Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveCheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I'm just learning Java and I also just bought my first mac (yay!). What app do you use to write Java for OSX? Thanks.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
iLoveCheese said:
I'm just learning Java and I also just bought my first mac (yay!). What app do you use to write Java for OSX? Thanks.

Eclipse is a great environment for programming Java. I haven't tried XCode. But most of the time I stick with Emacs. Just can't help it. I'm so used to it.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
there are a lot here is a list from simpler to more complex IDE:
-blueJ(this is so simple and easy to use they use it to teach high school kids how to program in java)

-jbuilder(in my opinion the best out there it 's from borland and you can get the foundation version for free)

-eclipse (very good but much to complicated for staters IMO)

-xcode (way to much for simple applications if you only doing java go with some thing else)

well I'd go with jbuilder it might take longer to download since you would have to register for a borland acount but it's free and very good IMO it's worth the time. here is a link jbuilder just go down to foundation and you can get it. :D :cool: :cool:

capo923

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
Used Eclipse at college, seemed even too complicated for our first two java classes. We never even touched all of the very helpful features.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
In addition to the obvious choices XCode and Eclipse, you could check out the simpler BlueJ, which seems quite nice and is also free...

...as I see xwk88 has already recommended, by reading the thread through... ;)

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
Textmate

Textmate is a general text editor, that I have been using lately.

For java, auto completion will be nice, but this editor puts quite alot of power in your hands in the form of bundles. You can create your own snippets, macros and commands.

With commands you can compile and run your java using a keyboard shortcut.

I think that it is very powerful and worth a look, but maybe you are looking for a specialized java editor then this is not for you.

The only catch is that it is not free.
( I paid because I feel the developer is doing a great job with it. )

Well if you have time, try it and see what you think.
check out their website http://www.macromates.com and go to the wiki and download the latest beta. I don't think the beta on versiontracker is the latest. I'm using beta 14 by the way.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Eclipse, even though its free and has great features, is not the best thing for first time Java programmers so I wouldn't recommend it.

BlueJ (which is made in) is a good beginner one, with lots of features to that are nice for beginners like showing UML diagrams and creating the documentation, though I find it can also be confusing sometimes at least in the beginning.

With Xcode, you can just open a file and start typing, but it can be lacking since you can't compile unless your files is part of a target in a project, though you can easily get around it by opening up a Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and using the javac command to compile and java command to run.

My recommendation: If you can spend a little time and a little energy to figure out all the features, then go with BlueJ. Else if want to just sit down and type up a quick program with no real need for lots of extra features, you can just open up Xcode, open a New File and start typing, and just keep a Terminal open on the side for compiling and running.

Myself? I have all 3 on my machine. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.