Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Yeah more or less. Both are security risks these days, neither Apple nor Adobe updates their PowerPC Flash/Java anymore, and Flash is just plain pathetically slow on OS X.

From my blog:

In this day and age, Flash and Java are the digital equivalents the equivalent of dropping a bar of soap in a prison shower.

OK, back in high school we played with Flash to make animations.

And then Flash became popular on the web. At the same time, Java (entirely different to the similarly named JavaScript) was becoming popular as a cross-platform programming language.

Long story short, both have now outlived their usefulness, both are riddled with security holes and other such things that you do not want. Flash can store special “LSO” cookies in your web browser to track you. Also consider that Flash has utterly horrific performance on OS X. Today I eradicated Flash and Java from my three main computers. Now I tell you how to do it.

First up, Flash. If you want to simply block it, the Firefox addon “Flashblock” will do so, for Safari, use “ClickToFlash”. I preferred to simply wipe it off my computer entirely. To do that, you download Adobe’s official Flash Uninstaller. Link is [here].

Next, Java. You can disable it quite easily, you got to /Applications/Utilities and open “Java Preferences”. You open that, and you’ll see a couple of checkboxes that say something like “JSE 5.0″. Uncheck them to disable Java.

Unfortunately I found that isn’t always totally reliable, as it seemed to only disable Java on the admin account on the computer I disabled it on. That made me a bit antsy so I simply deleted Java. You can tell it has worked if you then try to open the “Java Preferences” application and it crashes.

How to delete Java? You need to delete 3 files/folders:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

And there you have it. Java and Flash GONE.

To check you have eradicated Java, open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and run the following command:

sudo /usr/libexec/java_home

You will be required to enter your admin password. If you do not have Java installed, the terminal should reply with something like this:

sudo: /usr/libexec/java_home: command not found

<3

http://michaelanthonyralph.com/wp/2012/11/08/in-this-day-and-age-flash-and-java-are-the-digital-equivalent-of-dropping-a-bar-of-soap-in-a-prison-shower/

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I blocked both a while back. Unfortunately, I found I was still depending on them for certain things so had to undo that.

Note, if you are using Firefox/TenFourFox/Aurorafox and NoScript you can use NoScript to block Flash. You don't have to install FlashBlock with NoScript. Of course if you are not using NoScript then it's necessary to install FlashBlock if you want to block Flash.

AdBlockPlus also has an Elements plugin. I use this to block annoying stuff I don't want on screen piece by piece. You can use that to wipe out any blocks of Flashplayer on your screen completely if you like.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Can't say the same about Java. It is a great crossplatform language ("Compile once, Run everywhere")
and its popularity is quite rapidly growing.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Not so fast! That's not entirely true. Sometimes you have to make special java compilations for Mac, or Linux ;)

Maybe depends, our company actually produces J2E software for VERY large companies and we have only one release which runs on Mainframe, iSeries, x86, Windows, Linux, Unix (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX etc) and thats not unusual - Admittedly no Mac clients

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.