Java

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hui__lim, Apr 30, 2003.

1. hui__lim macrumors regular

I'm a computer science under graduate and am learning Java at the moment. Can anyone recommend any decent Java programming software (preferably freeware but if its an excellent Java writting software, I don't mind parting with my cash. Currently, I'm using CodeGuide by OmniCore and I think its a brilliant piece of software with colour coding (a must have feature, and highlights mistakes that you have done, much like spelling mistakes but Java mistakes)
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Eclipse all the way. It's ugly and slow, but damn does it kick ass. Real time syntax checking, nice debugger, refactoring tools (<-- spiffy), autocorrect, premade templates for bunches of stuff, etc...

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

For free Java editors I still like Emacs. It does syntax highlighting, brace matching, etc. You can also download the JDE development environment for Emacs, which adds a debugger, etc., but I don't use it.

4. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hmm, I'll check it out. I'm still looking for a Java IDE for the Mac that's as good as Visual Cafe for Windows.

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

6. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

Can you please post the webpage for eclipse, I went to google and searched it and the result i came up with was an old version that didnt work with OSX. Cheers!

7. sageenos macrumors member

Project Builder or Hydra

Project Builder is a very nice IDE and it handles java well. It packages all your classes and whatnot into jar files, which is pretty nice.

But, if you're more of a minimalist, I would definitely recommend Hydra and Terminal. Just code in Hydra then compile on the command line with javac.

CodeGuide sounds like a good piece of software though. I would just try out whatever IDE's you find and choose what seems best.

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Project Builder

Just use Apple's Project Builder... its a very nice enviornment and it's simple. Great for a student. I am a CS major (about to finnish) and I have used many enviornments for school and work (I work in industry) and I like Project Builder the best.

I have used:

CodeWarrior
    Sun OneSudio (was called Forte)
    webgain
    Borland JBuilder
    MS J++
    VI and the JDK
    BlueJ
    Project Builder

... for JAVA

9. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

Erm... I kinda lost the website as to where to download Project Builder from. Could some kind soul please post it. Thanks

10. agp macrumors member

It came with OS X. Just install the developer CD that came with your machine or when you purchased OS X. Once installed you can locate it in /Developer/Applications.

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Give IntelliJ's IDEA a shot. It doesn't have a GUI builder, but its still the best IDE I've ever used.

Get it at www.intellij.com. (Free trial version, 300$ a copy for a license).

Taft

12. cubist macrumors 68020

What's Hydra? Is it a good editor?

I use javac and nmake, but editing with vi is a little rough because of the ^M vs. ^J (\n) line ending problem.

(Explanation: Old Mac text files have lines ending with 0x0D, aka ^M, aka CR. PC text files have lines ending with 0x0D 0x0A, aka ^M^J, aka CRLF. Unix text files have lines ending with 0x0A, aka ^J, aka LF. Vi only likes the latter.)

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Hydra allows two people to edit a single file simulteneously over the network via Rendevous. I find it of little use as a text editor and of marginally more use for virtual pair programming.

There are other IDE's (this is really an editor) that do a much better job at syntax coloring, real-time syntax checking, project organization, automated compilation, and integration with other tools.

Check out ProjectBuilder from Apple, JBuilder from Borland, or IDEA from IntelliJ.

Taft

14. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

My Powerbook didn't seem to appear with the Developer CD. It only came with with software install & restore and a hardware testing cd. Is the developer cd only for macs in the USA? My PB was purchased about 7 months ago in the UK. Can i download project builder? Thanks!!

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Go to http://developer.apple.com/
    Create an account (or use your .Mac ID)
    Go to the Download Software section
    Go to the Mac OS X subsection
    Download the developers tools

Its worth noting that the download is huge. So beware.

Taft

16. agp macrumors member

I suggest downloading it from the apple developer site as previously posted. However, I think you should have received a copy with your powerbook....I bought my mac in the UK and received a copy...

Can I also suggest that as a computing student it is well worth becoming an apple student developer.

I am just finishing a Software Engineering degree in the UK and have been a member for the last 2 years....

you get free OS updates, developer software updates (including project builder) and hardware discounts for only $99 (£65ish) a year

http://developer.apple.com/students/

17. agp macrumors member

18. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular