Japanese Translators

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by An naoscaire, Jan 13, 2005.

1. An naoscaire macrumors newbie

May 26, 2004
    Dublin, Éire
    Hi all.

I'm planning on learning a bit of Japanese and I was wondering if any of you out there know of any good language learning programmes. I was floating around on the apple site and came accross these two:

Talk Now Japanese

and World Talk Japanese

I haven't been able to find any demos, screen shots or reviews of these items so I'd like to know if anyone has tried these. If so, what did you think of them and do they teach you through the Latin alphabet or Japanese alphabets? I've heard from some people that if you are learning Japanese, it's best to do it through their character sets rather than your native alphabet because as you progress it becomes more advantageous to have learned through their characters (if you decide to visit, reading signs etc.). Dunno if this is always so, if not, correct me.

Can anyone recommend any others?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, go gentle on me, I'm new around here!
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Open Sherlock
    Type the word
    Press Translate

(There is more to it, but that's the basic rundown)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Welcome to MacRumors!

I don't think you'll find a friendlier place for Mac users on the web.

I don't know either of the applications. Most of their kind aren't great but there aren't any great alternatives either. Classes cost too much, if you can find them. Audio CD courses work too, but they're not as good because you can't really go backwards easily and the lessons aren't interactive.

As far as characters go, you should concentrate on learning it with Roman characters and work toward learning Japanese kana characters later.

If you have more questions, just ask. :)
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think it's definitely best to learn Hiragana and Katakana right away instead of using Romaji (Roman characters). I think it gives you a better sense of the way the language fits together, and will make the transition to reading/writing and learning kanji easier. Sorry, I can't recommend any specific programs for learning the language. I learned it mostly by living there, which I highly recommend if you ever get the chance.