Java Chat

Discussion in 'Community' started by DannyZR2, Aug 12, 2002.

1. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

Other sites I've seen have a java chat window that works like IM that you can talk with other members... I talked to the guy who wrote the code and supposedly it is pretty basic and non-intesive for the server. It'd be nice to have such a thing like that here..

Go to www.honda-tech.com

that's where it the IM is at. Once you register (free) you can go to "Member List" and seach for a member... just put in anything.... then you can click the members name and you have an option to "Send <username> an IM" and a window pops up.. I think it is Java, but I'm not sure.. it works up here at work whereas that one that we used during Macworld would not work up here for whatever reason.. firewall I think...

What do you guys think???

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: Java Chat

actually that was kidna why arn used it... cause it took up only a little bit of bandwith during the keynote (the forums take up a lot of bandwith) - it had nothing to do with a firewall...

i think that this sort of thing has been considered and was never really done.. i think that chat is a lot less interesting and a lot more chaotic when a lot of users are around.. like a lotta ppl may have questions while others are discussing rumors.. and there arent enough people (online at once) to have seperate rooms for each topic..

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i personally liked the chat room, cept right when the keynote was going on n 200 ppl were talking at once
    a chat room is a good way to just chat bout whatever and get away from teh forums for a few hours a day...

n if u feel like coming into the MR irc chat room (n u have an irc script installed) go to irc.newnet.net, and the room is #macrumors