java broken on leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by X1Lightning, Nov 1, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I just read an article on javalobby that said there is no java 6 on leopard, and java 5 is broken and very slow compared to tiger....

can anyone confirm this?

2. macrumors 68040

decksnap

java 5 in apparently greatly improved, but 6 is not there yet.

3. macrumors 601

Phil A.

No Java 6 yet but I haven't seen any problems at all with Java 5: it seems to work faster if anything. This is both for developed apps and IDEs such as Zend Studio, Eclipse and JBuilder (all of which are Java apps)

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

This is what the guy at javalobby was saying

5. macrumors member

Yes java is pretty borked at this moment.

I've wasted about a week investigating problems, writing bug reports, reading blogs, communicating with other developers, etc ...

The problems?

Well there are a couple:
    1) SWT, the window toolkit for eclipse, azureus, etc uses the carbon api, which as most of you known has been marked deprecated when tiger was released, but apparently bugs have been fixed in the carbon api that changes some behaviour.
    2) window builder pro plugin, has to run in headless mode to even just start, doing that gives errors about not being able to get to full headless mode and well it usually crashes your eclipse ide after a few minutes of use, this could be due to the fact of swt, or the swt_awt bridge that is notoriously problematic on mac, or because I used it for gwt that there are webkit changes that effect stability.
    3) a sun2d pipeline was introduced for graphical rendering, dunno what the exact problems are with this, heard it was slower but more consistent over all platforms but currently doesn't have hw rendering acceleration.
    4) it's possible that there are garbage collector issues.

So yeah, java 6 is not on leopard but java 5 is less than perfect, especially if you touch the underlaying api's, not even directly, just the tools.

I can't afford to loose any more time, so I'm bad on a windows xp box for the time being ...
    Do I blame apple? yes! definitely, they should release their final build a little bit sooner to big parties like the eclipse team so they can take the precautions necessary to make sure all plugins, even 3th party at least have a heads up about what's going to happen, now when leopard got released not even adc members had it and well **** hit the fan ...

Things that need to happen on the short term: fix swt implementation, fix couple of jdk things, make everything run sane.
    Long term: swt needs to move to cocoa, there are some difficulties because oo api's are harder to abstract through jni, and the event model differs a lot from that of carbon and swt. And apple should make more documentation/api's available before big releases instead of after.