Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast UB patch released

Discussion in 'Games' started by AnthonyKinyon, Aug 30, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast universal binary patch released, also fixes some stability issues with level loading.

Info here

I know this was posted in another thread but I haven't seen one dedicated to this game in particular. Sorry if this upset anyone, just trying to help people who really like this game. (Believe me, I was watching for this exact patch like a hawk). :) Thanks all.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sweet, when I get my Intel Mac this month I'll have to DL it :)

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

You will be disappointed!! I just installed the patch on my iMac, the game runs great but, with the following two BIG flaws! If you try to load or save a game, even after a fresh install with no save points you will get an error. That's right, this means you can't save or load games! Next problem is, on my 20" Intel iMac the highest screen resolution you can play at is 1024x768. If you try to go any higher, the video will squish to a box to the left of the screen, leaving the center and right of the screen black. Below are screenshots attached. Aspyr responded to my screen problem asking if I could just shift the image over using the "horizontal positioning option, if your monitor has one", which it doesn't.

Here are some video clips (they are about 1MB or less) showing the problems. The game does run great but, without the save and load features and the horrible screen resolution problem it's hard to have fun playing it.

Load/Save problem:
    http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Movies/jedi-load.MOV

Screen resolution problem:
    http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Movies/jedi-screen.MOV

I am very disapointed in this patch, it seems like Aspyr didn't even test the game! :eek: Has anyone else tested the game? Am I the only one who is having these problems? :eek:

Attached Files:

4. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

What's new in the patch

This was for Jedi Academy - oops. :) (Edited the post to remove the info since it does not apply to this thread)

5. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

That's not good. I haven't experienced the problem on my Intel Core Duo Mac Mini (1 GB RAM). However, I have not yet tried the game with the UB patch in depth, I briefly ran it with the patch before bed late last night just to see how performance was and to ensure it actually still ran. :) It seemed to fix some problems I was having.

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Wow another patch? I see there is now a Rev E, I was running the Rev C patch. Maybe this will fix some problems. I should be able to test it in a bit :) Thanks :D

Edit: I see that patch is for Jedi Academy, not for Jedi Outcast. D'oh!

7. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

I strongly urge you to report these bugs/problems to Aspyr via their support site so they can address this and hopefully fix the patch, if necessary. They seem to have a decent response time and answer with actual answers, not just a machine generated response.

8. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

I can't test this on my own yet since I am at work. In the mean time, maybe completely wipe the game off your computer, delete it from Applications, etc. (after making any necessary backups) and then reinstall from scratch, apply the patch, and see if you still have the problems? Just a suggestion that might help. Best of luck.

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I did, and this is what I got:

I also replied to them again stating that I had no saved games previously, that it was a fresh install, and that I can not adjust the LCD. We'll see what their next response is. I think we're playing beta tester for Aspyr, at least all these updates make it seem that way...:confused:

10. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

I am very sorry to hear this. I do commend Aspyr for actually stepping up the plate as far as releasing universal binaries for so many games so fast unlike MacSoft (who as far as I can tell, has pretty much only done Halo as a UB?) But still it is sad to hear of the problems you are having. I mostly play MP (multiplayer) anyway on my LAN in this game, so it doesn't affect me as much at the moment, but I hope it works out for you in the end.

11. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

You might want to trash game and reinstall. However, make sure you dump any previous preference files that may still be lingering after you dump game. Use spotlight to hunt down any extra files that may be left over. I've found that old preference files sometimes muck with a new install (especially if they got corrupted), and since this is UB it may not like your old prefs.

Good luck. :cool:

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting that you got that, because Brad Oliver said yesterday that they're aware of the problem and are working on a fix :confused:

I haven't tried JK2 on my iMac yet, but I'll give it a go tonight.

13. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah that is odd. I submitted the problem through Aspyr's Support site, I don't know why they would tell me that and not even mention fixing the problem. :( Well at least they're working to fix it :D

14. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Well if true, that's excellent. It could be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. It happens. :)

15. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a Mac version of Jedi Knight (the first one, the sequel to Dark Forces) ? Probably not for OS X even if there is I suppose, based on the date it came out (1997 or 1998 I think).

16. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I thought there was a version of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight for Mac but, after recent web searching I can't find any evidence for it. That would explain me looking for when I was a kid and not being able to find it for the Mac. Oh and on the Windows version box I have it says "Game of the year 1997" :)

But, the Windows version runs great in BootCamp - although it may of caused problems with my ATI drivers, which caused me to do a Windows System Restore :p

17. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

I do have Boot Camp with XP SP2 and as much as I dislike Windows compared to Mac OS X, the games I do run in Windows run well.

18. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oh and also I noticed while playing a bit on my iMac. There seem to be repeating sound-clips. Like the storm-trooper will say "We got'em!" and then faintly in the background you can hear "we got'em..got'em...got'em" a few times, sometimes this will go away though. Nothing major but, just a little bug. :rolleyes:

19. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

That bug is as annoying as can be but can be pretty funny. :D I've always skipped briefings Luke or Kyle or that bot give me and just go onto the mission. But now if I do, whatever word they're in the middle of saying becomes the sound for the menus when I choose my weapons. Jedi Academy at least plays fine, I have yet to try Jedi Knight II though.

EDIT: This is on a Core Duo Mac Mini BTW.

20. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I was trying to record the background sound that was repeating, in this case it was the fuel explosion, so I was recording it while walking around and I guess I should of been more careful because I was killed! Serves me right for testing it on Jedi Master mode (although God mode was on I think I might of turned it off...) Well anyway here's the video clip - it's actually pretty funny hehe. But, in the begining and end of the video clip you can hear the explosion noise in the background just repeating...:p :rolleyes:

21. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, nice backflip. How did you record the video anyway? :)

22. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Camera in one hand, keyboard in the other, which explains why I couldn't whip out my saber and slay those stormtroopers. :p

23. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

I second the nice backflip, but I'll have to give you only an 8 since it was an assisted backflip. ;)

24. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

"Assisted" - nice! :)

25. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I mistakenly thought you had used some software to capture the video. I was going to say the quality was remarkable.