Java 2 SE 5.0

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mowogg, Apr 29, 2005.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Java 2 SE 5.0 Release 1 is available for Tiger from Apple-
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/java2se50release1.html

Does anyone know of any pages where this implementation could be tested?

Apple notes that this version does NOT replace 1.4.2 or 1.3, but is supplimental, and is available should a web page make a call requesting it.

TIA,

Rob

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting...wonder why. Is it still buggy, or are there commands that are deprecated / changed / deleted that make it incompatible? I didn't think you usually had to have multiple Java versions available on other platforms.

Is this coming through for anyone with Tiger on S/W update?

3. Bear macrumors G3

Why? Some software actually calls for a specified version of Java (and therefore won't work in any other version, even if there are no technical issues) and some software only works in some versions of Java due to compatability and changes to Java.

4. jcgerm macrumors member

There are some inconsistencies between versions. An year ago I was working on an app that was largely written with 1.3.1 and there was no way we could use 1.4.2 just because of the libraries that were used.

From what I've seen, Panther includes a runtime for Java 1.3, 1.3.1, and 1.42. So, it's not really a surprise that Java 5 is supplemental.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oooh, you're starting to ring bells. Sorry, I remember more of this now. I do remember that there were some major incompatibilities between early versions of Java (and let's not even get started on applets written to run under the MS J++ JVM.... :mad: ).

Anyway, this sounds like a good thing. :)

But I do still wonder...isn't the newest JRE the most optimized? So won't Java programs which will run under any of the versions run best under 1.5 / 5.0? Apple's description doesn't sound like it makes 5.0 the default Java version. That's the part I think I still find odd.

6. jcgerm macrumors member

That depends on what you mean by optimized. Plus optimized doesn't necessarily mean compatible. So, some apps/applets might not run on the 5.0 runtime.

You're right about the default version though. 1.4.2 stays the default, but apps/applets that require/request the 5.0 runtime will be able to use it. Plus developers will too.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So it looks like Apple does not really plan to mainstream the Java 5 JRE, since it never appeared in Software Update? Or did it appear for anyone else at some point?