Java Plug-in not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millerrh, Oct 10, 2005.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

I'm trying to view web pages that have Java as part of them and Safari (and Firefox) tell me that "Java is unavailable." So I went to this website:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/java/

I downloaded and installed this program, and it still doesn't work.

If I go to
    library/internet plug-ins/ or user/library/internet plug-ins, the java plug-in is not there like I think it should be. How do I get java plug ins to go into those folders so that I can view Java websites?

2. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

In your Safari preferences, did you happen to disable Java/plug-ins?

3. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, it's all enabled like it should be. It's almost like when I installed Java it didn't install it right. Isn't it supposed to install the internet plug-in as part of the general installation? Is there a way to manually go in and force it to install the plug-in?

4. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I believe that each Mac OS X system contains a built-in Java (version 1.3.1 or later). What sites are you trying to view?

5. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Any site that has Java doesn't work. It's happened numerous times. This morning, for instance, I was trying to brush up on my blackjack skills before my trip to vegas this weekend and tried to run this site:

http://www.s-a-g-e.com/blackjack_info/bj_test/Bjtest.html

But I get an error saying that Java is not available. Java is installed. If I go to Applications/Utilities/Java I see that 1.4.2 and 5 are installed now. But for some reason Safari doesn't think they are. I have a feeling it's just because there is no Java in the plug-ins folder. Everything else I have a plug-in for (Acrobat, Shockwave, Real Player, etc.) is there in the plug-ins folder.

6. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

I fixed it! :)

I went to spotlight, searched for "java plug-in" and low and behold if it didn't install a plug-in in my library/image capture/internet plug-ins folder. So I just copied it and pasted it in library/internet plug-ins and now I can view web pages that have Java. Not sure why it didn't install it there in the first place, but as long as it works, that's all that really matters.