Jaw makes snapping noises

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by muffinman, Sep 17, 2006.

1. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

Since last week, whenever I bite something more than oatmeal, my jaw makes a funny noise. I think its something where my jaw moves left or right or up or down. It's a little cracking noise. There is no pain though.

I'm 16. Could this be because I'm growing and my jaw is growing? Or is it something else? Should I be worried?

2. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

ive got something like that too, i went to my doctor and he said see a dentist so i think i have to see a dentist and also for you i think go and see your doc and see what he says. btw im 16 too

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

This happened to me too. I ended up getting a bite plate, because apparently, I unconciously clench at night. Its still a problem for me at twenty :eek:

4. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

After you got the bite plate, did you still get these cracks?

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm 17 and also had this. Its not TMJ, I know that. It just eventually went away.

6. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Do you chew gum often? Or do you do something that would cause you to work your jaw more often than usual? What I am asking about would be signs of wear on the pad of cartilage that is near your ear (making the jaw's motion nice and smooth). LINK But, I'm not doctor (yet).

If it bothers you maybe you should have someone look at it.

7. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

How long till it went away?

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Hey muffinman, don't sweat it. TMJ is quite common with a lot of people, myself included. It goes away after awhile and comes back periodically from time to time.

We humans are produced with two inherent design flaws: The lower back and the jaw. The human jaw is very strong, but the joint was not designed durable enough to handle the strength. The lower back on the other hand, is weak AND a poor design. ;)

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Maybe we should write a strongly worded letter to the manufacturer?:p

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That won't work...there is no warranty on body parts/organs..you break it you lose.

Bless

11. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

Alright. Thanks. Hopefully this will go away in a couple of days...

I hope its not TMJ. TMJ looks painful......

12. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I'm so bad at reading the fine print.:D

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Forget it. There's a better model coming out next Tuesday™.

14. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Classic.:D

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Speaking of jaws, I've got a question about something that happened to me. I was driving somewhere, and all of the sudden, I felt excruciating pain in my jaw. It hurt like hell, and was even worse when I tried to move it. The pain was so bad that if I wasn't a couple blocks from home, I probably would've had to pull over because it was that bad. Then, after 5 minutes or so, the pain went away and it returned back to normal. That was the first and only time that's happened to me, what the heck was it?

16. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

The popping and the locking up are gone, but my jaw still is sore in the morning.

17. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Hopefully you won't end up like Buster in Canada!

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I grind my teeth something awful.

I tried a sports mouthguard but it made me gag. I am going to get fitted for one.

I get jaw pain around the "hinge" of the jaw. I fill a sammich ziploc bag wtih hot water and hold it up to it. It helps. Or sometimes I have a headache from the pain and I take ibuprofen.

EDIT: the dentist is also going to drill at my teeth so that they fit better together and will hopefully have less grinding. You could ask about that. It might be called a "fitting" or something....looking forward to it.

19. madog macrumors 65816

madog

My buddy has had a jaw "clicking" noise for as long as I've known him. It trips me out at times but he's always had it and he's fine.

On a side note, I have an over bite and a side bite. Basically my jaw is so [unnoticeably] misaligned that I am a candadite to have my jaw broken, wired shut, and realigned. Sounds appealing, I know, but I still have a beautiful smile so my orthodontist can go fornicate himself. "Get my jaw broken", what a jackass.

20. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Yup, sometimes the treatment is worse than just living with an annoyance.

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I have mild TMJ (craptastic orthodontist) and it comes and goes (I'm 26 now)... what helps the most when it is bad is just to massage the jaw muscles for awhile while relaxing them so my mouth hangs open a bit (do this at home, in your room, with the door closed where noone will see you ;)). This helps me unlock my jaw and eat/speak normally.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thank god for this thread. I've been getting something funky for about a year now. It must be something to do with the cartilage as the more I use my jaw - the harder it is to use. Never, ever painful though. The best way to describe it is if I look fully up, I can not fully open my mouth or move it sideways, it sorta locks in place. I can still open a little bit though.

It's only on one side too. the dentist said "ah, you have the clicking jaw, i will refer you to hospital"... which he hasn't done yet. If anything it's more an annoyance - eating pizzas or anything big just becomes nigh impossible!

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I creaked and groaned all through my growing months. I've definitely finished growing and I creak less nowadays. I think creaking teenagers are normal. :cool:

24. Lau Guest

I'm part of the club too! :D

My dentist referred me to some dental hospital, but I never went through with it because it would have involved all sorts of night guard nonsense and at the time I had a burgeoning sex life to be a-getting on with. :p

It's got much better by itself now. The only time it ever bothers me is if I eat anything larger than a small popcorn at the cinema — as I start to get anywhere near the bottom of a medium it starts clicking quite badly. My solution is to not be a fat cow and just get the small, as the medium's gargantuan anyway. :)

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

The same thing (or something similar) happens to my wife constantly. It seems like every time we sit down to eat her jaw makes these loud pops. If it doesn't go away, we may go to the dentist for it.