Java on Leopard - How to install API?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by firesong, Nov 1, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Jul 13, 2007
    Hi all,

I've been looking around and trying to figure out how to get the APIs in for Java 5 on OS X Leopard. I can't seem to be able to find how to do it. The "java_for_mac_os_x_10.5_documentation.dmg" file does not seem to include the API reference, or perhaps I might be looking at the wrong places?

As to why I would like it installed - it used to be installed on my Tiger rig, but I've just upgraded to Leopard. Am a student, and some places I go to do not have Wifi or internet access, so having the API with me is a huge bonus.

Appreciate any help, and thanks in advance!
  2. macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    I'm sure you can just download them from Nothing really needs to be installed, they are just html files.
  3. macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  4. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
  5. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2005
    London, UK
    After installing java_for_mac_os_x_10.5_documentation.dmg from the ADC website, I now have J2SE 5.0 and Java 1.4 API Reference in the sidebar of my documentation window (Help -> Documentation).
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Jul 13, 2007
    Oh thanks! :D

I figured it was around somewhere since I found out Eclipse (which is what I mainly use, not XCode. :eek:) does show the document reference when you hover.

Why I thought it wasn't around was because I usually use Quicksilver to bring up the document, having aliased it to "API" in my previous tiger install - now it doesn't show anything, so I guess the quicksilver developer plugin is broken. :(

Here's the link (it's quite deep in), if anyone else might need it :
    Thanks all!