Jedi Academy now Universal

Discussion in 'Games' started by ghall, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Star Wars Jedi Academy is now Universal. Get it here!

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am so happy that older games are getting the Universal treatment. My list of PPC only games is getting shorter and shorter. Come on Aspyr, keep them coming.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Quick question: Are these updates simple binaries, or full installations?

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Considering the samall file size of this UB update(7.5 MB), it seems it's only binary.

5. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Agreed. I really really want them to release a Universal Binary for Jedi Outcast as it keeps crashing on both my PPC and my Intel Mac (OS X 10.4.7) - any UB would no doubt include a fix for this, or at least I hope. :)

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Does it crash at startup? If so, when did it start doing so?

7. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

You know, start-up seems fine unless I am *hosting* a multiplayer game on the Intel Mac (Works fine on the PowerPC Mac Mini G4 with 1 GB RAM). The Intel Mac is a Mac Mini Core Duo also with 1 GB RAM.

I can JOIN just fine and play for a while without problems, some maps seem to crash after just a few minutes or even several seconds though. I notice the game sometimes even kicks the PowerPC Mac Mini out to the Finder's desktop though. Seems worse on the Intel model, though. I reinstalled the game on both machines at least 5 times. I have e-mailed Aspyr asking about the possibility of a UB for Jedi Outcast but no response yet (probably not til business hours).

Single player seemed OK but I didn't really play it as all I'm really interested in is multiplayer (on the LAN, not the Internet). I disabled firewalls, etc. too just to be safe.

8. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Right now the best config for Jedi Outcast seems to be, host on the PowerPC Mac Mini, join with the Intel Mac, run "known-stable" maps and avoid ones that seem to crash. Works OK but it would be great if we could play ALL the maps and not have *any* (or very few at least) crashes. :) I think one issue is the OS X Tiger compatibility problems (regardless of the CPU) and the other is the CPU issue. The game thinks I have 2 PowerPC G4s on the Intel Mac Mini Core Duo (which sort of makes sense duo to Rosetta) Performance is fine, but of course it could be more stable and compatible. Wish they would release a patch to address these issues.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hmm this is strange, because my JK2 doesnt even startup anymore. It worked fine till recently though. I reinstalled the game and it loaded fine, but when I tuned the graphics to 1024x768, MAX, game crashed and never loaded since. Trashing preferences files didnt help. Now I gave up LAN JK2 and play Starcraft on LAN with my friends :D

BTW how does JK runs on your CoreDuo mini, compared to the G4 mini?

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Lol, JK2 thinks I have an unknown CPU ;)

Detecting CPU........Found, PowerPC (unknown)

:D

11. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Runs fast on the Intel Mac Mini. Slightly slower load speed but once loaded nice and fast. I am running at 1024x768 on the Intel but 800x600 on the PowerPC I think. I am using Trilinear on the Intel Mac and Bi Linear on the PowerPC.

I had some luck in deleting the entire JK2 installation (the folder and everything from Applications) and then reinstalling from scratch. I still have the same problems though but it fixed a problem on the PowerPC with some preference file being constantly corrupted.

12. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Okay well now they have announced a UB will be coming out soon for Jedi Outcast, great! I got my wish.

13. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

E-mail from Aspyr:

14. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Does the new patch fix this?

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I dont know - I do not have the patch.

16. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

I have to say, I do have the patch (both PowerPC and Intel Macs) and it seems fine to me... faster and MUCH more stable than it was before.

17. actionjawa macrumors newbie

Theres a problem with the new patch. It does not allow you to run 3rd party mods~!!

Very annoying cause i wanted to play Movie Battles!

18. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

I got a copy today of Jedi Academy. Now I just need to install it, run it, quit, and then install the patch (universal binary, bug fixes) and I'm all set. :)

19. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

This is"normal".Because patches makes many under the hood changes, so most update will brake the 3rd party mod unless the modder updates his mod. That's sad but true...

20. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

I have not tried third party MODs yet with Jedi Academy on Mac using the patch but I do have the patch installed since I have an Intel Mac (Core Duo Mac Mini with 1 GB RAM). I just wanted to put it out there by saying that the performance in the game is excellent. The only problem I've discovered is the occassional repeating sound bug but that was carried over from the Windows version of the game and is a bug in the LucasArts code, not something Aspyr did wrong. They can't fix it unless LucasArts were to fix it in the Windows version.

(Same problem happens on Jedi Outcast).

Still, the game is awesome and runs nice and fast and looks good with the graphics turned up and everything. :)