JBuilder Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ibookin', Mar 9, 2003.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I have to use JBuilder for class and whenever I try to compile something (even a simple "Hello, world" app) it gives me a StringIndexOutOfBounds error. I tried javac in the Terminal and it works fine, but doesn't support GUIs, so i can't use it.

Help is appreciated.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you're saying that a Hello World app is:

class HelloWorld
    {
    public static void main(String []args)
    {
    System.out.println("Hello World!");
    }
    }

and that doesn't compile, there's no good reason. I believe that Borland is using a different Java compiler though.

If it's more complicated code, please paste it so we can see.

3. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Yeah, that's what I mean by a "Hello, world" app. I guess there really is no good reason. I emailed my professor expalining the situation and he hasn't returned it yet. By the way, I tried JBuilder on Mac OS X, Win2K, and Linux and none worked.

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Borland

Borland uses the standard Sun impementation of JAVA, so that is not your problem. Its probably a configuration isue. Many IDEs are difficult to set up. I had Borland Jbuilder working my mac for a while but then switched over to Apples Project builder. I actuly prefer it. You might want to give it a try. For a shool project, its is more than what you need. Borland has a lot of features that you will never need, and it makes things more complecated. I also Like SunOne Studio 4 from Sun (Formaly Forte).

What do you mean javac doesnt support GUI's? What kind of GUI's are you making? Applets? Swing? You can code them, and compile with javac and then run them with an applet viewer or your web browser (you will need to write a 2 line HTML file to acressit).

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Borland

I think what he means is that there is no GUI designer in the bare JDK version, where JBuilder has an extremely nice designer.

I use jGrasp for development once I have the GUI part built, and I do that by using MetroWerks CodeWarrior.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

ah... I see

I guess I'm old fashond. I had to use vi to eddit and javac to compile... for everything. Thats great that your learing that stuff.

Are you a computer science student? How fare a long are you?

-evildead

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

JBuilder on Mac OS X? JBuilder on a Mac? holy crap i thought it was windows solaris and linux only.
    i used JBuilder on a Linux machine and hated it.
    i prefer project builder sweetheart ;)
    to evildead: ibookin'@mwny is a computer science student.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah, JBuilder 5 was the beta and JBuilder 6 was released over a year ago, I think. I was using the thing but it didn't work well for me unfortunately. I really like it and most Borland products.

9. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Borland

I would really like to use Project Builder, since I have found it to be much better than JBuilder for development (especially with Interface Builder). However, we are made to use JBuilder for our class projects I cannot use Project Builder.

I fixed the problem by simply using JBuilder 4 on my PC. It seems that every installation of JBuilder 6 and 7 I try does not work, including the ones at my school.

Thanks for the help, everyone.