JBL Creature speakers! Any good?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gotohamish, Dec 23, 2002.

1. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

They're £95 with free shipping from Apple - I already have my G4 hooked up to my stereo (Mission speakers and Technics amp), but want to move that to the other room.

Are these speakers as good as the sound sticks?

Do I NEED them?:confused:

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: JBL Creature speakers! Any good?

just remember...no one NEEDS a computer...so no, you don't NEED speakers...but

i would get the jbl's over the soundsticks...

but personally...i would rather have the computer hooked up to a really nice stereo like mine :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

3. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

I 100% agree. The stereo Idea is a much better idea.

I have tried those JBL "UFO" speakers through a powerbook and I was not impressed. They still sound like "computer speakers."

It might be a little more expensive for the reciever and speakers, amongst other accessories, but it is worth it.

You could also get this thing:
    click here

Chad4Mac

4. Steradian macrumors 6502

ok

I love my sound sticks their awesome, but a little pricy compared to the creatures, so if money is no object I would go for the better sticks :).

PowerBook G4 1ghz, a 450 G4, dual ghz G4 (133), and baige G3 tower. :) Love em all!

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Are you looking for price reduction as well as quality reduction? If so, get JBL.

If you want quality reduction but no reduction in price, get the soundsticks.

If you want no reduction in sound quality and reduction in price, check out these speakers.

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

a friend of mine has the creatures, they sound awesome and look great to boot......

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

creature speakers are great. I got them real cheap through my discount. Bass is nice and no distortion with the exception of a couple of rave songs with lots a bass. One thing to keep in mind is that mine broke the second day i had them. I really dont care though, I work at an apple store and I know that some things just happen to break out of the box, doesnt mean that product now crappy, i just happened to get the unlucky one out of the group. I love the way they look and hwo the volume is touch sensitive. the speakers also glow blue underneath them. really goes well with my cold cathodes in my modded pc. looks nice next to my powermac as well.

iJon

8. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Thanks for all of your help! :D

I'm gonna hook the system up to my other stereos and see what's best - then maybe try to hear a demo of the creatures. They look like you're paying more for style than quality (the opposite of Bose, quality rather than looks). I might spend my £100 on the new Tri-port Bose headphones....

I took my iPod into the Bose store and asked if I could run the Tri-ports and Quiet Comfort 'phones through it. They said yes, then saw the iPod and were knocked out. They had a listen and said the immortal words - "this is way better than the crap we demo on, where can I buy one of these?"

For those interested, they demo on Philips CD/MP3 discman type things.

9. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I just got new soundsticks w/ iSub and they ROCK! like completely..good

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Speakers

I would like to start out by saying that I recommend a stereo system, since it will almost always produce a higher quality sound than any computer speaker system you can buy. If you're going to go with computer speakers, check out the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for a fairly reasonable price considering the quality of sound that comes through those speakers. Their 4.1 and 5.1 systems are in a class above any other computer speaker as well, but that comes at a price.

The SoundSticks don't provide near the sound quality you should get at the price they sell for. Looking at them next to a Mac in the store, they weren't even easy on the eyes. The JBL "creature" speakers are smaler, and don't look bad at all. The sound is nice in the high and low ranges, but lack depth in the mid-range.

Have fun looking for your speakers.