Japanese boffins spawn almost invisible man

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jun 13, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is AMAZING! So when are they hitting the shops?? :D

3. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Well, I think it has some way to go before it compares to the Harry Potter version:

[​IMG]

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its funny with technology news, because they reported this years ago. Either that, or its deja vu. Camera use was always going to be how they were going to do it, and someone already did it, but maybe not with a "cloak".

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I remember the cloak thing a couple of posts above been posted here in either 2003 or 2002 so its obviously been around for some time.

These movies are the first I've seen of it in motion and on fabric though.

That said, in R.E.M.'s 1991 video for 'Radio Song' and Wet Wet Wets 'Love Is All Around' video from 1994, a similar effect is achieved but not on fabric, although I was never quite sure whether it was just clever post work, or an early development of this material. Thoughts??

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

not really, he is still an object so of course he would still cast a shadow.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

of course i realize _why_ he casts a shadow. i just found it interesting to watch.

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

now imagine the fun you could have.... ;)

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

mmmm... free pizza...

11. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Also, watch the video monitor behind the dude and pay attention to what happens to the video when he passes in front of it...the video becomes choppy. That would lead me to believe that the camera uses a very slow FPS rate, I wonder what this would look like in real life. Anything moving behind the wearer would appear to be moving choppy.

12. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Figures that the freak'en government would like to exploit this...Bastards. :rolleyes:

13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

The military applications would be limited. How survivable is it? How rugged?
    If fielded I can only see Special Operations units utilizing it in urban terrain.
    Camoflouge is already an art in the military. Has been for quite some time. It's amazing how hard it is to spot someone who knows how to blend into the terrain.
    If I were a sniper I'd take the ghillie suit any day.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think the military uses would be huge once the tech matures. Obviously it's not going to see action anytime soon. Think beyond the individual solider. Imagine that tech on an F-117. Can't see it on radar. Can't physically see it. Or how about hiding buildings, HQ's, and other fixed positions (tents/coverings for front line troops)? I think it will get used on fixed positions and vehicles well before it filters down to the single solider level.

Lethal

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually i would rather thin kabout thigns like trucks,tanks,mobile artillery etc. things you have too move all the time and are big and clunky.... for airplanes it is rather useless because there is already radar,infrared optics are rather unimportant (yes even the F-117 can be 'seen' with radar...the austrian radar system 'goldhaube' detected 2 f-117 a few years ago during an illegal crossing of tyrol in the radar-shadow of a cargo plane)
    for ground vehicles optics(night vision etc.) are most important infrared is important but can be tricked and in a hot summer you are having problems

and of course you can hide induvidual soldiers rather good... but as soon as you have to hide big logistical equipment which is moved all the time..you're in trouble (after having to cloak/uncloak multiple bulky trucks too often - i can say it's a pain in the a..)

16. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Um... its only invisible to the visible spectrum.

A cheap pair of infrared goggles and you can see the heat generated by all of that electronics.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

The energy requirements are too great for the benefits this gives. I don't think it will be used for military application. For espionage, maybe.
    Also, snipers (military personnel) are usually leary of new technology, especially new technology that has to be constantly fed energy.

Ghillie suit and excellent fieldcraft are all you need.

18. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Yes, but once you force someone to look into another spectrum, it becomes harder to see in the visible spectrum.

P-Worm

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So? With or with out a cheap pair of infrafed goggles and you can see someone not wearing the "cloak."

Lethal

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Maybe. But I sure think that covert military forces could be readily equipped with IR goggles. They are already equipped with NV goggles.

Again, the energy requirements of such a feat is large. The energy source would be pretty large, pretty noisy, pretty smelly, or all 3. Or maybe you will have a visible extension cord coming from a wall outlet that just happens to magically disappear into thin air. :p

21. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

cloaked loving

hey, i guess the pokemon craze is alive and well- 2 years ago - which i thought was over its time! this is really incredible stuff! instead of thinking of the military concepts - how about blind dating, akin to the "lights out dating" that is stirring a small craze. imagine meeting your potential cloaked date during the afternoon in a well lit restaurant? i wonder what she's got hidden under the hood. grrooowwwlll...

22. punkmac macrumors regular

cloak

Uh, can you say Ghost in the Shell?

Next level Therm-Optic Camo!

Only in Japan!

I.

23. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

If the Japanese want to do research that can be used for military purposes, I think they are wasting their time with thermo-optic camoflage or cloaking shields.

What the Japanese should be doing is more research on Giant Robo transforming vehicles. :D :D :D

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

VERY perceptive...I'm impressed. I never would have noticed that.

25. punkmac macrumors regular

slow video

But this may be because of the "video of the video" effect.

Like when you see computer monitors on the news and it has a strobe effect.

I.