JBL 2.1 speakers: Pop when turning on and waking up iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kevin.rivers, Jun 11, 2006.

1. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Title says it all. Everytime i turn on or wake up the mac from sleep my speakers make a popping noise. It is kind of annoying and I am pretty sure it could damage the speakers. Anyway around this?

On a side note. The 2.5mm plug doesnt go all the way into the macs audio port, is that normal?

2. dualcore macrumors member

dualcore

this happens with most speakers im pretty usre, nothing to worry about

3. vv-tim macrumors 6502

Two possibilities that are completely normal:

- Your computer and speakers are on the same circuit. The computer asks for more power and causes a temporary disruption that causes the pop (or sometimes a hiss if the wiring is less than great).

- Your computer sends some power/signal to your speakers when starting up and causes the pop.

Either way, it's nothing to worry about unless it's a really loud pop. It happens all the time with my studio monitors (and they're $400 each, haha). You should be fine. If you're worried, turn off the speakers and then turn them on once your computer is awake.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

My creature IIs and G4 iMac have been doing this for a couple of years, not all the time, but a lot. I just tune it out now.

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

try turning off the sound on the actual speakers/turning them off completely when you boot up your computer. if it doesnt really bother you, or if it's a hassle to turn on and off your speakers, the poping wont hurt your speakers.

7. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

It really isn't a big deal. I just dont want it to hurt the speakers.

Can anyone confirm that the 2.5 audio plug doesn't go all the way into the back of iMac? There is about 3-4cm that doesn't go in.

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I'm not sure what plug you're talking about (have no idea what a 2.5 plug is :confused: ), but the plug on my creatures goes all the way in to the headphone jack. Have to push a bit but it clicks in.

9. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Sorry 2.5mm or 1/8" plug is what headphones use. I have the JBL Encounters... and it will not go all the way in. I am not going to force it either. I get full sound though. I just thought it was odd that it doesn't go in.

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Just a correction: it's 3.5mm. 2.5 is what a corded headset for like you cell phone is. That is odd though.

11. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Yeah I put 3.5 before. I later decided it was 2.5, thanks for the correction.

It is weird. I will try to snap a pic with my cell and post it.

12. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

ok these are the worst pics ever. However you should be able to see how it protrudes.

Also, I tried two sets of headphones and both would not go in.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
  13. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Compare your speaker plug with another headphone plug. Is the plug on your speakers a bit longer? Does the headphone plug go all the way in?

14. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

they are both the same. and neither go in all the way.

15. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I have creatures, and they pop when I turn the power of my Macbook on/off, or when I put on my light, it really doesn't bother me, the sound is great !!