jawbone and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dblake15, Apr 9, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried to pair their jawbone and the iPad?? Did you get it to work??

With all of the voip coming out soon from google and skype over 3G we would need to use bluetooth. I just can;t get my icon paired on the iPad and wondering if it is me or is it missing the handsfree portion to allow talking.

Thanks

2. macrumors member

Bluetooth keyboard only.

I believe for now you can only use a keyboard with Bluetooth

3. macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

You can also pair a stereo headset.

4. macrumors regular

RoarinRow

I have the jawbone icon which works with my iPad. I can listen to music, videos etc. The only problem is the iPad doesn't keep it paired with the headset. I keep having to forget device then pair it again. It doesn't ask me for a pair code.

5. macrumors 68020

srl7741

I haven't tried the Jawbone yet but did pair my motorola s9 stereo headset with the iPad and it was not very good. The sound was ok nothing great or anything. It seemed to remain paired at all times but the sound was just terrible compared to a wired pair of headphones.

I'm using the Beats by the Dr and those sound fanstatic compared to BT set

6. macrumors 6502

omgitscro

Bluetooth earpieces won't pair with iPad. Only stereo Bluetooth headsets.

7. macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Cool, thanks. Didn't know that.

8. macrumors 6502a

rablat

If you have the "icon" you can update to the A2DP software, then see if it pairs.

9. macrumors regular

So are ipad owners who want to listen to iTunes stuff buggered when it comes to high quality audio wirelessly? All my music is flac and I don't want to use my wired headphones cuz I'd have to lug the ipad around if I wanted to get up.

10. macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Yup I did that. It was the reason why I bought the icon so I can update it to A2DP. Works great except for the none pairing with the iPad.

11. macrumors 68020

Interesting, my iPad remembers my BT stereo headphones.

12. macrumors 65816

Any issue with the S9 is unlikely to have anything to do specifically with iPad. If you don't like the S9 sound quality, choose any other Bluetooth stereo (A2DP) headset.

The only issue I have with the S9 is wearing comfort. The latest version is a bit more comfortable (be careful - a lot of sellers selling an old version...) but the behind-the-head design means you cannot lay down on your back and listen.

I had a nice Sony A2DP headset with an "earcup" design. (Unfortunately, I lost it...) Problem with it is that it's an "elongated cup" design and really not big enough for anything bigger than a child's ear...

I don't have any issue with sound quality of either headset. But that's a personal judgment. You have to decide for yourself as with any headset.

A2DP is always going to be a compromise vs. a wired headset. A2DP uses lossy compression (ironically, the mono Headset Profile doesn't compress...) and, at least today, it is almost certainly being re-compressed.

A2DP supports the SBC codec and, optionally, several others including MPEG 1/2/4 AAC, ATRAC. Theoretically, you can avoid re-compression IF the headset supports the same encoding as your source material, AND the chipset and driver in the computer/notebook/iPad/whatever are able to "pass through" the digital stream in encoded form. That's in theory, but unlikely that anybody has implemented this.

13. macrumors 6502a

rablat

I am not sure what your doing but I updated "icon" to A2DP and now paired with iPad see pic and the ipad is NOT jailbroken

Attached Files:

14. macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Mine says the same thing but when I turn off the Jawbone to recharge it, then turn it on again later to use it, it doesn't connect automatically. I have to pair it up again.

15. macrumors 6502a

rablat

Yep... Just tried. Well back to square one.

16. macrumors member

I have the Backbeat stereo bluetooth headphones. It paired fine and stays paired. Haven't tried my hubby's jawbone yet though.

17. macrumors member

i use my jabra stone to listen to movies on ipad 3G

18. macrumors member

yes icon must have the A2DP update most are not sold with it already on it

19. macrumors newbie

Jawbone icon on iPad and iphone

Hi, just wanted to know two things:

1) the jawbone icon is good enough for driving?

2) how and if it will work with skype on my iPad?

3) if it will work with skype on my iPhone?

Can anyone help me with these questions please? I'm just about to purchase one and would primarily be using it for driving and skype on both iPhone and iPad and need to know if it will work for both uses?