Jef Raskin dies

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 27, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
  3. macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
  4. macrumors 68000

May 5, 2002
    Gold Coast, Australia
  5. macrumors member

May 14, 2004
  6. macrumors 65816

Feb 25, 2003
    Cold beer land
    Very sad to hear.

I recommend Jef Raskin's book "The Humane Interface" to anyone that writes programs or designs hardware.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Here’s to the crazy ones.

Rest In Peace, sir. And thank you for all you've done :) .

Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The rebels.

The troublemakers.

The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules.

And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them,

disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.

Because they change things.

They invent. They imagine. They heal.

They explore. They create. They inspire.

They push the human race forward.

Maybe they have to be crazy.

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art?
    Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written?
    Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?

We make tools for these kinds of people.

While some see them as the crazy ones,
    we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
    they can change the world, are the ones who do.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2002
    a great debt

We all owe this man a great deal.
    RIP Jef Raskin

9. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    Fixed the spelling - sorry. You know sometimes how you look at something a million times and not notice the glaring mistake in it?
  10. macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I did most of my term paper on Jef Raskin. He is the only one that can be credited for the Macintosh. If it weren't for him there would be no Mac.
    He took a lot of abuse from Steve, so I'm curious what he's thinking right now.
    Jef has left a huge mark on the electronics industry. He will always be remembered.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    Do tell...

I'm a Mac/Computer newbie and it's the first I've heard of him.

Rest in peace...
  12. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    Jef Raskin, the interface expert credited for the original Macintosh, passed away this weekend from Pancreatic Cancer.

According to a statement from his family, Raskin died Saturday night at his home in Pacifica. Raskin Joined Apple in 1978 as the 31st employee and spearheaded a small team on a project that would become the Macintosh.

Raskin was also responsible for naming the product "Macintosh" after his favorite fruit. Despite his role in the project, Raskin left Apple in 1982 after a falling-out with Steve Jobs. The Macintosh was launched in 1984.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Feb 9, 2003
    Durham, NC
    My condolences to his family.

Jef was only 61.

Truly sad.

Update: Mac co-creator Andy Hertzfeld has posted a tribute to Jef on
  14. macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    To Jef Raskin:

I may have come to the party late(over 1 year ago since I bought my first Mac), but you were a genius. I place you along side both Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak as geniuses that made my life wiith a computer better....even if Microsoft copied Apple's interface or if you copied it from the Altos, both you, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak helped make computers better for all of us and brought forth advances of the like we may never see again in our lives. Thanks for caring about about the user.
  15. macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    thats depressing. my aunt died in her 40s of pancreatic cancer.. thanks to him, im typing on a macintosh, not a "Jobs" or a "grapefruit".
  16. macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2003
    Is it only me...

It's always sad when someone dies, and Mr Raskin was truely a GUI pioneer - the Humaine Interface should be compulsary reading for all GUI designers.

Is it only me that thinks Apple should put some tribute to him on thier front page? They've done it for famous actors, dancers, visionaries and other talented people that 'think different' - why not Jef?

17. macrumors newbie

May 18, 2002
    met him once, impressionable guy

I actually met him once when he gave a talk at MIT on user interface a couple years ago. He had a real passion for making things simple and straightforward to use. I remember he talked about how terrible it is to have stove knobs all lined up in a row, and how to deal with the problem of running of bathroom tissues (not trivial). He did talk about interface between human and computer too. ;-) Meeting him, I could see how he came to the original Macintosh GUI.

I think he was somewhat disgusted by modern OS's GUIs, OS X included. It would have been interesting to see what he'd come up with if he was in charge of designing OS X's GUI.

Jef's a great guy. He'll be missed.
  18. macrumors member

Mar 14, 2003
    Strange coincidence

Anyone else notice that Jef died from the same cancer that Steve was just in the hospital for a few months ago? Strange that two of the original Macintosh team members were to have the same cancer affect each of them around the same time even though they are about 10 years apart.
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2003
    He was a nice man, I talked to him via email a few times. I wish all the best towards his family.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003

There are a couple of interesting things here.

1. In most pancreatic cancer it is fatal with 3-9 months (around 28950 out of 29000 per year). When I saw how quickly he died, I guessed it was from pancreatic cancer.
    2. Steve Jobs had the 'better' form of pancreatic cancer (the more treatable kind) last year. Islet cell. It is somewhat ironic that both had some form of pancreatic cancer.
    3. My mom passed away from it in April 1999 and I was one of the founding Board of directors of the leading Pancreatic Cancer charity - see for ways you can help from volunteering to anything.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    falling out with Steve?

Does anybody know more about his falling out with Steve? Seems steves ideas are great but often alienate people. Ah, the cost of genius.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2003
    The Utah Alps
    Thank you Mr. Raskin. Peace to you and your loved ones.
  23. macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2003
    State of Confusion
    So long, Jef.

Without the work of Jef, I would've never enjoyed computing as much as I do. (Or, have gotten a 4.0 in Interface Design in college way back when....)

I still miss the elegance of the original Finder. Not that I dislike OS X (far from it!), but I spent so much time on my 512Ke and I just loved the early systems. Sleek, efficient, and even a bit fun.

Jef will be missed.
  24. Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
  25. macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003