Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
That's like 300 $1.99 apps. I call BS. Serious BS. One, that you could even find that many decent apps to pirate and two, that you can even use that many in one lifetime.

Every one of my friends JB and none us us 'pirate' apps, so there's my test sample.

I suspect there's a few app whore kids out there who horde apps just because they can, but I think the vast majority of JBs do so for usability.

Serious BS? Give me your email and I will give you a screenshot of all of my bills. I have bought almost every EA sports game, every gameloft game (both around 7 dollars EACH), a 70 dollar NBA primetime app, and a ton other apps that cost way more than 1.99...

Here is a list of some of the apps that is on ONE of my iPads (I will gladly prove that I own these apps):
iMovie
iPhoto
Garageband
Pages
Numbers
Keynote
NBA Gametime in 2009 and 2010 (times 2 for 2 years) (Which is roughly $120 by itself)
PS touch (Photoshop)
FL Studio HD
Sunrizer
Djay
Animoog
SketchInk
SketchBook
Inspire pro (might only be a couple dollars now)
N.O.V.A 3
Infinity Blade 1
Infinity Blade 2
COD: Nazi Zombies
COD: Black Ops Zombies
NBA 2k12
NBA Jam
Real Racing 1
Real Racing 2
Asphalt 6
Asphalt 7
Swordigo
Multiponk
AirSupremacy
GTA 3
GTA 4
FIFA 12 HD
Labyrinth 2 HD
Max Payne
MC3
All of the Angry Birds
2 Cut the Rope Games
Civ Rev
Trenches 2 HD
Osmos HD
Flight Control HD
Bloons TD 4 HD
Circadia
Flick Zombies HD
Flick Golf HD
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Dead Space
Cubemen
Reckless Racing HD
Need for speed Hot Pursuit
Family Feud
Conquist 2
Tetris HD (EA Sports)
Jelly Lander HD
Touch Hockey HD
Lego Harry Potter 1
Lego Harry Potter 2
Machinarium
Extreme Flick Golf HD
Backstab
sworcery
Gears
Touchgrind HD
Spiderman HD
Plants vs Zombies HD
Zombies GS
Waldo 2 HD
Where's my water?
Let's Golf 2
Let's Golf 3
Ice Rage
Uno
Zombie Highway
Crash! (EA)
Beyond Ynth HD
Lightbike 2
Ski Safari
Sonic Racing
Wolfenstein 3D
Could Hurt
Pocket Monsters HD
Feed me oil
Plague Inc.
Mini Motor HD
Fancy Pants
Highway Rider
Kingdom Rush
Planimeter
Flightrack Pro (10 dollars for a flight tracker)
Vitalsigns
Printer Pro
Weather Live
GoodReader
Penultimate
Note Tacker HD
FileApp Pro
Quickoffice
Rockmate
Shazam Pro

Oh, and I'm not a kid, and not a "App whore". I have gotten my money's worth out of all of these apps. If this list isn't close to the total, then Ill be happy to give the full list.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Serious BS? Give me your email and I will give you a screenshot of all of my bills. I have bought almost every EA sports game, every gameloft game (both around 7 dollars EACH), a 70 dollar NBA primetime app, and a ton other apps that cost way more than 1.99...

Here is a list of some of the apps that is on ONE of my iPads (I will gladly prove that I own these apps):
iMovie
iPhoto
Garageband
Pages
Numbers
Keynote
NBA Gametime in 2009 and 2010 (times 2 for 2 years) (Which is roughly $120 by itself)
PS touch (Photoshop)
FL Studio HD
Sunrizer
Djay
Animoog
SketchInk
SketchBook
N.O.V.A 3
Infinity Blade 1
Infinity Blade 2
NBA 2k12
NBA Jam
Real Racing 1
Real Racing 2
Asphalt 6
Asphalt 7
Swordigo
Multiponk
AirSupremacy
GTA 3
GTA 4
FIFA 12 HD
Labyrinth 2 HD
Max Payne
MC3
All of the Angry Birds
2 Cut the Rope Games
Civ Rev
Trenches 2 HD
Osmos HD
Flight Control HD
Bloons TD 4 HD
Circadia
Flick Zombies HD
Flick Golf HD
Dead Space
Cubemen
Reckless Racing HD
Family Feud
Conquist 2
Tetris HD (EA Sports)
Jelly Lander HD
Touch Hockey HD
Lego Harry Potter 1
Lego Harry Potter 2
Machinarium
Extreme Flick Golf HD
Backstab
sworcery
Gears
Touchgrind HD
Spiderman HD
Plants vs Zombies HD
Zombies GS
Waldo 2 HD
Where's my water?
Let's Golf 2
Let's Golf 3
Ice Rage
Uno
Zombie Highway
Crash! (EA)
Beyond Ynth HD
Lightbike 2
Ski Safari
Sonic Racing
Wolfenstein 3D
Could Hurt
Pocket Monsters HD
Feed me oil
Plague Inc.
Mini Motor HD
Fancy Pants
Highway Rider
Kingdom Rush
Planimeter
Vitalsigns
Printer Pro
Weather Live
GoodReader
Penultimate
Note Tacker HD
FileApp Pro
Quickoffice
Rockmate
Shazam Pro

Oh, and I'm not a kid, and not a "App whore". I have gotten my money's worth out of all of these apps. If this list isn't close to the total, then Ill be happy to give the full list.

GTA4 on iPad?

i call ******** on that one, there is no ****ing way that u have a PS3 game on an iPad.

no ****ing way.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
GTA4 on iPad?

i call ******** on that one, there is no ****ing way that u have a PS3 game on an iPad.

no ****ing way.

Wow my bad. It's vice city... It's pretty obvious I didn't mean liberty city. I was talking about the prices. The games are irrelevant. I'm sorry I got confused.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

iMovie
iPhoto
Garageband
Pages
Numbers
Keynote
PS touch (Photoshop)
FL Studio HD
Sunrizer
Djay
Animoog
SketchInk
SketchBook
N.O.V.A 3
Infinity Blade 1
Infinity Blade 2
NBA 2k12
NBA Jam
Real Racing 1
Real Racing 2
Asphalt 6
Asphalt 7
Swordigo
Multiponk
AirSupremacy
GTA 3
GTA 4
FIFA 12 HD
Labyrinth 2 HD
Max Payne
MC3
All of the Angry Birds
2 Cut the Rope Games
Civ Rev
Trenches 2 HD
Osmos HD
Flight Control HD
Bloons TD 4 HD
Circadia
Flick Zombies HD
Flick Golf HD
Dead Space
Cubemen
Reckless Racing HD
Family Feud
Conquist 2
Tetris HD (EA Sports)
Jelly Lander HD
Touch Hockey HD
Lego Harry Potter 1
Lego Harry Potter 2
Machinarium
Extreme Flick Golf HD
Backstab
sworcery
Gears
Touchgrind HD
Spiderman HD
Plants vs Zombies HD
Zombies GS
Waldo 2 HD
Where's my water?
Let's Golf 2
Let's Golf 3
Ice Rage
Uno
Zombie Highway
Crash! (EA)
Beyond Ynth HD
Lightbike 2
Ski Safari
Sonic Racing
Wolfenstein 3D
Could Hurt
Pocket Monsters HD
Feed me oil
Plague Inc.
Mini Motor HD
Fancy Pants
Highway Rider
Kingdom Rush
Planimeter
Vitalsigns
Printer Pro
Weather Live
GoodReader
Penultimate
Note Tacker HD
FileApp Pro
Quickoffice
Rockmate
Shazam Pro

Your insinuation was that you pirated all those apps, but when you no longer had a JB, you purchased instead. This list (real or not) has no reflection on what you may or may not have pirated via JB.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Your insinuation was that you pirated all those apps, but when you no longer had a JB, you purchased instead. This list (real or not) has no reflection on what you may or may not have pirated via JB.

If my iPhone was jailbroken, common sense would have been to pirate those apps. If I decided to put an investment on $10 apps, I would do it even faster if I could get it for free.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That's like 300 $1.99 apps. I call BS. Serious BS. One, that you could even find that many decent apps to pirate and two, that you can even use that many in one lifetime.

Every one of my friends JB and none us us 'pirate' apps, so there's my test sample.

I suspect there's a few app whore kids out there who horde apps just because they can, but I think the vast majority of JBs do so for usability.

You do realize that the App Store has been around since 2007, yes? I've probably paid 2x more than that other guy. Even if you download just one app a week, it can get that expensive. I mostly download the $4-10 stuff too.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
You do realize that the App Store has been around since 2007, yes? I've probably paid 2x more than that other guy. Even if you download just one app a week, it can get that expensive. I mostly download the $4-10 stuff too.
Thank you! Not only since 2007.. Since I own iPad's, iPhone's, and a couple iTouches, getting a couple expensive apps a week can turn into $1000+ let alone getting the same app twice (for ipad/iphone).

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I don't know how you guys buy apps and risk wasting money. What if the app didn't meet your expectations?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thank you! Not only since 2007.. Since I own iPad's, iPhone's, and a couple iTouches, getting a couple expensive apps a week can turn into $1000+ let alone getting the same app twice (for ipad/iphone).

Exactly! And the thing is... You can buy an app, have the developer disappear, and have it not work in the next update. That has happened to me. Apple has made so many API updates, it's ridiculous. That's not as big as a problem now, but wow, it used to happen all the time on iOS 3.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Exactly! And the thing is... You can buy an app, have the developer disappear, and have it not work in the next update. That has happened to me. Apple has made so many API updates, it's ridiculous. That's not as big as a problem now, but wow, it used to happen all the time on iOS 3.

Worse is when the entire app dissapears and there is no way to get it back although you paid money for it. I have several that just dissapeared from the app store. I tried to save the ipa, but after 2 phone upgrades and a few computer upgrades/crashes I just can't find these ipas.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't know how you guys buy apps and risk wasting money. What if the app didn't meet your expectations?

I have never bought an app that didn't meet my expectations, nor do I buy apps that aren't specifically called out by review sites or don't have very, very promising screenshots. It's good to actually research and read about what you're buying. The only time I don't care is when it's a free app.

But I always leave a review when something isn't right. And developers usually find me via Google to follow up (which I find hilarious). Some of them give you promo codes for their other apps, and some even add you to their TestFlight thing. Really, if you don't like something, LEAVE FEEDBACK! It's useful for them, especially when you go into detail of what exactly you don't like. :)

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I also Jailbreak so I can use Installous and test if I like an app. If I do, then I go and buy it to support developers, the way it should be.

When is Apple provide a way of testing an app before buying?

I wonder what all the honest JB's will have left to claim when apple does allow this.

I did a JB 2 or 3 years ago. Played with some customizations, but in the end decided they didn't provide much function. Unlocked tethering, which I liked. Unlocked some other features too. But in the end, apple added these missing features and JB started making less sense. I have no desire to pirate.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If my iPhone was jailbroken, common sense would have been to pirate those apps. If I decided to put an investment on $10 apps, I would do it even faster if I could get it for free.

"Common sense"? Come on - it takes far more effort and time to find, install, reinstall, update etc. a cracked app than shelling out $1 for it... I don't think it's economically THAT advantageous to pirate apps with the generally low price point of most apps. This isn't desktop / console world with its $50+ prices...

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
"Common sense"? Come on - it takes far more effort and time to find, install, reinstall, update etc. a cracked app than shelling out $1 for it... I don't think it's economically THAT advantageous to pirate apps with the generally low price point of most apps. This isn't desktop / console world with its $50+ prices...
Really? Cause I'm pretty sure there are apps that are 20-$100 ...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Really? Cause I'm pretty sure there are apps that are 20-$100 ...

Sure there are. You won't actually need more than a handful of them, if any. Most of them are very specialized enterprise apps. It's probably only offline maps in this price category that casual people purchase / need.

(BTW, I'm a rightful customer of them too - see my latest AppStore update screenshot at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16517530/ , in the second screenshot - just over and under the red annotation.)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

Reviews!!! and How much does one pay for bottled water? pop? a Fast food lunch? many other wasteful things. think about the work involved in these apps I rarely feel I wasted .99 and on a $5 + app I read up on but still $5 even $10 you never went to a movie and left pissed because you thought it was a waste of time and money? Or other entertainment..

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010

*SNIP*

Ok thanks for sharing. Now go ahead and put on your tin foil hat and spew about your piracy conspiracies to to people that actually care.

This thread is to discuss the current jailbreaking scene, not your paranoid opinions on the merits of jail-breaking.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Ok thanks for sharing. Now go ahead and put on your tin foil hat and spew about your piracy conspiracies to to people that actually care.

This thread is to discuss the current jailbreaking scene, not your paranoid opinions on the merits of jail-breaking.

Conspiracies? All I said was that I agree that developers lose money...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.