Jericho season 1, part 2

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Feb 21, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the show about a town in kansas trying to survive after a nuclear attack has hit many cities in the united states, is back after a three month hiatus. i'm sure you have seen the recap show either on cbs last week or free on itunes, as there is alot of ground to cover if you missed the show or forgot.

first of 11 new shows for the second half is tonight at 8 pm and is going against american idol.

i'm not sure if they will air during march madness, as usually survivor is on wednesdays during the tournament, but they may put survivor on at 9 pm to put it head to head against idol.

it's not the best show on network tv right now (that's heroes or 24), but i think it's one of the most underrated shows, as it's something nearly everyone can get into.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Did you see the "catch-up" episode of Jericho last week? If they were smart, they'd make that a free download on iTunes so people who haven't seen the show before can get an idea of what it's about. :)

I like the show a lot. It's overly dramatic at times, but it's still got me intrigued.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

You mean, free like this? Link ;)

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

great first show back. it's glad to have it back after three months off. tonight was mostly a flashback of sorts, with them going back in the current time for the last 5 minutes or so. we saw some interesting character development in how their lives were before the bombs, especially jake.

as i suspected, robert is/was working for the bad guys, and instead of bombing columbus as ordered, skipped town to jericho with the family. and the canister keg we saw when it was raining was apparently the nuke. and now, if he doesn't return it to the bad guys, they'll kill his girl, since they know he lied. who are these guys? and it looks like the wife is getting suspicious of robert, ever since the nukes went off.

jake's history is clearly troubled. what exactly was he doing in those 20 months overseas? it looks like he got caught up in ravenwood, the same guys that attacked the hospital in red river earlier, and that for some reason, they were after them. i also am trying to figure out if ravenwood is anyway involved with the guys that put down the nukes? i'm saying it's 50/50.

interesting end with roger and emily hooking back up, who decided on emily instead of chicago, and then jake's old girlfriend from san diego also in the walk. was she even on the plane? what was she doing? i'm guessing those answers will be next week. also think about what this does to jake and emily with their old loves back.

clearly missing was dale and gracie, they were the only characters not seen in the flashback, and was a bit disappointed in that, especially since dale just shot a guy. also briefly missing was jonah's gang, but i think we don't need to waste time on them, i had enough of them on the other shows.

another thing, did anyone catch that list of cities gone boom on the laptop? can someone post a list, because there's an interesting theory i have about the nuked cities that could tie in ravenwood as a part of the nukes.

another good one set for next week.

6. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i keep wondering why the buzz isn't bigger on this show. i still think it's the most underrated show on network tv.

but great show again.

robert is going to confront the old man, along with his old girlfriend. could be the father, or it's the guy who planned the attacks in the first place. we'll get answers about who he's working for soon. and i doubt it's china, as it seems like it's just aid, as germany dropped some supplies over to another town. and of course, he mentioned ravenwood again. could ravenwood be in some way involved with the bombs? i'm starting to think they played some part, if not crafted the attacks.

and the news and the six presidents is a bit of a shocker. looks like chaos rules in the new world order. i'm thinking this will come into play in the future. can someone get that map up please?

dale seems very determined in getting what he wants, as it seems like stole the part or something from that trading post, as well as killing that other guy from an earlier show. and he's rich now...hmm. i would like to know more about him, as it seems like there's not enough coverage on him.

i did miss a bit, who's the lady in the red coat with jake? was that the girl on the bus? i think so, just wanted to get quick clarification.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's in yummy widescreen and 480p, also. :)

I am 75% following Jericho because I know one of the actresses... and I'm really proud of her for the job she's doing on it. But I've been secretly enjoying it too. ;)

8. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Well it is the most quality television on in that time slot....

Yes, I like the show :)

9. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Ya, I downloaded it off iTunes last night. Here is the list: Washington, D.C., Philadelpha, L.A., New York, Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, were all on the laptop. We do know that Atlanta was also hit. New York City we know made it safe. And Columbus, OH was another target we learned about last night.

So, what is the theory?

JohnMC

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I got my DVR in ... late 2005, I think. That would mark the last time I knew when anything was actually scheduled to air. I'm only vaguely aware of what runs on different days of the week. ;)

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

sorry i haven't updated the thread in a while.

last two weeks were mostly character development, we see the stanley and mimi relationship going during the survival, and jake confess to doing some bad things in war. (don't forget, him and his father were both in the army). this week, he gets involved with a "marine" girl when some fake marines come to town telling some half truths. it was pretty interesting, but it just seemed subpar compared to some of the earlier shows, but still good.

i really thought they were ravenwood tonight, but apparently they are not. but their name pops up alot, they are most likely connected to the nukes.

and a twist in the hawkins story, as his daughter kills sarah when she holds the family hostage. i think the daughter has more respect for robert, more of the father-daugther bonding we see there. and of course, the nuke in the house makes her take the kids away. wonder where they are going now. will the daughter try running away to be with robert?

one more thing, no show next week, likely because of some tourney rescheduling putting survivor in that slot. but it will be back at it's regular time in two weeks...and according to the previews, someone won't survive the show.

12. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

well, april died in the last episode, but i thought the scene where she died was ruined by the acoustic guitar song in the background (i don't know what it was), but i think the song wrecked the whole scene.

for those that didn't see, basically, her husband is by her side, she says something and dies, and then he starts standing by silently, and then the family comes in. they come in and support him and then they fade out into a commercial. scene is about 2-3 minutes long, one of the most important scenes in the series so far, ruined by some music plug.

just needed to rant there. could have been just no music and subtle sounds and that could have been an A+ scene. but the music brings it down to a C.

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So far I have been really disappointed by ALL of the music in the series. Not that they're particularly bad songs, just not the right songs for a particular scene.
    That and I often find the writing and directing a bit lacking. It's gotten a lot better since the pilot though. :)

14. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

okay, more bad music choices again, but good show otherwise. we see roger leaving town because of some ruckus in the town about the refugees, and everyone expect roger get to live with some of the townspeople. but at the end, we find out about what i suspected for a while...the fbi badge was a fake by robert, and looks like next week, we'll find out more about the terrorists no doubt.

15. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

looks like robert was working as a double agent (this smelled too much like the heroes show from a while back when mr. benett was found out to be part of a bigger conspiracy), was working for the cia as well as trying to get into some terrorist cell (which is in fact american extremists planning a coup and creating chaos). and of course they failed. i think the extremist takeover plot could be a big factor next season (i see an introduction of the extremists regime before the end of the season though).

four shows left in season one, and looks like we'll find a town secret next week.

show's getting better every week, especially after a brutal pilot. not the best, but it has potential to be a great show and last at least 5 seasons.

one more thing for you braves fans...have you noticed jake green (the show's hero), looks alot like jeff francoeur? i sometimes have called him jeffery or frenchy because of their looks. i hope they don't turn him into jack bauer later on (real possibility if the show is on for a long time, but he seems to be more calm and collective than jack).

16. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i rarely make commentary during the shows, but two things jumped out to me during that last segment.

1. robert hawkins is similar to a toned down, black jack bauer. at least he has jake to back him up and keep him from going psycho. jake seems to be more like tony though.

2. sean (the unwanted house guest) was just golden with his idea of fixing everything...the internet!!! get it back up and you can get everything virtual, government, cities, etc. funniest idea i've heard in a while. when the girl asked him how to get food, etc, he said order it off the internet. of course it wouldn't work though.

and what was on the top of that other town's city hall? i missed that part.

the show look like it's back from commercial. more after the end of the show.

17. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

whoa....this show keeps getting better and better...although i didn't get 100% of the plot though. sounds like this newberg place is looking to destroy the town. this plot is getting crazy.

heather is dead apparently, because eric and her saw the plans newberg had for the town, and we have a bunch of other werid plots going.

just three shows left.

18. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

it's official...the town has gone back into the days of old where towns fought against each other. it's like going back in time almost. you usually only see these type of plots in series taking place in ancient times, but it's the progression of a town after a nuclear fallout of being a small quiet town, to becoming a self sufficient society. i think this was a key part of the series. first the town was in panic, then they settled down and became slowly and surely, a self sufficient town. now they are fighting for supplies with the nearby town and will fight for survival next week. and everyone over 16 is fighting.

but i felt something was missing though that prevented jericho from being a great show...but it has gotten better as the season went on. i thought the pilot was cheesy and weak and i doubt i still would be watching, but great improvement. they have one more show this year, and i hope they end it good, as it looks like it's becoming war for them.

still, too many loose ends, but i'm thinking that will be exposed next season, especially the government. this series has tons of potential.

19. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I didn't think the show was still on... I watched the first half but then stopped after I guess I got bored with it. Meybe I'll catch up to it this weekend.

20. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Just finished watching it.

Definitely improving as the season goes. Still a little slow paced, but the characters are starting to develop.

Just makes you think...

21. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It's a good thing that Hawkins had that gun stash; otherwise, those people in Jericho wouldn't have a chance.

22. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You keep forgetting about the tank they have stashed away. ;)

23. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the end of season one

i thought tonight's show was kinda blah for a last show before hiatus. i think the passage of father to son with johnston dying (which i think was overdue) and jake now taking over as the leader was good, and the death scene was a bit better than aprils. this series has really improved and has the potential to become cbs' top rated show next to csi and survivor. but i suggest it stays in the current timeslot next year and run in two halves.

looks like we finally got a answer to the government story, and it looks like they are going to be a major factor next season. the government is in wyoming, and they have a new flag (nukes on your major cities will do that to a country), and all that stuff. looks like they were after robert's nuke and the whole town will be in big danger throughout the next season, with newberg and now the feds locking them down.

but i think the cliffhanger is a bit of a downer...i thought we would get an announcement by the corps, but i think that could be during the first show back. all we got is gunshots, which i think was more an open ending than a cliffhanger.

but the show has improved by what i thought was a C series up to a B+ (still has a bit to go yet, perhaps it can get to an A sometime next year if they fix a few things).

24. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I can't believe they killed off Johnston. He was a big part of that show, I'm not sure if the show will survive without him in the cast.

Was this the season finale? My damn dvr had an issue and I missed the first half of the show.

Oh well, Next season then...

25. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

there was a costco refrence in today's show (way we fight) btw, this was early in the show as johnston was about to fight newberg.

had to mention it.