Java Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wildcat, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Wildcat macrumors regular

Ok I am taking computer science 127a and its basically Java programing. They want me to use JDK and Text Pad. Is this available for X or is there an equivalent I can use?

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

TextPad is not available for X.

I'm not sure what a good replacement would be. BBEdit might be overkill, but certainly covers most of the capabilities listed. I don't know of any shareware/freeware alternatives as I am still relatively new to the Mac world.

3. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah isnt BBEdit a HTML editer?
    I guess I just want a Java Developers Kit

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unix Way

Open up the terminal. Type javac. This is the java compiler. Type java. This is the java runtime environment. Type emacs. This is a (great) text editor. Now to use it all together. Open 2 (or maybe 3) terminal windows. Use cd and mkdir to get yourself a nice directory to work in (in both terminal windows). In one window type emacs. Open the file with the name you want to work on (Ctrl-X Ctrl-F <filename>). Type whatever you are meant to type. Save the file (Ctrl-X Ctrl-S). In the other window type javac <filename> If no errors appear your java has been compiled. Type java <filename-without-the extension> to run the java.

5. oldMac macrumors 6502a

BBedit is fine

BBedit is a fine programming editor. (ie, a good text editor)

The fact is that you don't need a "Java development environment". Most programmers don't use them.

You need the following:

1) A text editor
    2) A compiler (javac for java from the command line)

For Java, you also need the "java runtime" to execute your programs. A good place to start is here:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/unix.html

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Developer Tools

I should have suggested this first. Install the developer tools (from the CD that came with OSX) and use Project Builder (Java Command Line or something similar in the wizard).