JBOD RAID on my PowerMac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by froggytreafrogg, Oct 27, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I own a PowerMac G3 with 2 hard drive disks. One is a 20gb and the other is a 40gb. I would like to combine the disks with a pseudoRAID type called JBOD. JBOD stands for 'just a bunch of disks.' It's not really RAID. What I'm after is to see these two drives as one 60gb drive. Is that possible? I'm running Mac OS X Tiger. Will appreciate any help. Thanks :apple:

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors G4

No, it's not possible. JBOD sees each disk as a single drive, and can't string them together. Sorry. :(

4. macrumors 601

Some JBOD implementations will concatenate the drives together. That said, I'm not sure there's anything in OS X that will do it.

5. macrumors G4

I've never seen this ability in OS X, and tried to keep it as simple as possible. ;)

6. macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I used to have a 500GB, 500Gb and 250GB hard drives in a concatenated JBOD array to give me around 1.2TB of disk space.

It mounts as a single drive (which I used as my Home). I used a separate 150GB drive to boot from, I can't remember if you can boot from the JBOD.

I did this in Tiger with my Mac Pro using Disk Utility,

7. thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

hi dark dragoon, thanks for the response. could you give me some details about how to go about doing this? Thanks.

8. macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I've attached a screenshot from Disk Utility.

I selected the first hard drive, choose the RAID tab, then dragged the drives into the volume list and clicked Create. I think it was pretty much the same in Tiger. As far as I'm aware you will loose the data on the drives when you do this.

However I don't think this is going to work the way you want it to, as it appears that it's not going to be bootable. Unless you have a third hard drive which you can put your OS on.

Attached Files:

9. thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks again for the reply

10. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Also remember if one drive fails, you will loose all information store on all the drives in the RAID. Just back up your data.