Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Possibly one of the most contrived projects in the history of headphones, these bluetooth wireless headphones have been almost 3 years in the making.

Just placed my order for a pair here.

I've used the Jaybird Freedoms for the last year or so and they've been absolutely fantastic!!

Really looking forward to this new release from a very under rated brand!!

Last edited:

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Got them and all I can say is WOW!!!! Simply superb!! They ooze class from every pore!! From the packaging to the plethora of ear-buds included in the box, to the patented sports ear cushions, pure quality!! The loss of signal outdoors that plagued the Freedoms seems to have been resolved and call quality looks to have been vastly improved too. The voice prompts are surprisingly handy and informative as is the battery level display on the iPhone status-bar. And then there is the sound quality!!! Accurate, detailed, rich and clean!!!! My only complaint is the volume, how I yearn for 3db-4db more!!! Very difficult to find fault with these headphones, they outstanding!!! I doubt I will ever don a pair of wired headphones again. The gap in performance between the 2 has been well and truly bridged. A job well done Jaybird. The Bluebuds X were well worth the wait!!!

goocy

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I got my Bluebuds X today, having worn cable-based in-ears for four years.
As a newbie to bluetooth headsets, the process was surprisingly simple. The headphones came halfway pre-charged, so I only had to turn them on and start pairing. A tiny LED hinted at me that these earplugs are packed with electronics, however small they are.
The "Wow" moment came when I hit play on my phone, and the sound didn't come out of the speakers as usual, but out of this tiny device wrapped around my neck.

The cable has a very comfortable length, the fit is good, sound quality and battery life are amazing. The earplugs stick out of my ears with about half their length - just barely comfortable under the tight fit of a motorcycle helmet. For motorcycle enthusiasts, I'd probably recommend something with a flatter end. But as an allrounder and all-day in-ear device, it's great to have.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Barely a month old and I've run into a bit of a snag. The control panel on my Bluebuds x is not responding, so no powering up/down (they currently on), no volume up/down, no forward/rewind tracks, no voice call activation etc etc etc

I'm waiting for them to run out of charge. I'm hoping this might force some kind of a reset but that seems unlikely.

I've contacted Jaybird support and eagerly await their response.:(

unluckyalf

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
London
Jaybird Bluebuds X

Hi Sand Man,

like you I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Jaybirds B X's, but I delayed parting with the £169 until I saw some reviews. As most of the reviews were praising the earbuds, one reviewer highlighted the fact that the in-line control appears not to be sweat proof. This may be what your experiencing! Noting this I Contacted Jaybird to confirm or deny this and as yet they haven't responded and I don't believe they will. If I was you I would return them under there defects and lifetime sweat proof warranty.

Let me know how you get on?

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I emailed Jaybird support on the 22nd of December 2012 and got this reply on the 30th of December 2012.

Thank you for contacting JayBird online support. Due to the release of our latest headset we have experienced a few delays in our department so I apologize deeply and thank you for your patience.

I'm deeply sorry to hear that you're having problems with your BlueBuds. It sounds to me like what your experiencing could be caused by sweat. What I can do is provide some instructions on how to fill out an online claim. Once that is completed and the old defective headset is received we will send you that new pair.

1) Go to http://www.jaybirdstore.com and click on My Account. If you're a new customer then create an account by clicking Continue under I'm a New Customer. If you're an existing customer then log on to your account by entering your email address and password.
2) After you log in to your account, click on Request a Return in the middle section titled Orders.
3) Fill out the Detailed Reason for Return and Item fields. Once those are filled out verify your shipping address and your email address. When finished, click the Submit button.
4) At that point you must wait for an emailed response from JayBird, which will arrive within 24 business hours. The email address that will be contacted is the username of the account that the RMA was filled out under.

I hope this information was of help to you and if there is any other questions or concerns you may have feel free to give us a call or send an email to support@jaybirdsport.com Thanks for choosing Jaybird!

sincerely,

JOE PERSCHON // SERVICE AGENT
CS: 1.866.244.3399 // jaybirdsport.com

I completed the request to return on the 30th of December 2012 and am still waiting for an emailed response from Jaybird.

Must say, the whole experience has left me some what disappointed. Was really enjoying them!!

Including customs and shipping to my street address in Johannesburg, South Africa, these Bluebuds cost me around $280. :mad:

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Just got this from Judd Armstrong...

Brent, Your replacement unit will feature a new nano technology which repels sweat. Pretty amazing technology. Check it out at liquipel.com. Will also feature a ridge along the top to locate the secure fit ear cushions a little better. A couple of running changes to the product that didn't quite make it in time for the launch. I'm confident you'll be impressed with the replacement unit. Keep me in the loop!

MurkyDave

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Singapore, Tampines
Same problems over here bro. I can charge the set up, but the buttons don't function like before.So i wasn't the only one encountering this problem. such a hassle to make an exchange. im still waiting for their reply about my set.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
currently have the freedom and will purchase these very soon. has anyone changed the tips on these? I tweeted Comply Foam tips to see what size would work and they said none of their tips will work which sucks! anyone have any luck with Comply fitting??

digitalmedia

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
If you thought Jay Bird\'s Freedom Sprint headphones were the only pair the company had planned for release this year, think again.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
currently have the freedom and will purchase these very soon. has anyone changed the tips on these? I tweeted Comply Foam tips to see what size would work and they said none of their tips will work which sucks! anyone have any luck with Comply fitting??

I have heard of different people on the web being able to very carefully fit some of the Comply tips on like the Tx500.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Ordered the bluebuds x and should be here on Tuesday. I also got the T500 today and hope they fit. I saw some videos on YouTube and one user said they had succes with the T500 fitting. We'll see Tuesday.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I have heard of different people on the web being able to very carefully fit some of the Comply tips on like the Tx500.

Ordered the bluebuds x and should be here on Tuesday. I also got the T500 today and hope they fit. I saw some videos on YouTube and one user said they had succes with the T500 fitting. We'll see Tuesday.

I'm also looking at getting these Bluebuds X and using with Comply. I used to have an early pair of Freedoms and didn't like the stock silicon that it shipped with. They pulled out of my ears too easily. But I love Comply. So I'm hopping the TX500 or T500 will be just the trick.

If anyone has any updates on using Comply Foam tips with these Jaybirds, please post.

dhenry7711

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I have the exact same thing happening to me! Have contacted support as well..

Barely a month old and I've run into a bit of a snag. The control panel on my Bluebuds x is not responding, so no powering up/down (they currently on), no volume up/down, no forward/rewind tracks, no voice call activation etc etc etc

I'm waiting for them to run out of charge. I'm hoping this might force some kind of a reset but that seems unlikely.

I've contacted Jaybird support and eagerly await their response.:(

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Got my new pair last week. Gotta say these are the best bluetooth earbuds I've ever had. Sorry to hear some of you with the problems you're experiencing. I gotta believe that Jaybird will make things right.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Got my new pair last week. Gotta say these are the best bluetooth earbuds I've ever had. Sorry to hear some of you with the problems you're experiencing. I gotta believe that Jaybird will make things right.

I returned the set i bought with only using them for 3 days because i could not get any good signal. i could not leave my iPhone 5 under the bench let alone in my pocket without music skipping. i also had a weird buzzing/hiss sound every 20-30 seconds in one speaker. the same day i shipped them i had one in the mail as a replacement which i got yesterday.

during the time of returning them, i won a FREE pair of BlueBuds X on their facebook photo contest!!! :cool: those will be here tomorrow.

the other pair will be returned. :D

Last edited:

dhenry7711

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013

It took two weeks for them to respond, but finally have a RMA number and will be sending them back tomorrow. Quote "The problem you're having sounds like a sweat issue and we have upgraded the water repelling nano protection on the headsets so I guarantee you will have no problems in the future with the replacements." I'm happy that they are going to make it right. I love these headphones when they are working as they should. Looking forward to the replacements. Is your replacement pair still working good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.