Japanese Xbox360 launch.. selling _less_ than the first ... huh ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Dec 13, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    the link:

the numbers:
    Famitsu: 62.135
    Media Create: 41.817
    (out of 159.000 shipped units)

the others:

27.11.98 Dreamcast (Yen 29.800): 101.490
    - 04.03.99 WonderSwan (Yen 4.800): 102.655
    - 04.03.00 PlayStation2 (Yen 39.800): 630.552
    - 21.03.01 Game Boy Advance (Yen 15.000): 611.504
    - 14.09.01 Gamecube (Yen 25.000): 133.719
    - 22.02.02 Xbox (Yen 34.800): 123.929
    - 02.12.04 Nintendo DS (Yen 15.000): 441.485
    - 12.12.04 PSP (Yen 20.790 / 26.040): 166.074
    - 13.09.05 Game Boy Micro (Yen 12.000): 148.117

well even _i_ was expecting the 360 doing a lot better...after all the controller and the hardware is designed a lot better and it is even 50$ cheaper for the premium package...
    looks like everything what Microsoft did to bring in more japanese gamers went somehow wrong ... looks like its finally down the games... the average amount of games sold with each 360 is 0.91 (according to spong.com)
    seriously... i find the xbox360 a console to own (compared to the old one) and didn't expect that

that aside it shows how much worth the big gaming sites are who were writing "successfull launch" news after half an hour

edit: i don't want to turn this into a "console AA r0xx0rs" thread so please leave it out... i want to know ..perhaps from our japanese members.. what they did wrong with their marketing.. besides the lack of games
  2. bitfactory macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Yeah - it's doing horribly over there so far.

Wish they'd send some of those units over to the States - now we've got idiots buying them for $1000+ on ebay when they just sit on the shelves in Japan.

MS thinks they can buy their way into Japan, but they're going to have to earn it. Also, if they have any problems over there at all (overheating, scratched discs, etc...) they are sunk. That culture is much less forgiving about poor design and support.

We'll see.
  3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I think it's just because they aren't Japanese after all. They could do everything they wanted, but as long as they're not Japanese, the Japanese would still buy their own products.
  4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Americans buy gaming systems for the hardware.

Japanese buy it for the software.

It's about the games, games, games...
  5. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'm half welsh! but gaming wise I'm fully japanese.

The Xbox will never be big in Japan. Nintendo and Sony have too much power in that part of the world.

though I'd much rather get an Xbox... all the big games (GTA, Metal Gear Solid etc) hit the Xbox in a more enhanced fashion.
  6. bitfactory macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    That's not entirely true - Apple is killing Sony in the portable audio segment. Truly wiping the floor with them.
  7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

That's because Apple is EXTREMELY Japanese in their approach to design, even more-so than Sony...

They WANT to buy Sony products, but Apple's stuff is inapproachably elegant.
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Japanese buy American products. From what I hear, Macs and Harleys sell really well over there.

They just buy for software it seems. They want Japanese games. XBox doesn't provide that as much.
  9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Maybe they want cerebral games?
  10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    I think the lack of games might have something to do with this...

MS just doesn't get it. I shake my head in disbelief over MS' apparent total confusion over the Japanese marketplace.

Triple launch = three continents pissed at you. (Okay, two, actually.) ;)
  11. cartoonfox macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2005
    hey! im half welsh too!! (my other half is chilean)
    and i can totaly relate to you saying your fully japanese in games, i thought i was the only one who felt like that : ]

anyway, im not suprised really that it is not selling well in japan. i AM suprised it's doing worse than the orignal xbox!

i think once a few more japanese developers release their games on 360, it might pick up speed.
    you hear about the xbox360 "not designed to be played verticlay"?
    seems this 360 was rushed way too much to get it out before christmas.
    they deserve every non-sale they get! : ]

12. agm2001 macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2004
    The Japanese know quality. The XBox 360 from all I've seen is not quality material. Then there's the fact that Microsoft doesn't market games that are appealing to the average Japanese gamer. You are more likely to find those style games on GameCube, PS2 (and soon PS3), and even the Dreamcast. Microsoft can't expect to just sell things because they're Microsoft; they have to learn to actually appeal to the consumer instead of shafting them. At any rate Microsoft may pick up a small amount of marketshare but I'd still expect Sony to beat them once again in this round of the console wars just because of the third-party support which produces a larger variety of software which appeals to a wider gamer base.
  13. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    In Japan Sega will be selling refurb Dreamcasts. Watch those outsell the Xbox 360.
  14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The non-backlit GBA still outsells the XBox to this day.
  15. cartoonfox macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2005
    lol : ]

i just read that microsoft wants to sell 2.5 to 3 million 360's within 90 days of the release (im assuming they mean US release?)
    ... but... don't they... need... to, like.... ship, 3 million first?....

: ]

16. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
  17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Microsoft wanted to get ONE BILLION sold in the 360's life span. Absolutely ridiculous. And they have put out only a few hundred thousand so far, worldwide.
  18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Read "The Cult of Mac". There's an entire chapter on Japan. :D
  19. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm not suprised. The Japanese have totally different taste in games compared with Americans and Europeans. We predominately like sports, racing, and FPS. The Japanese prefer RPG's, anime-esque games, and involved stories. Notice how the 360 nails one of those groups and completely misses the other.

I'm not saying that American's don't like RPG's. Who doesn't, really? It's just that we will buy a system for a racing game. The Japanese won't. (PGR3 is AWESOME, btw;) )
  20. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    well looks like the dead or alive 4 launch will be the important point... if it fails with bringing in lots of new buyers then the 360 will very likely go the way of the original xbox... which also means that little japanese developer support jump on the train and it will be shooters, racing and sports titles all over again...

looks like microsoft completely misscalculated the launch.. to few in the US and in parts of europe and too much in Japan
  21. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    The one territory that Microsoft had to tread carefully.
    Where there had to be; A bigger launch tiltle than Call of Duty.
    The one terrirory where any FPS means 'jack sh*t'
    Where Hello Kitty would be more welcome than some violent git.

The one territory where they needed quality games
    And yet still 'Dead or Alive' & 'Enchant Arm' were delayed
    The one territory they where had a chance to undo
    The mistakes of the past, a chance to prove
    To the one territory that snubbed them before
    We are just as important as that Sony whore!

and yet!

The one territory not a single game would compell
    A long haired girl to come out a scary well
    The one territory where crucial games were delayed
    Leaving a nation unimpressed and hazed
    The one territory that on ebay you wont find
    A thousand xbox's on sale the same launch night
    The one territory for less than 200 quid
    Would buy you a xbox360 and a plate of raw squid

Oh how you may laugh as the large MS take a downfall
    But in the US and Europe it affects us all.
    Shortages still remain on the shelves in stores
    With cries from the public 'we just want more'.
    And if developers from the east decide to pass by
    No chance of Mahjong Challenge 3 may make us all cry

A quick worldwide launch was not important enough you see
    to gloss over the balls up the launch in Japan has been

Practice makes perfect, or so they say!
    Poor old J.Allard never seems to get his way
  22. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I agree that the launch is japan is not very good. The main reason is because the lack of japanese games at launch. I bet Microsoft was counting on the FFXI demo to bring some crowd into buying the X360.

I would wait for DOA4 and Ninety nine knight before puttin the X360 in Deathrow. There's a lot of games in production for the japanese market. The launch was just a bit too soon.
  23. shdwsclan macrumors member

Dec 14, 2005
    Japanese game titles are a lot better than anything the XBOX has. Many of the games dont even get out of japan. Initial D is a hit in japan, and the online RPGs like FF are also a hit. Its basically a monopoly war, Sony owns japan and microsoft is trying to crush them. Also, japanese dont want to admit that their hardware is a lot crappier than their american compepators. Microsoft should distribute their SDK for free to jap game devs like Square and also give them lower publishing costs. Thats the easy way to put sony out of business. The main thing about the hardware part is that the PS3 will have bluRay and everybody wants that. The problem is that nobody will use bluRay because most games will fit onto a regular dvd. If sony does implement a DVR on the PS3 then that means that you will be able to copy games on the PS3 easily with minor modifications and Im sure sony doesnt want that. Few people in japan can actually afford an HDTV thats worth viewing anyways. Sony is prematurely announcing a HDTV medium winner when history could easily repeat itself like betaMax and BluRay could be a flop...and if it is then basically your stuck with a unit that wont play movies. On the other hand, sony is monopolizing and buying out major american motion picture studios and thats where we get umd movies from columbia...unfortunately sony does make the movies produced at those studios pretty crappy for some reason....
  24. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    OK .. now it it really stops to be amusing/entertaining or whatever you call it:

japanese sales figure from 12.12-18.12 from Media Create (second week for the 360)

Nintendo DS 408.770
    PSP 95.689
    PlayStation2 55.342
    Game Boy Advance SP 19.098
    Gamecube 17.849
    Game Boy Micro 14.432
    Xbox 360 8.623
    Game Boy Advance 416
    Xbox 182

if microsoft doesn't release any japanese games soon then this gonna end up ugly...
  25. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Exaclty, DOA is HUGE in Japan. It's my favorite series as well (second place is the Street Fighter series) as far as fighters go. DOA 4 STILL hasn't been released, has it?

I want that game so bad.

The Japanese have enver been real big on American consoles. This is no surprise to me.