Java problems with chatrooms!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paul71, Aug 16, 2004.

1. paul71 macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2004
    Since i updated to OS 10.3.5 and java 1.4.2 i have had problems with java. Sites that use java applets like live surf webcams wont open and all i get is a grey block with a red X in the top left corner. Also my kids used to use chat rooms, but since the update they can't, they get the same gey box where the chat should be. Also this error pops up:

I've looked on many discussion forums and i have not seen anyone else with this problem, so im thinking that something is wrong at my end! Ive run repair permissions, done a virus check and re-installed Java 1.4.2 and 10.3.5 but no change. Can anyone help????

if anyone who has updated both these apps and can get into an online chatroom please let me know...try then just click on 'find a friend' then click on room name to log on.

Please help as my kids are making my life hell without being able to chat!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
  2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Hm, I've had some problems with Java and chatrooms. Mostly Yahoo, although I have gotten it to work sometimes, it doesn't work with 10.3.5. Funny it worked great in 9.0 on a dial-up beige powermac :rolleyes:. (btw, anyone use Yahoo chat??) Um, I don't know if I can help, but did you try it in a different browser? If you're using Safari, you could try something like Firefox or even IE, sometimes it does work better in those. I guess 10.3.5 could be to blame if it was working before you installed it. Did you also install the Java update that came out with 10.3.5?
  3. paul71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2004
    Thanks for getting back so quick! Yep updated latest java. I have tried in other browsers...i can get the webcam to work now, but still no chatroom success! If it is to do with 10.3.5 is there any way in reverting back to 10.3.4 ? Im non technical when it comes to all this stuff so is that just a stupid question?
  4. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    yahoo chat used to work with MS IE before the lastest update and now it doesn't. Camino and Safari haven't worked with Yahoo chat since 10.3.3 :( Disappointing that Apple still has not come up with a decent browser that works with something as simple as this. Shame that one of the best browsers for the mac is the last version os MS IE for OS9.
  5. paul71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2004
    Yep i agree. the only way the kids can get into the chatroom they use is by opening OS 9...but thats just wrong!!!
  6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    To use Yahoo chat on OS X then download:

or OS X and OS 9

I know all three of the writers (3 because there are two versions of charla), all of whom are very nice people, often in the Macintosh chat room on Yahoo! to reply to any questions.

Personally I use the cocoa charla, and chitchat in os 9 as the coder spends a lot of time making it just right.
  7. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    The ukchat link worked fine here. I have all the latest updates.
  8. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    The error error seems to be a result of the applet trying to get the proxy configuration. Is Automatic proxy configuration turned on in Network settings? If it is, do you need it?