JBL Creature II LEDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by briantology, Sep 13, 2006.

1. briantology macrumors 6502

Has anyone ever changed the LEDs in the Creature IIs? If so, was it easy? I'm not a soldering expert, though I bet my dad could do a fine job. I've read that some white sets come (or did) with blue LEDs and that silver ones had green LEDs. But my silver ones have white LEDs (though the manual it came with stated they were green). Would it just be possible to buy a set of white Creature IIs with blue LEDs?

[​IMG]

Either everyone hates me, or there really is no answer. Anyways, should I just put out a little more and go for the SoundSticks II? I've read that they are better than the Creatures. Does anyone recommend the SoundSticks over the Creatures?

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

why not just open one up and have a look. ? if it is a led, take it down to the local electronics store and see if you can get one the same but in blue

aussie_geek

3. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i have the black creature IIs coming right now. i wish it was a blue LED, but oh well. as far as i know, it's not so easy to swap out the LEDs, but if your dad can solder well, he just might be able to do it.

only way to really find out about what kind of job it would be, though, is to open one up.

if you do - make sure to post your findings!

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

you could always use colored saranwrap - its very ghetto:D

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

haha.. i have a feeling that wouldn't turn out so nice. even if you got the saranwrap on nicely, think about the color you'd ultimately be getting. green + anything is bound to look like poop.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have a set of white creature speakers, with blue LEDs I would sell if you interested, not sure if your asking for that or not, but thought I would offer it up.

8. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

When and where did you buy them?

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I bought them at best buy about 4 yrs ago. They still work just fine though.

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yes it is.

Get yourself a voltmeter and test the voltage on the LED. It is probably 3.3V or something like that.

http://www.lsdiodes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index

They have some great leds. Some are very bright too.

You then get some desoldering braid and remove the old LED, solder in the new one. And you are done.

It is in fact very easy Old Smuggler is projecting his inability to do it, as a universal truth.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

If you do change them yourself (which is very easy to do) make sure you get the polarity of the new ones right!

12. JDN macrumors 6502a

Yes, soldering is well easy, you just need the right kind of soldering iron. And remember to use pre-fluxed solder!

I am now on the hunt for some blue LED's to replace the green ones in my black creatures. It might take a while, but ill post pics when i do it.

13. JDN macrumors 6502a

Has anyone seen any sutiable blue LEDs online anywhere? Ive been looking around, but havnt found any the right size.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And remember to not ruin your soldering iron by cleaning it before you turn it off. If the tip oxidizes, you wasted $$ :-(

15. JDN macrumors 6502a

Cant find small enough LEDs anywhere :mad: :mad: The smallest ive found is 3mm. And the ones in the creatures are 2mm. I dont want to staty messing with the surround for re-sale purposes.

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

17. JDN macrumors 6502a

What??

18. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

I think he was referring to my dilema, just telling me to buy some Creatures disregarding what color the LEDs were. In the end, I think I'm going to get the SoundSticks II