Japanese symbol meaning?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MentalFabric, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Hey guys, a friend of mine has a tattoo of a symbol which in chinese means injustice. He recently visited Japan and aparently it means something in japanese but no-one would tell him what, so I was wondering if anyone here could help us out with this one?

Attached Files:

2. mpw Guest

I don't know Japanese but it kinda looks like a skinny guy with a pony-tail and one big foot about to take a shower.

Hope that helps

3. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

ahh, it's all clear to me now! ;) maybe not. but it provided a laugh :D

4. jim. macrumors 6502

I took it to a Japanese post-doc in the lab. He says it looks like an old symbol that they don't really use anymore. He said it kind of looks similar to "permit" or "allow" or something along those lines.

Sorry, can't be more helpful, he's about the only Japanese source I have up here. On the plus side, the Chinese post-doc recognized it immediately and said that it does indeed mean "injustice." So your friend shouldn't be the laughing stock of China.

Jim

5. brap macrumors 68000

It always makes me laugh when people get symbols, or words tattoo'ed in other languages they don't understand. Quite obvious reasons... yet people still do it.

6. beg_ne macrumors 6502

According to my Dictionary it's this kanji

?? - ?? (en) Which means False Charge or Hatred

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If beg_ne's reading of it is right, there's a graphical picture of it here:

http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/S=48/fg=r/inline/dokanji?index=t&ivalue=514d

EDIT: I guess I can try to inline it

[​IMG]

This kanji wasn't even in Halpern's dictionary...wowsers. :eek:

But I'm assuming it has a slang meaning? Because that meaning (false charge, or hatred) is based on the Chinese reading, and so it isn't anything peculiar to Japan....Either that, or some people are having fun with your friend! :D

8. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

thanks for checking that out for us :)

9. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Yeah, I guess it must be something colloquial… Out of curiosity, how exactly does one look up a japanese word-symbol, japanese to english?

10. iGary Guest

iGary

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    In japan they can get really peculiar about words. They have a published list of banned words. The word for disabled person was considered a slur and then banned. There was a support group that had problems with awareness drives because the newspapers refused to print what they were trying to raise awareness of.

I am reminded of an episode of Committed. Where the guy had a tattoo that he thought meant fiery strength and actually meant that he played a submissive role in homosexual relations.

12. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

i find that offensive

13. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I figured it was meant as a negative towards being gay... My friend was told to cover it up as it would be offensive. Anyhoo, apologies :)

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, hmmm..it's hard to explain if you don't know at least a little of the language.

This is the dictionary I use -- it can find whole words (not just characters), based on phonetic spelling of the Japanese word in Roman characters.

http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/...i=on&&sEnv=on&&sBud=on&&IK=1&&LI=1&&L=E&&H=PA

It also has a kanji (character) lookup:

http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/S=48/inline/kanji.html?SASE=/cgi-bin/j-e/S=48/inline/dict

You can look up kanji by pronunciation, but if you don't know how to pronounce it, then you have to use one of the other methods. Stroke count means the number of pen or brush strokes needed to make the character. It can be a little difficult if you're not well-versed in the art of writing, because sometimes things that are two strokes seem like one to me, or vice versa. And if you get the count wrong, then you won't see the right kanji.

The Halpern SKIP code is more common, I think. Basically, it's a three digit number, where the first number is the form of the kanji (top-bottom, left-right, inside-outside, or whole; the one in your friend's tattoo is a top-bottom -- the part that looks like /-/ is the top and the rest is the bottom), and the second two numbers are the strokes in the first part (top, two in this case) and bottom (eight...which I got wrong the first time).

My paper dictionary uses this system too, but it's sometimes better, because you can easily scan to adjacent codes if you don't find what you're looking for (2-2-8 and 2-2-9 are right next to each other, for instance).

There are also other methods based on common features, called radicals. The radicals are sort of the smallest part of a character that has meaning by itself. I think in this case, the top is a radical.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You know, once Tiger comes out, there will be a translator widget and you won't need to use the internet dictionaries anymore!

Or use the reverse method. If you want to find the Chinese spelling of the english word "injustice", type "injustice" into the dictionary and see what comes out. Same can be done for Japanese.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the issue is mostly when you have the kanji, but you don't know exactly what it means or how to pronounce it.

17. craigdawg macrumors 6502

THANK YOU mrkrishnan! I lost this link when I bought a new computer and I've been looking for this site for a couple of years!

Peanut butter = piinatsubataa

:)

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Some day, I think the new Esperanto should be Japlish. :D Somebody set up us the BOMB! :eek: ;) :D