Java 1.4.01 Compiler

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lolbro, Apr 5, 2003.

1. lolbro macrumors newbie

How do I know if I have a Java 1.4.01 compiler? it is just type "java -version"?

People say to get 1.4.01 compiler or SDK (which one is true)

1) I just need to do a software update then I will have Java 1.4.01 SDK

2) I need to download (or get a copy of Dec 2002 Dev tools, a 400 MB DL) and then download Java 1.4.01 update for Dev tool via ADC?

------------------------------
    I havnt DL any programming IDE, yet, but I need soon for my Java class for school. I guess Eclipse is one of the best IDE for OS X? BTW, How do I configure or tell which compiler is the IDE like Eclipse is using 1.3.1 or 1.4.01?

Eclipse or Net Beans or Project Builder (i have tried project builder on my brother's computer and I find it slow and bloated)

What IDE would you recommend?, my programming teacher uses Eclipse on his Linux box.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can tell the Java Virtual Machine's version by typing java -version, but the compiler doesn't have such an option.

The SDK includes the compiler. If you're going to use JDK 1.4.1, you need to have downloaded JVM 1.4.1 prior to that. Therefore, the answer would be 3 (1 + 2).

I use jGrasp from Auburn University for most development on the client side. Eclipse is much more involved but I'm starting to use it so that I can create server side Java.