java

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by rmbpuser, Sep 30, 2012.

1. rmbpuser, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

macrumors regular

i just noticed i have "java preferences" in my utilities folder
    thing is i havent installed java and i heard id doesnt come anymore with osx since lion

when i click it it just says i dont have java runtime installed and asks if i wish to install it.so how did this thing get on my machine?

2. macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Java is NOT installed on your system. You clicked "Java Preferences" so it assumes that you want to set these preferences and to do so it needs to download and install Java. So, it is offering to do that for you.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

oh so thats normal. good to know, thanks :)

4. macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I believe java 1.6 should be preinstalled on your Mac. Then, it's up to you if you want to install java 1.8. I'm running Mountain Lion.

5. macrumors 601

talmy

It's not preinstalled. But if you are using any software that needs it, it will be installed automatically. For me it happens at the first login after the upgrade as I use CrashPlan which starts right away in the background.

6. Weaselboy, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Nope... anything that shipped new with Lion or later does not have Java installed from the factory.

7. macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hm weird. What if I upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard? Nah. I think I just forgot that I installed it.

8. macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard had it installed by default... so if you had it there and upgraded, then you still had it.

9. macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Ok. Even if I did a clean install?

10. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

No. If you had Snow Leopard (which came with Java) and "upgraded" to Lion/Mountain Lion, you would of course still have Java. But if you had Snow Leopard and did a true fresh/clean install of Lion/Mountain Lion by erasing the drive and installing nothing but Lion/Mountain Lion you would not have Java.

So if you have Java under Mountain Lion you either did an upgrade install from Snow Leopard or you installed Java yourself.

11. macrumors member

DeBilbao

12. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I posted in your thread... but the Java 7 installer automatically makes Java 7 the new browser plugin.