Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Does anyone know if Oracle will be able to have a replacement JVM for the one Apple is dropping support for by OS X Lion? I heard that Apple was going to sell them the code they'd built over the past few years, but wasn't sure if that was true or not.

Especially with the upcoming release of Java 7, I keep doubting a magical new JVM from Oracle to replace Apple's soon-to-be deprecated one. But does anyone have any info on this?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I heard that Apple was going to sell them the code they'd built over the past few years, but wasn't sure if that was true or not
Don't believe the rumours. There is no truth in it at all.

“We’re delighted to be working with Oracle to insure that there continues to be a great version of Java on the Mac,” said Bertrand Serlet, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “The best way for our users to always have the most up to date and secure version of Java will be to get it directly from Oracle.”

Apple also confirmed that Java SE 6 will continue to be available from Apple for Mac OS X Snow Leopard® and the upcoming release of Mac OS X Lion. Java SE 7 and future versions of Java for Mac OS X will be available from Oracle.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Wonderful. So SE 6 will still be built in, but an upgrade to 7 will have to wait until Oracle's finished building its own version for Mac? That's better than I'd hoped. Do you happen to know the extent to which Apple will be facilitating Oracle's development, since they're apparently not simply selling them the code?

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Wonderful. So SE 6 will still be built in, but an upgrade to 7 will have to wait until Oracle's finished building its own version for Mac? That's better than I'd hoped. Do you happen to know the extent to which Apple will be facilitating Oracle's development, since they're apparently not simply selling them the code?

The OpenJDK website is down. When it's back, the Mac OS X status page is at: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/macosx-port/

This blog post (of unknown reliability) suggests there will be a lag of a few months from when JDK 7 is released for Solaris, Linux and Window before the Mac OS X port is released. This seems reasonable to expect.

I can't see Apple having any vested interest in holding back the Mac OS X OpenJDK port. I would expect they'll contribute all the code they can.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
The OpenJDK website is down. When it's back, the Mac OS X status page is at: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/macosx-port/

This blog post (of unknown reliability) suggests there will be a lag of a few months from when JDK 7 is released for Solaris, Linux and Window before the Mac OS X port is released. This seems reasonable to expect.

I can't see Apple having any vested interest in holding back the Mac OS X OpenJDK port. I would expect they'll contribute all the code they can.

The Apple engineers have said as much on the mailing lists, Apple has put a lot of effort into getting Java to run as well as possible on the mac, and right now they are working on integrating all that work into the main Open JDK codebase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.