ways, that sounds a bit better than those American CEOs who get the golden parachutes worth millions of dollars. I'm sure there are some that worked their a**es off to prevent their companies from being even worse, but, IMO, they weren't good enough to deserve millions.

14. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I know at least they do it figuratively. I'm sure many people will not fully understand the point/impact this app is attempting to give. Especially since the force of some sayings are lost in translation. English has common saying that have cultural heritage attatched to them and because of that, they too make no sense when translated.

15. macrumors 6502

Not every Japanese CEO will (obviously), but suicide is considered a way to save face in such a shameful situation, so it happens.

16. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I don't see that as embarrassing, silly, or odd...

Then again, I live in Portland.

17. macrumors newbie

I actually do ride a unicycle to work!

18. macrumors 6502a

I wish i could be as creative as the japanese, I really wish to visit japan some time. Scratch that, I need to visit the world.

19. macrumors regular

I love it.

20. macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I think going to work via unicycle would be kind of cool. o.o;

21. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Very clever, I like it!

22. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Embarrassed for you

( T_T)\(^-^ )

23. YeahBuddy, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

macrumors regular

*Snooze* "I spent .99 cents on an app that posts strange phrases on my twitter account."

What will my neighbors think? :(

24. fdv
    macrumors newbie

This sounds like a much better idea.

25. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Even better...

Every time you push the snooze button it sends a message to the boss telling him/her that you are going to be X minutes late.