Jerker Desk vs. Mikael Desk (IKEA)

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm going to KIEA tomorrow to pick up a new desk. But I can't decide between the

Jerker Desk

[​IMG]

or

Mikael Desk

[​IMG]

On one hand, Mikael looks very nice, especially with the glass top (ooh, shiny!) and it's design is really nice. Plus it's cheaper (even with the glass). But on the other hand, the Jerker is bigger, and has more space. I can't decide which one I should get... I'm edging towards the Mikael for it's nice looks, but I'm wondering if I'll regret getting a glass-top desk? Or regret the less space? What do you guys think?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Be warned: glass-topped desks can be a bugger with optical mice.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But there are these things called mouse pads. I have one. It was free from apple and it's wonderful!

The jerker however is something you can build onto. Check this out: http://adam.pra.to/jerker/

If you're into the other which I would be prone to getting over the jerker, then get it. What are your needs today and what will they be tomorrow?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think they're both pretty ugly but the Jerker is more ugly.

A question for you - what are you doing for storage for your DVD/software manuals/papers etc. I used to have a 'minimalist' desk but then discovered that one that offered options for drawers/filing cabinets was very useful in trying to keep things organised and tidy.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would go with the Jerker desk. It costs more, but IMHO it appears to be more solid for the price. The glass would be hard to maintain. I wish you good luck. Will look forward to a picture of your new setup. ;)

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

For my DVDs and CDs, I have a shelf. Storage is a nonissue for me. I plan to buy the matching drawers for those desks as well - I like the one for the Jerker better, it's this cool small double drawers that's attached to the bottom of the desk. The Mikael has a normal rolling cabinet.

I also know about the glass-optical thing, and that's not really an issue, I have a mousepad :)

Ugly? Heh... I'll give you the Jerker is a bit ugly, but it's damn functional. The Mikael ain't ugly. :) IMO, of course.

I hate desks that try to be an over-constructed contraception.

Figuring out what I need today and what I need tomorrow is hard, since those desks are very similar (The Jerker is only about 7 inches wider, that's all). Both those desks will serve what I want very well.

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I just went to IKEA last week-end to buy a desk... got a table top and four of those nifty 'VIKA INGE' legs.

You mount metal plates to the table top (they come pre-drilled. I had some problems with the first batch, though, kept twisting the heads of the screws, they just wouldn't go all the way in. Had to bring it back for a new set) and then connect each leg with a single screw. Great for moving or if you have to store the desk sometime...

I really like the looks, too. Very light.

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

I am typing this on a Jerker Desk right now. I'm not too sure about Mikael desk but Jerker has quite a number of attachments you can add on, like a cpu holder by the side, a printer holder, a drawer you can attach at the bottom so on. Do check with the salesman before you purchase. One bad thing about the desk is that it tends to leave those finger prints on the desk so you have to constantly wipe it to keep it clean (you can buy those leather cover for the desk at Ikea to prevent that though) All in all, I like the spacious part and I like my desk being simple and uncluttered.

9. angelneo macrumors 68000

Here's a pic of it.

PS: My powerbook isn't on my desk then, don't jump on me

Attached Files:

10. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

The Mikael Desk is sexy.
    Very modern, very streamlined, and clean.

11. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I got the Mikael. Have the box sitting downstairs :)

If my luck is bad enough, I might end up not having time to set it up until November :mad:

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

13. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I got the Galant table with A Legs and wheels a few months back.

14. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

That's exactly what I got, and very pleased with it I am too. Cost little over £50, and then I bought a chair to go with it for £100... :eek:

Oh, and any excuse to post the setup... [hastily rearranges everything for a pic]

Attached Files:

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You sound a lot like me. Purchase something and leave it in a box. Hopefully you can post a picture before Thanksgiving. ;)