Jerry Goldsmith dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

2. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Your music made those movies great Jerry, you will be missed.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I know Jerry considered "Total Recall" his best score, but I was completely awed by the score to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (wish I could say the same about the movie :rolleyes: ). I actually think he was a lot more versatile than John Williams, even though Williams has also scored a number of unforgettable film themes.

I'll definitely miss Goldsmith a lot more than Reagan... :D Whoops! I guess I should wait until the end of the current 6-month revisionist history period to say this. :eek:

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

wow, I didn't hear about that until just now. He sure has done a lot of scores in his career. My favorite is probably LA Confidential. He'll be missed!

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

One of my four favorite soundtrack composers--that's really sad. He really did have a knack for it--more versitile than Horner and probably even Williams, and created so many memorable pieces of music over the years. My ears will miss him.

My personal favorite of his is probably the Klingon theme; it first appeared (albeit briefly) in Star Trek: The Motion Picture along with the theme that eventually became the Next Generation theme, but it's a more memorable piece of music if you ask me and really defined the Klingons perfectly in the later films.

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I don't know if anybody knows this or cares, but he also did the music for the WWII movie TORA! TORA! TORA!.

The music in the opening of that movie is very good

At least his son can carry on in his name. Didn't help compose the music in ST: First Contact? I think he did

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I am partial to the music from Alien. Less theme songy but most definately mood provoking. I also love the music from Medicine Man. Jerry captured the South American rainforest feel with that soundtrack.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know either, but it would be wonderful if he had his dad's talent and wanted to carry on in his style.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. I have the DVD of "Tora Tora Tora."

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Dang, I didn't know about this until I saw this thread either!

A damn shame...loved that man's soundtracks. One of my favorites, "The Boys from Brazil"...and I practically wore out my old recording (vinyl) of "The Omen."

RIP, you friggin' genuis you. *sigh*

11. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Indeed; for all his top-notch sci-fi work, I had always assumed he was relaitively young, which made me all the more shocked when I saw this story.

Over 300 credits to his name on the IMDB, dating back to 1948--now that's something else. Almost as many as Horner and Williams combined. I also noticed he had a cameo role in both Gremlins movies, oddly enough.

14. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

I guess this proves no Liberal can ever take anyone's death seriously, of someone they did or did not agree with ideologically. Thank you for demonstrating the infamous Tolerance of the Left.

15. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

this is certainly a real tragedy. His scoring on Star Trek was always the best.

16. sonyrules macrumors regular

17. acdninjapan macrumors newbie

acdninjapan

The Man From U.N.C.L.E and Dr Kildare. I remember those classics. he will definitely be missed.