"Jericho" -- most underappreciated show on TV?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Anybody been watching Jericho?

I've caught it most weeks so far, and the stories are frankly quite unnerving, mainly because they are so realistic. There is no "sci-fi" aspect to this show; it's basically an attempt to show what happens to one small town when the U.S. is attacked with nukes.

The first thing that happens, of course, is controlled panic, as the citizens watch a mushroom cloud over the horizon, fifty or more miles away. The second thing is increasing anxiety as they discover that TV stations, phones and other communications devices no longer work.

I have to compliment the show for really playing down the soap opera aspects. There is, for example, a couple that is headed towards divorce when the disaster happens, but that is only one small part of the show. Most of it is built around survival. What do you do when your water stops running? How do you keep the citizens from turning into a panicked mob? Where are you gonna get your gasoline from? What're you gonna do for food when the electricity is out and everything in everyone's refrigerator is spoiling?

The writers also know how to play up the anxiety and fear factor. (Spoiler coming, for those who want to catch the show in reruns...)

One of my favorite scenes so far involves one character who has been doggedly manning a ham radio, trying to find out what's going on in the rest of the country. The town folk already know that Denver is gone, and they've heard that Atlanta may have been hit as well. In one chilling scene, as we watch, this character is listening to the ham radio on headphones, and he has a map of the United States in front of him. As he listens, he pulls open a drawer full of push-pins, and places one over Denver...and another one over Atlanta...and another one over Chicago...and another one over San Diego...and another one over Boston.... And as the episode ends, he's pulling out several more push-pins. Brr! :eek:

Last night they offered up something typically suspenseful. After days of no communication, every phone in town rings with an automated message from the Department of Homeland Security. TVs that were receiving nothing suddenly start showing the Emergency Alert System logo (though nothing else), and near the end of the episode, we see that logo replaced by an empty podium, as if someone is preparing to address the United States.

At the very end the citizens feel the earth rumble and go outside to see nuclear missiles being launched from the United States heading...somewhere....

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Sadly, though, while "Studio 60" and "Ugly Betty" and a bunch of other good shows are getting a lot of PR, I don't hear anyone talking much about this show. I hope people are watching, because it'd be a shame if Jericho ends up going the way of Smith (this TV season's first cancelled show).
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm watching it as we speak - it's the first time a major US TV drama has been screened so close to the US screening here.

The ICBMs are about to go up.

They can save this show with a bit of a plot injection. Time to focus a bit more on actions and events rather than the personal responses to the crisis. If they keep the show dealing totally with the people in the town it's going to get very "Lostish" very quickly - ie, people will lose interest.
  3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I've missed most of the episodes on TV, but I have caught up on them. I'm getting yesterday's show right now. With my church schedule, I'm out for all Wednesday night TV until about 10 which includes Jericho. But I really do like that show a lot, and Studio 60, while not as funny as they made it out to be in the previews, is still a really good show. They're both definitely in my current top 5 shows (Standoff and House are 1 & 2 :) )
  4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I don't watch it, but my parents do and they love it. I just heard my dad talking about it last night, how the most current episode was really good.
  5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    I honestly forgot it came on last night, so I missed it. I was watching "30 Rock" from 7:00-7:30.

I watched the first few episodes of "Jericho" but it just hasn't stuck with me. The first episode, especially, had a real "movie of the week" feel to it, complete with a heart-stirring speech from the mayor near the end. It looks like CBS does have the episodes up at their web site, so I may watch it there.

I thought NBC's Kidnapped was the first show to get the axe this season?
  6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Could be. I got my info from a headline I saw at CNN's site, but it's possible that Kidnapped could have been killed simultaneously or first.
  7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    It's not important to me -- I wasn't really watching either of those shows anyways. :D

I'm not just crazy about any of the new shows this season. I'm keeping up with "Studio 60", "30 Rock", "Heroes" and "The Nine", but I wouldn't be heartbroken if some of those don't make it.
  8. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I forgot it was on last night. I've watched the first few episodes and thought it was pretty decent.

I thought it was very cliche of them to have the main character arrive in Denver, uncover his very old gas guzzeler (being the only car in the parking space at that) then drive along the lonley dusty road. In almost any show where someone drives down a road like that they are driving a old car of some kind.

The last show that I saw involved a crises with gas shortage at the hosptial. That seemed to me to be the main theme for that episode and was kind of boring. If there is a shortage and you have to rely on what you have then what really is the point of using resources to keep someone barely alive when he is going to die anyway.

I think that the show is too compressed with information. But I will still try to catch it next week if I remember.
  9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Frankly I think the whole idea of the "prodigal son" returning to town just before the disaster hits is a cliché. However, once I overlook it, I enjoy the show a lot more.

I get fixed more on those memorable moments like the one I mentioned earlier: when every phone in town goes off at the same time, and those who answer it hear the message, "This is Assistant Director Walsh of the Department of Homeland Security. If you are safe, stay where you are. Help is on the way. You will hear from us again shortly." It's a creepy kind of moment, and it ratchets up the tension.

Incidentally, this may be a spoiler. I read this about an upcoming episode:

The town folks' hopes are dashed again when DHS calls and tells them that their resources are way overstretched, and that most people are on their own.
  10. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Honestly, I think Jericho was interesting, but it sadly often falls back on disease of the week movies, horrible tv movies in which:

1- The library gets on fire, a kid and woman needs to be rescued, entire town rallies to save them.

2- long plot lines with inference of subterfuge. but never saying anything. ie hints of spies, and even hints of being a hidden terrorist watch list.

3- marriage falls apart, yet husband can't leave his wife cause she decides she wants him still, but the other woman gets her feelings hurt. thus protecting marriage.

oh wait? this isnt a tv movie/mini-series it's Jericho. Honestly this kind of writing is bringing the show down. If they wanted to be cool, they would play up the wartime, terrorism aspects and ditch the stupid ass manipulative storylines.

ie the lameass saving the kid/woman in library and relationship drama.

give me a break, while I LIKE jericho, it is a new show that needs to improve. also.... Studio 60 on Sunset Strip is a GREAT show!!

i just hope they fix the show.
  11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I watch it but its not that entertaining. I've been watching it since night one but I find myself drifting away and yawning.

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    LOVE Jericho

seriously, that's good tv right there IMHO.

That and Heroes are my two new favs.

it's tv shows like that and others that have kept me from going to/renting a movie in months...

and to the OP, watch the spoilers, I havn't seen last night yet !

thank goodness for BT !
  13. relimw macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2004
    I rather like it, not stupid like the reality shows are. Would like to see what's up with Hawkins, seems kind of strange that he uses a sat-tel to read a russian website, and can access passport info....
  14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I caught it last week while in a hotel and forgot it was on last night but I did catch the last 20 minutes. Seems worth watching- added a Season pass to my Tivo this morning.
  15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Will do. Unless this turns into another ongoing thread like the Lost one. Then all bets are off. :D
  16. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Clovis, California

I agree, the show has/had a lot of potential, but the soap opera aspect of the show is killing my interest in it. Excellent plot, lousy story. :cool:
  17. pincho macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    i love this show and have been watching it since day one. CBS has ordered a full season of it, so expect a dvd release at least :p With the ending of the last epsiode, i think the show will take a turn for the better, with the whole love story/drama issue being overwhelmed byt the main plot as people realise the USA is at war and the world has changed forever.
  18. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Sorry, Arrested Development holds the highest award for being "The Most Under appreciated TV Show, EVER."
  19. pilotError macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2006
    Long Island
    I like the show.

The intrigue is a little laid back, a bunch of little story lines developing, but none that are very interesting.

I guess it bothers me that a bunch of folks on the show have family / relatives that are pretty much gone and they seem OK with it.

The show is much easier to watch on DVR though!
  20. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I agree. I watched the first one and found it incredibly hokey and poorly acted (the mayor? Oh God, please get another actor). Seen all this before, not impressed. And it's too bad, I thought the idea was great.
  21. achie25 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    I agree that the last episode was kind of lame. I like this show and it could be great if they start to progress with it a little. I am still going to tune in.

And I agree that Studio 60 is awesome!!
  22. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm gonna watch Episode 1 now.

Did anyone ever see a made-for-tv-movie by the BBC in the mid-eighties called Threads?

It was about what would happen to the UK under nuclear attack - which was quite a real possibility at the time. Friend of mine had in on tape a few years back and leant it to me. I couldn't make it all the way through! It disturbed me greatly... Apparently people of the same age (i was about 16 at the time) were watching it in class when it came out!!

23. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I've been watching Jericho every week... I quite like the show. I particularly like how we're suddenly not certain as to whether Hawkins is a good guy or a bad guy, or whether JAKE is a good guy or a bad guy (after all, he's made references to being bad in the past, and he was on a government watchlist seen by Hawkins).

My other new faves are Studio 60, Heroes, and 30 Rock.
  24. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    It reminds me alot of the movie 'The Day After'. Good series, but I'm never around to watch most of them.