Java println("help")

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Jasonbot, Jul 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm studying java this weekend on an old powermac G4 and thus the only java IDE I could get was bluej as its small and user friendly-except for one thing. I can't run my simple apps from directly withing the IDE and thus I can't view the println()'s that I've made. Is there any way for me to see the println's, they dont show up in terminal, or is there another java IDE that I can use that will run my apps and give me my println()'s?

2. macrumors 601

sammich

[URL="http://macromates.com/]TextMate[/URL]

Everything you need. It's not an IDE, but it's perfect for programming in java, especially little projects.

Except the whole 'visualisation' of the connected methods and the like.

3. macrumors 6502

Despite it's size, Eclipse is great I used to run it on a G4, and although it has a slow initial load time, once it's running it's fantastic.

4. macrumors newbie

Step 1: Open up Terminal.
    Step 2: Navigate to the folder where your code is located (using 'cd').
    Step 3: Type 'javac filename.java'.
    Step 4: Type 'java filename'.

*oops...I didn't read the original post thoroughly. I see you're having a problem of them NOT showing up in Terminal.....

nevermind.

5. macrumors 6502a

How are you doing your println()'s? System.out.println() should work fine in the terminal.

b e n

6. macrumors regular

I take it by terminal you mean you're using the BlueJ terminal (View > Show Terminal). If you're using System.out.println() then I don't see why it's not coming out. If anything you'd be better off running things from the command line.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I figured it out, how to run my programmes in bluej, just gotta go rightclick>main method. Work perfectly. Thanks for the help anyways!